Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chaco at Night -- Samyang 14mm F2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Chaco at Night -- Samyang 14mm F2.8 Reply with quote

I thought I'd look through the countless thousands of RAW files I have and start processing them.

First up is one I shot at Chaco Canyon, New Mexico a couple years ago. It was a nice moonless night and about as dark of skies as you can get in North America.

This is a single image processed in Photoshop and using the Nik Effects software. No color was added to the photo, just tweaking the adjustments to bring out what the RAW file had in it.

Nikon D600
Samyang 14mm F2.8 lens
F/4
25 second exposure
6400 ISO

For some reason, the Flickr photo look much more grainy and not a good representation of how it looks in Photoshop.

Chaco-at-Night-Reprocessed by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOw, amazing shot!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. I've just begun to get into night-sky photography and this is truly inspirational. I look forward to seeing more.

Regarding the Samyang, is this lens identical to the Rokinon 14mm f2.8?
I've heard that both of these lenses are great wide-open (for star-shots) since the CA is so low, but I have also heard that there are are some decentering issues with each. So there's a risk in purchasing, even if the price looks good.
- Do you have any shots made wide-open? How is your lens for CA?
- Have you had any issues with the lens?
- Any problems focussing to infinity?

Great shot, when the weather warms up here a bit, I hope to try doing the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice shot Smile milky way is always inspirational to shot Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
Unbelievable shot for me.
I live in an environment where the nights are never really dark; too much artificial light to see so many stars!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shot.

I bought this lens a few months ago but quickly returned it because the edges were just terrible, you seem to have a better copy. I might try again, see if I get a good copy next time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, amazing contrast between the darkness of the sky and the brightness and colour of the Milky Way. Surprised

l9magen wrote:
Regarding the Samyang, is this lens identical to the Rokinon 14mm f2.8?

Rokinon is a Samyang with the name "Rokinon" painted on it. So yes, the same lens. Samyang is the name of the manufacturer and Rokinon is the brand name they use in some parts of the world. Hope that helps. Smile