Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A photographic challenge!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: A photographic challenge! Reply with quote

What do you guys think of a challenge to present your country as it is, not as it is seen through TV,Film,sports.... or not as the media presents it?
I am thinking the US is always portrayed as this or that what about some images as it is in "normal" life.
And can we apply this rule to all our countries.
What do you think an achievable workable challenge?I am struggling to express what I mean...help! Very Happy
I think to be able to use any film,digital camera...MF lenses and any films etc slide,fast, slow and B&W that you choose to use.
For those of you who want a bigger challenge maybe allowing short camera films (using the cameras in built video function+MF lense) as well to capture the true nature of your country...every day life!
What do you think?
Main aim trying to break away from stereo typical images of your country!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea Mo.
I think there is a number of members here who are already doing that.
I think I'm in the number - in my pictures I don't show any pizza, mandolins, gondolas, spaghetti and mafia guns, LOL Laughing
Of course I think everyone tries to photograph nice things leaving the ugly undocumented - but if you want to see the ugly, too, we can provide plenty Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it Orio! I think ugly should be included...after all not everything is considered beautiful but I think everything has some beauty to offer to someone Very Happy
Thinking out side the square encouraged and if you could write a description with your photo of what you are trying to show or see if your picture indeed speaks for itself.
Main aim.....Show off your country's "everyday life" without stereo typical photos/images.
Post here in this thread unless we need a special spot....judging by ourselves with a poll maybe?
Should it go for a month and do you think that is enough time for home developers or those who have to send away for scans/development.
I would like to see fresh images NO stock ones...ie ones that have been taken before this date Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can handle rural Alabama ... Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

difficult challenge
like comparing all MacDonald around the globe
some small differences, like my mountain is higher than yours
but grass have same color all over the world
salary make more difference than country of residence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Poilu
I am thinking everyday things that we do...or urban images...I want to see if we do, do the same things...boring things,the moments of the day where we just do the normal and don't even notice....stuff like that,things that don't usually get photographed because it is mundane,average,non-stereotypical....I don't know any other ideas out there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I begin Smile
Taken this early morning. The market of Salsomaggiore Terme, which takes place every Tuesday and Friday.
Thinking about it, this is one place that would have looked a lot different if the pictures were taken 20 years ago. Back then, all sellers were local. Today, almost no seller is local anymore, and the large majority comes from outside the EU (China mostly). But some of these new sellers sell the old local stuff, like the south american family of picture #11, who sells the porcini mushrooms (one of our local special products). Sign of the times. Smile

Click here to visit gallery

This is a screen grab of the thumbnails page (just for decoration):

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on it! Lets break those mass media stereo types!

Just need to get a couple of bears... a balalaika... some vodka and make them beasts drink vodka and play balalaika! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Mo!
I'll see what I can come up with from the other side of the globe. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: 10 from Vienna, Austria Reply with quote

oh Mo, this is a great idea!
Actually I try to do just that, show the daily, the average, even in the countries I travel - though there I do make compromises and may not do the right thing, after all they are not my 'home' countries.

When I am back in Vienna, Austria, I do not have much time for photography, but during commuting to and fro work.

I hope some qualify to your idea:
( I simply checked what's already there at my flickr and ooops, I hope that won't be too many )

hu, already 10..I will cut this, and show some more in the next post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: 8 more from Vienna, 1 Tyrol, 1 Lower Austria Reply with quote

more from Vienna:

one from Tyrol, and yes, they did not dress up for tourists, but because they like to Wink

and a typical farmer woman from a village near my parents house, in the province of 'Lower Austria', some 120 km west of Vienna

if I am not mistaken all taken with manual lenses,
but the 4th in the 1st post which was taken with compact Fuji f31
and the Tyrolean guys with a AF Sigma 17-70

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 4th in the second post is great Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shots, Andreas!

Great ides, mo!

I guess I should try to skim through my pictures...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo said 'only new pictures'...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

OOH sorry, I had overlooked that, as it was not mentioned in Mo's original post
feel free to delete my photos, there are too many too..or should I go ahead and delete?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Orio wrote:

OOH sorry, I had overlooked that, as it was not mentioned in Mo's original post
feel free to delete my photos, there are too many too..or should I go ahead and delete?

For me you can leave them there no problem!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
I can handle rural Alabama ... Shocked Very Happy

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think show only new pictures is wrong idea, any pictures just great in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuuan I would not delete them as they show what I mean...thanks for posting...New would be better only as it would hopefully make you think and get you out with fresh eyes and fresh ideas... Very Happy
Loved yours Orio...how do you make them bigger individually and not as a group?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea ! Very Happy
I enjoyed a lot looking at Orio's market shots and Andreas ones.

Just MF Lenses shots are available ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think yes only because this is a MF lenses forum....but others may think differently?
What lenses do you have? I hate excluding anyone as that is the fun of photography..capturing the image the best you can and with what you have.
What are others opinions on a AF section?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick overview and great idea, the hi shots of the two ppl smoking is a killer ! I'll see what i can manage , here we have plenty of phenomens Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Quote:

I think yes only because this is a MF lenses forum....but others may think differently?
What lenses do you have? I hate excluding anyone as that is the fun of photography..capturing the image the best you can and with what you have.
What are others opinions on a AF section?

I did some shots in south of France but with an AF lens. It was just to know wether I could post some.

But no problem at all with shooting only MF Lenses. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Kuuan I would not delete them as they show what I mean...thanks for posting...New would be better only as it would hopefully make you think and get you out with fresh eyes and fresh ideas... Very Happy
Loved yours Orio...how do you make them bigger individually and not as a group?

There is a link, in bold blue letters, above the image.
I tried to make the image active as a link, but I was not able to make it Sad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy great fruit you have over there! The watermelons looked beautiful.There are a lot of nuns about.