Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MD and FD on EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: MD and FD on EOS Reply with quote

Hey guys. In the last couple of months i saw a bunch of Canon FD and Minolta MD lenses selling for cheap. Various 50mm f/1.4 or similar for 20-30 euros, with the camera. I know there is no infinity with them, on EOS, but what maximum focus distance could i get, if i mount them with glassless adapters? Will they be usable for headshots and similar close-up photography? Does anyone have some experience with them on Canon?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: MD and FD on EOS Reply with quote

alexthekid wrote:
Hey guys. In the last couple of months i saw a bunch of Canon FD and Minolta MD lenses selling for cheap. Various 50mm f/1.4 or similar for 20-30 euros, with the camera. I know there is no infinity with them, on EOS, but what maximum focus distance could i get, if i mount them with glassless adapters? Will they be usable for headshots and similar close-up photography? Does anyone have some experience with them on Canon?

Macro only. Longer focal lengths gives you a little more shooting distance.I'd say go for it. If you can buy them that cheap. Smile You can always shoot them on film bodies, which is alot of fun.

The price of used M4/3, and Sony Nex bodies have came way down, so that's a good option also.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's a shame. I was hoping for at least 2-3 meters. Anyway, thank you, Walter, for the info.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexthekid wrote:
Well, that's a shame. I was hoping for at least 2-3 meters. Anyway, thank you, Walter, for the info.

Here's a picture I just took, with my Minolta 50 1.4 at 5.6, set at infinity on my Canon EOS 10D body.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really close for infinity.
I love macro and close-up photography and i have the ef-s 60 macro for that. So i will probably pass. Or maybe i should get something like a NEX Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no wish to cause a flame, but did Canon abandon its older users so completely they did not even provide for an adapter? That is cold profit seeking if I ever heard it

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I have no wish to cause a flame, but did Canon abandon its older users so completely they did not even provide for an adapter? That is cold profit seeking if I ever heard it
Any adapter would not allow for infinity, so I guess that's why one wasn't made.

The mount change was a bold move, but all the EF stuff works on modern cameras. Try using a pre-Ai lens on a modern Nikon.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin

Are you suggesting the pre-AI lenses don't work on modern cameras? Not on Nikons, but they are at least 40 years old! They can often be adapted to AI, as well. All nikon lenses since AI will work on modern nikon cameras. What we are talking about here is that Canon abandoned their user base not once, but twice. I am mystified that anyone would trust them again.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's the reason why FD lenses sell for cheap. You can't use them on a DSLR .

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
patrickh wrote:

Any adapter would not allow for infinity, so I guess that's why one wasn't made.

Original Canon FD-EOS adapter ... Click here to see on Ebay

Description by Marco Cavina

It's a "glass" adapter and allows for infinity focus for a range of lenses, most of which are teles.

Apparently Canon also made a simple mechanical adapter - limiting lens use to close-ups.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just $500? Shocked Damn ...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexthekid wrote:
Just $500? Shocked Damn ...

That's just the starting price - no bids yet.

Look at this one ...Click here to see on Ebay

3,200 USD BIN - 24 offers so far.

BTW The guy in the first listing is selling all his Canon stuff and moving to Nikon.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Try using a pre-Ai lens on a modern Nikon.

I'm not sure what you mean by "modern". pre-Ai lenses will work on the D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000 & D5100. The first was released in 2006; the last appeared last year. These are Nikon's "entry level" or cheaper cameras. On more expensive cameras it is necessary to carry out a small modification of the aperture ring of the pre-Ai lens. It's not difficult.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

Look at this one ...Click here to see on Ebay

3,200 USD BIN - 24 offers so far.

BTW The guy in the first listing is selling all his Canon stuff and moving to Nikon.

That's beyond my capability of understanding and logic. But who knows, maybe they have too much money and don't know what to do with it Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also conversion kits for certain Minolta lenses, but there is a cheaper alternative. I haven't tried this adapter, because I have a 10d and it won't work on one.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "modern". pre-Ai lenses will work on the D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000 & D5100. The first was released in 2006; the last appeared last year. These are Nikon's "entry level" or cheaper cameras.

No metering on these bodies though, urrgh! And yes, pre-Ai lenses can be hacked around to work on newer higher level models, if you're into that sort of thing, but the proper kits are hard to find and expensive as a result. Our friend Stan can make old FD lenses work on Canon DSLRs if we're going to start taking things apart too Wink

That said, the compatibility of old Nikkors on modern Nikons is still better than old Canons on modern Canons Laughing But Canon users DO get access to M42, Nikon, Contax, Olympus, Leica, PK and all sorts of other goodies which is probably a good enough substitute Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, that is exactly why I bought a 40D canon. Unfortunately I dropped it and it broke, quite comprehensively. Now I am making do with a Nex 5N.

patrickh

BTW there is absolutely no question that canon makes some phenomenal lenses and cameras, it's their marketing I mistrust.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
sichko wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "modern". pre-Ai lenses will work on the D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000 & D5100. The first was released in 2006; the last appeared last year. These are Nikon's "entry level" or cheaper cameras.

