Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses advice request
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Lenses advice request Reply with quote

Hi all.

In my presentation Attila wrote

Attila wrote:
Nice to see you here Andrea! Just let we know if you have any question about M42.

So I accept his invite and I'm asking your advices. Very Happy

Having one Contax 167MT with 50/1.7 T* but not enough money to buy other contax lenses, I decided to buy M42 lenses. Mostly I take B&W street photography (but sometimes I like also to take colour shots) so I would complete my lenses in two steps. First step will be one wide lens (28 or 35) plus one medium tele (135); second will be one tele (200) plus one medium tele for portrait (85 or similar). Other steps? Maybe but for the moment I will stop here.
So I need your advice.
What would be, on your opinion, the best lenses that can satisfy my requests? And, finally, can you advice me also one good adapter from C/Y to M42?

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrea, I don't know the M42 to C/Y body adapters, so I can not advice.

As for the lenses these are my suggestions, very "budget wise":

35mm. your best bet is I think a Yashica ML 35mm. I have one, and it performs at the same quality as the Contax Distagon 35mm. The yashica one usually sells at around 50 Euros. Sometimes less.
Then there would be the Mir-24M, which is faster than the Yashica (it's a f/2 while Yashica is a f/2.Cool, but it's very difficult to find in M42 mount. You can find it often in Nikkor mount.

135mm: Jupiter-37, any version. If you are careful you can buy it with 10-20 Euros.

200mm.: Jupiter-21M, another terrific lens, in my 200mm test it arrived close second after the CZJ Sonnar 2.8/200, and before the Pentacon, Nikon, and others. You can buy a Jupiter-21M for around 20-30 euros.

If then you want to get wider with a 20mm and can spend around Euro 150, I strongly advice the CZJ Flektogon 4/20. Avoid the 2.8/20 version, it costs more and performs worse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't resist:
Mir-1b 37mm it's very "flektogonish" for small budgets.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree with above opinion.

Don't forget Tamron SP zooms, they provide same quality as prime lenses and C/Y adapter widly available.

My favorite lenses in M42:

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f/2.4
Meyer-Optik Görlitz Primagon, Lydith

Jupiter-9, Asahi Pentax Takumar 85mm f/1.8

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f/3.5
Pentacon 135mm f/2.8
Asahi Pentax Takumar 135mm

Meyer-Orestegor 200mm f/4
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm, 200 mm

not for M42 but all Nikkors are very good lens in any focal length.

You have lot of choices if you select any lens czj, jupiter, tamron I guess you will not disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the mf lenses, I would recommend:

Primes:
180°-Fisheye: Peleng 3.5/8 (What else?)
Fisheye: Zenitar 2.8/16

28mm: Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 2.8/28
35mm: That's tricky... Two favourite lenses: Asahi SMC Takumar 3.5/35 & MIR-1B 2.8/37
50mm: Pentax SMC 1.7/50 (K-mount) & Mamiya Auto Sekor 1.8/55 (M42)
85mm: Jupiter-9 2.0/85
100mm: Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.8/100 V (but the Hanimex Tele-Lens 4/100 is also very nice!)
135mm: Oh, even harder! Three favs: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 4/135 1Q & Jupiter 37-A 3.5/135 & Pentacon 2.8/135
(But my Greens London 3.5/135 and my Weltblick 3.5/135 are also really nice, much better than I've expected.)
200mm: New favourite... Telear-N 3.5/200 (That is a fantastic lens!)
300mm: Tair 3-S 4.5/300
500mm: Beroflex -5°- 8/500

Zoom lenses:
Wide/normal zoom: Sigma Zoom-0 II 3.5-4.5/28-85 MC
(And the Tokina SZ-X 4-5.3/28-105 SD is not bad either!)

"megazoom": Soligor C/D 1:3,8-5,3/35-200 MC Zoom+Macro

tele zooms: Soligor MC 3,5/70-220 Macro & Tokina RMC II 4/80-200

And from 28mm to 500mm these lenses are quite affordable.

