Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC Rubinar 300/4.5 test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: MC Rubinar 300/4.5 test Reply with quote

I, er, accidently purchased this one recently from a dealer at the same time as my Zeiss 35-70/3.4, as I'd heard it's a nice sharp mirror. To my surprise, it mounts the 5D with no extension tube required to clear the flash...as the 5D doesn't have a flash Surprised

It's rather big compared to my other 300mm mirror Surprised :

It almost dwarfs the 5D with its hood on:

Some quick snaps on the way to find my car (I'd left it at a mates before a rather heavy night out Confused Laughing ). I forgot to take the hood (doh!) and all shots were handheld between ISO 250 and ISO 800.

No crop as I missed the focus on his eye Embarassed

100% crop

100% crop

100% crop

100% crop

Well it was never going to be as sharp as a proper telephoto, but it's much easier to use handheld, and looks far less suspicious for street shooting! It's quite heavy on the 5D but definately managable. I will test the macro properly on a tripod at some point, and will update the results. What really surprised me is the "pop" that is evident in some shots Smile

Overall, very pleased Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a very capable lens , perfect for "paparazzos" Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh on #4 is what puts me off mirror lenses. The other images are really good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very sharp for a mirror lens. About as sharp as Tokina 500/8, yet the Rubinar is obviously over a stop faster.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish i could hold like that. looks a good one ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More shots here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1044548.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: This is why mirror lenses will always sell! Reply with quote

Very impressive ability to hold the lens steady!

I usually use a shoulder stock and try to brace, but then my street profile gets raised somewhat .....

Missed the eye focus eh? I am not surprised! My 500s are all F8 and I miss a few too.

Nice sharp apparently contrasty lens! Expensive tho!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: France Reply with quote

Great photos also!

You caught the girl in the air! Was she running away from you? Wink
Olympic walking event: she is said to be running if she fails to have a foot on the ground all the time.

Mirror lenses are meant to have no CA at all, yet another reason to like and use them. I have a few 300mm lenses and want to use them on my ep1. I will post if I ever get to do that!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: France Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
Great photos also!

You caught the girl in the air! Was she running away from you? Wink
Olympic walking event: she is said to be running if she fails to have a foot on the ground all the time.

Mirror lenses are meant to have no CA at all, yet another reason to like and use them. I have a few 300mm lenses and want to use them on my ep1. I will post if I ever get to do that!

Thanks for the comments Pat Smile She was certainly in a hurry, but then when your wielding a camera with a lens this size I think most people would run Laughing

On the 5D this remains an effective 300mm lens, so it is very easy to hand hold. I will test it against my Chinon 300/5.6 soon as that lens is much smaller and lighter to hold, but with a slower maximum aperture. I'd be interested to see whether I could use the same shutter speeds andretain sharp photos...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comparison would be an excellent one, as my 300s are inferior I suspect, but "good value".

I will try to take some when I can.

My money is on the larger, Russian lens!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's quite sharp! It captures a lots of details but that highlights bokeh is just too distracting in my opinion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N wrote:
it's quite sharp! It captures a lots of details but that highlights bokeh is just too distracting in my opinion

Same here... I find the sharpness to be extraordinary considering the focal lengths they come in. And I've always wondered why someone(company) had not put some R&D into producing a donut free bokeh version of these lenses(surely someone could do something). If anything... a PP plugin or equivalent that could remove it?

Other than that, the IQ is amazingly good imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that bokeh with donuts sometimes ruines the picture.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:

On the other hand, sometimes they can look nice - this with a Soviet made 500/8:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
vulko wrote:

On the other hand, sometimes they can look nice - this with a Soviet made 500/8:

HAHA!
Indeed...
Very nice effect in this way.