Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar f2.8/105mm ( preset ) candid portrait Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Takumar f2.8/105mm ( preset ) candid portrait Vietnam Reply with quote

some candids in north Vietnam taken with the small preset Takumar f2.8/105:
( on Pentax K-x, after resizing one click on 'sharpening' in PS )

best greetings from Hanoi,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific results, bokeh and colors!

Now that you are in Vietnam you should as well visit the Pentax lens manufacturing plant in Hanoi, though I do not think they will give you a tour Smile

The reason why I'm asking this is I really want to see how that plant looks. Maybe you can also find out how they assemble the FA Limiteds now Smile

The address:

PENTAX VN Co., Ltd. / VIETNAM
Sai Dong B, Industrial Zone, Thach Ban Village, Gia Lam District, Hanoi, VIETNAM
tel: (84)-4-8750418

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

oh, what a terrific idea! I knew they had a plant around here, but I had not made the effort to find out the address. Now that you gave it to me I should try to go there, better to call first to find out if they let me in? - However I think there is little chance they will..

Btw. unfortunately I still have had not much time to try out the Super Tak f.19/85 I got from you. I had made some stations travelling up north from Saigon which meant going light, now only carry 4 lenses, and the hard choice was between the S.T. 1.9/85 and the preset 2.8/105. I chose the 105 for being smaller, lighter, less obstrusive too..but I sure hope that I soon will be doing more with the S.T. 1.9/85!

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent portraits, I do love the 105's! And your photography of course Smile

Ha! a tour of a Pentax lens factory! that would be cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
oh, what a terrific idea! I knew they had a plant around here, but I had not made the effort to find out the address. Now that you gave it to me I should try to go there, better to call first to find out if they let me in? - However I think there is little chance they will..

Indeed, but since you are a foreigner... Who knows! But a lot of Pentax people would love to see pictures of the lens manufacturing plant, even if only from the outside. Maybe they even have a factory shop (well, that's wishful thinking Wink)

Quote:

Btw. unfortunately I still have had not much time to try out the Super Tak f.19/85 I got from you. I had made some stations travelling up north from Saigon which meant going light, now only carry 4 lenses, and the hard choice was between the S.T. 1.9/85 and the preset 2.8/105. I chose the 105 for being smaller, lighter, less obstrusive too..but I sure hope that I soon will be doing more with the S.T. 1.9/85!

Of course, I'll be the last one telling you which lenses to take with you. At least you have the choice and that's great too, isn't it? The 105mm pre-set is a magnificent piece of glass and your pictures certainly show it...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series Andreas, thanks for the visit
my favs #1#3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Excellent portraits, I do love the 105's! And your photography of course Smile

Ha! a tour of a Pentax lens factory! that would be cool.

thank you Jussi. It had been a while since I did candids, but then I recently have been travelling with a buddy who is doing stunning candids, catching expressions with his bridge shooting from the waist..which made me do these few...

yes, a tour would be fantastic!

Spotmatic wrote:

Indeed, but since you are a foreigner... Who knows! But a lot of Pentax people would love to see pictures of the lens manufacturing plant, even if only from the outside. Maybe they even have a factory shop (well, that's wishful thinking Wink)

not sure if being a foreigner would be enough reason, I wished I had a few Pentax Limited lenses to show them that I am a good client, and for some more other reasons Smile

I did find a little shop here in Hanoi selling new Pentax lenses, maybe at prizes a bit cheaper than at least in Europe. Since they also have some used lenses I had asked them for the FA f2/35mm and..to my suprise, after a phone call, the shop attendant told me that I could have..a new one! ?? what to think of that?

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific results, I love the bokeh!

And everything is pretty sharp... Amazing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first ones are my favs, very nice colors, I wouldn't expect that from the lens Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning portraits ! I like all of them, nice vibrant colors!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent candids! Nice one Andreas!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great portraits. Well done

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Andreas, wonderful captures!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
WOW Andreas, wonderful captures!!

100% agreed!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great series. Bravo!! Takumar f2.8/105!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like you and the K-x are working well together.Do you still not like the colours as I think these are amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you everybody for your favourable and kind comments.

Some of you mentioned the pleasant bokeh. I actually decided to show these from because of a recent thread asking for a good 100mm with good bokeh with rather rounded circles even when stopped down. This preset 'only' has 8 blades but I think it does quite well in those respects. ( http://forum.mflenses.com/help-me-choose-a-good-100mm-t29669.html )

I am specially pleased that some of you mentioned liking the colors. I have been battling with liking the colors the K-x produces as compared to my earlier *istDs. However I had been using RAW on the *ist only, the colors of the jepgs were quite ugly, and, because I had read various reports that users could not come up with matching quality converting RAWs themselves and sometimes do not have access to a PC for days filling SD cards had been using mostly jpegs on the K-x. Trying to get better colors recently I again only use RAWs and now, Mo, I do like the colors much better!

to clarify about the subjects:
in the original post first pic was taken in Hanoi, all others are tribals in the far north bordering China, but the second pic which is of a local tourist there.

I guess the better one had been shown, but here a few more, again one click on 'sharpen' after resizing in PS, and again from north Vietnam, first one in Sapa:

these from Bac Ha, selling the local brew ( ogghh, really strong stuff! )

and a 'global' image Very Happy from Hanoi:

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply BEAUTIFULL portrait, a great reportage from your country, perfectly catch with a lot of emotion and simplicity .......
This lens provides actually superb colours and a lovely bokeh, are the shots all wide open???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Simply BEAUTIFULL portrait, a great reportage from your country, perfectly catch with a lot of emotion and simplicity .......
This lens provides actually superb colours and a lovely bokeh, are the shots all wide open???

oh no, NOT wide open, though I believe the last one of my first post probably was.
btw. this is not 'my' country, but a MOST lovable country indeed and I am very happy about your words: 'lot's of emotion and simplicity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear kuuan as these skin tones are spot on.I hear most local brews are potent... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booze of tribal Bac Ha is renowned to be very strong. We found out after my buddy got badly drunk the first night there Smile

not candid, but being photos from Vietnam, I want to show you this one too:
ladies dressing up and modeling for their boyfriends to take their photo in public spaces, parks, is a big pasttime here
I was lucky to catch some too Wink

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good series, I like the candids, especially the "global" one Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photos!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck finding the Pentax factory ? Smile
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, welcome to the forum Transit!

now Pete that you ask me in your very first post here about my luck finding the factory:
I had located it on my city map, and it is not too far, had planned to go there tomorrow anyway, on my last day in Hanoi.
So far I had been too chicken to call to ask for an appointment, but your post made me call earlier today. I was put through to someone who spoke English very well, from his accent I would say he is Japanese.
He asked me how many people were in the tour, thus I had the impression that tours for groups are done and can be arranged!
But well, it is only me. He told he must talk with the management, I gave him my handphone number, hopes he will call me back tomorrow to have me come. But my impression is that he was - typically for Japanese - simply not saying 'no' straight out, but that he may have meant it Sad
I sure hope that I am wrong and that I get a tour tomorrow!