If you feel like starting with a M42-allround-prime-equipment on a rather tight budget, I would recommend these lenses:

- Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 2.8/28
- MIR-1B 2.8/37
- Mamiya Auto Sekor 1.8/55
- Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.8/100 V
- Jupiter 37-... 3.5/135
- Tair 3-S 4.5/300

You should be able to get the whole bunch for under € 200,-
And you'll have great lenses that are versatile and good enough for almost any case.

Carsten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
If you feel like starting with a M42-allround-prime-equipment on a rather tight budget, I would recommend these lenses:

- Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 2.8/28
- MIR-1B 2.8/37
- Mamiya Auto Sekor 1.8/55
- Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.8/100 V
- Jupiter 37-... 3.5/135
- Tair 3-S 4.5/300

Hi, i'm new in the forum. I recently decided to buy a couple of lenses on that list after much reading elsewhere. I'm glad you agree with my choices Smile. I just received the M42 adapter for my digital Canon eos and i'm waiting for the mamiya to arrive. I'll probably also buy the MIR-1b tomorrow. I've never used a manual focus lens with my camera, so i'm new to all this stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naplam wrote:

Hi, i'm new in the forum. I recently decided to buy a couple of lenses on that list after much reading elsewhere. I'm glad you agree with my choices Smile. I just received the M42 adapter for my digital Canon eos and i'm waiting for the mamiya to arrive. I'll probably also buy the MIR-1b tomorrow. I've never used a manual focus lens with my camera, so i'm new to all this stuff.

The mir-1B is a "lover's lens", meaning that it's a lens with a strong character in term of color and image output - one may love it, one may not - but it's not the sharpest lens in the bunch of manual wideangles - I just wanted to warn you on this because many people look for sharpness as a primary value in a lens - I don't, so I like the Mir-1B, because it has warm colors and makes the pictures look super cozy, very "Kodachrome-like" if you know what I mean.
If instead you value more the resolvance, you should look elsewhere, like for instance, the Nikkor 35mm f/2 pre-AI, old lens, but excellent quality, which has been tested to exceed the actual resolvance of even the modern films.
A warning good for all Nikkors: there is some copy variance (that is, many copies are good, but some can be lemons)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, napalm!

Welcome here! I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting with mf lenses.
Once you got the virus, it is hard to get rid of it again. Wink

Orio is right, although I never was dissatisfied with the sharpness of my MIR-1B, at least from f4 onwards.
The Asahi SMC Takumar 3.5/35 is sharper when wide open.

Still, I (similar to Orio) love the MIR-1B.

I'm looking forward to your experiences, napalm.

Carsten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hi, napalm!
I'm looking forward to your experiences, napalm.
Carsten

Naplam sounds friendlier Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this typing mistake Napalm Smile funny.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Naplam sounds friendlier Wink

Ooops, that's right, Orio! Sorry, Naplam!

I was wondering about the way you "shoot", when I typed "napalm". Wink

Carsten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've followed your advices, so I made first two purchases:

CZJ 135/3.5 MC (I know that someone adviced Jupiter 37 or Takumar 135 but there is something in CZJ that attracts me)
MIR-1B

Now it's time I look for an adapter, but, in the meantime, as I have an adapter M42-EOS, I will test the lenses, as soon as they will arrive, on my EOS3. I'm simply bursting... Very Happy

Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anbe wrote:
Ok, I've followed your advices, so I made first two purchases:

CZJ 135/3.5 MC (I know that someone adviced Jupiter 37 or Takumar 135 but there is something in CZJ that attracts me)
MIR-1B

Now it's time I look for an adapter, but, in the meantime, as I have an adapter M42-EOS, I will test the lenses, as soon as they will arrive, on my EOS3. I'm simply bursting... Very Happy

Andrea

The name, the name Carl Zeiss Jena Smile not sure it is better than competitors , but the name is legendary Smile congratulation for your new toys.