No metering on these bodies though, urrgh!

That's why the're cheap (a relative term !) - they don't do everything. Not everyone can afford an expensive body, and some of those who can choose to spend their money on other other things. And these entry-level bodies are small and light - for some people this is a distinct advantage.

As to the lack of metering - some people learn to live with it. Chimping is not too difficult. If you look on Flickr, and indeed on this site, you will find plenty of examples of fine pictures taken with a cheap Nikon body and non-metering lenses.

Of course if you use a Nikon lens on a Nikon body you retain automatic aperture, which is something you lose if you use the lens on some other platforms.

Quote:
And yes, pre-Ai lenses can be hacked around to work on newer higher level models, if you're into that sort of thing, but the proper kits are hard to find and expensive as a result. Our friend Stan can make old FD lenses work on Canon DSLRs if we're going to start taking things apart too Wink

I don't think that you are being very kind to Stan. Surely the skills and equipment required to re-engineer an FD mount are far greater than those needed to effect a DIY Ai conversion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, here is another one, for 35 euro
http://www.limundo.com/kupovina/Tehnika/Kamere-i-Fotoaparati/Analogni-fotoaparati/Minolta-XD-5-dva-objektiva-50-mm-i-75-200-mm-/5379544

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexthekid wrote:
Damn, here is another one, for 35 euro
http://www.limundo.com/kupovina/Tehnika/Kamere-i-Fotoaparati/Analogni-fotoaparati/Minolta-XD-5-dva-objektiva-50-mm-i-75-200-mm-/5379544

The 75-200 4.5 was one of the lenses that was a joint project between Minolta and leica.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the price doesn't go too high, i think i will go for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a comparison of the Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC lens, with and without a cheap ebay FD->EOS glass adapter.

Test set up: The two test patterns are stuck to a window, one in the centre, one in the corner. I usually use the brightness of the outside light to stress the contrast performance of lenses. In this case, I chose to have the sun falling onto the back of the sheets, which makes it the hardest possible test conditions for the lens.

Lens with no glass: Panasonic GH1
Lens with glass adapter: Canon 60D

I've tested the Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC before (not in the full sun test setup), and it's a very good lens. It's contrasty, sharp and there is almost no CA.

Wide open (F1.4)

Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC @ F1.4, centre, NO GLASS adapter:

Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC @ F1.4, corner, NO GLASS adapter:

Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC @ F1.4, centre, WITH glass adapter:

Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC @ F1.4, corner, WITH glass adapter:

At F4:

Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC @ F4, centre, NO GLASS adapter:

Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC @ F4, corner, NO GLASS adapter:

Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC @ F4, centre, WITH glass adapter:

Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC @ F4, corner, WITH glass adapter:

Notes:

1. The glass adapter looks like it doesn't have any multi coatings on it. This probably explains the very bad contrast performance wide open.
2. The glass adapter doesn't seem to have much effect on the sharpness in the centre, the image sharpness being surprisingly good. Even the contrast at F4 is reasonable.
3. The performance of the glass adapter in the corner is simply awful.

Conclusion:
The corner performance of these cheap FD-EOS adaptors is very bad, as is the contrast wide open. Stopped down, the centre performance is acceptable for both contrast and sharpness.

Uses:
Perhaps used as portrait lens, stopped down a little.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dnas, when I tested my multi coated MD/EOS adapter with glass I got decent results under a couple meters. The problem comes in at any father distance. I considered the results totally unusable even for web posting. That's the main reason I bought my Panny G1.
Have you tested your adapter at any longer distances?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Dnas, when I tested my multi coated MD/EOS adapter with glass I got decent results under a couple meters. The problem comes in at any father distance. I considered the results totally unusable even for web posting. That's the main reason I bought my Panny G1.
Have you tested your adapter at any longer distances?

That was not close, it was around 5m.

The problem with the contrast wide open means the shots are just about unusable, even in the centre where the sharpness is good.

I will post up some more shots later(at 20-30m), but the shots at F4 are quite reasonable in the centre.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that isn't a 50 1.4 anymore, "thanks" to the adapter.
I don't see the point of using them, either have the lens converted or put it on a mirrorless.