Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-xx pics - add yours
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Helios 44-2, just reversing the front element will produce that effect. It's easy to access the glass from the front removing the retaining ring using a spanner. I don't have one, so I used two very small flat-head screwdrivers at the same time to unscrew it.

For other lenses I flipped around both of the front two elements and sometimes swapped positions at the same time depending on how the lens was constructed and how easily and securely it can be put back together.

The camera I shot the video with is a Canon 600D (t3i)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 44m-6

red leaves by abhiraay, on Flickr

Sony NEX3 MC helios 44m-6 58/2 by abhiraay, on Flickr

Firt shot with manual focus vintage lense by abhiraay, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

significantimagery wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Is the lens hand held/supported in front of the camera and not mounted on the body as such?
OH

No it was mounted to the camera as it would be normally.

I also tampered with a Sears 55mm f/1.8 and a Cyclop-1M 85mm f/1.2 (w/Helios 44 rear elements) Wink

I shot some quick video clips with all three lenses today showing what these effects look like in real time.
Arrow Click Here for Wild Glowing Swirly Bokeh Flare Lens Mods

0:01 - 0:48: Cyclop-1M 85mm f/1.2 Night Vision lens with modified elements and Helios 44 rear elements
0:48 - 1:32: Helios 44-2 with modified lens elements
1:32 - 2:05: Sears 55mm f/1.8 with modified lens elements.

Trippy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not posting any shots yet as my first play with a Canon 400D (and on initial tests) found for closeups WO and stopped down...... a 44M was superior to the 44-2...does anyone agree with me. Question

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were shot on a Canon 5D I using a 1958 silver M39 13 aperture blade Helios 44...

f/4

f/2.8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 44M-4 @ f/4 - Nikon 1

Helios 44-2 @ f/2 - Canon EOS-M no pp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

could ye do some of us a favour? We don't all have W I D E S C R E E N . Please resize tae the recommended limits. Losing half the dialogue on a thread which interests me; there are some fine photos here but can only see truncated versions.... thanks. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios MC 44-3

-

-

-

-

-

-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some helios 44-2 (2=m42) pictures on Sony A7. No PP, I'm getting the 44 m39 too, love this lens. Have a damaged 44m-4. Lovely lenses for no money at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some recent pics!
Helios 44-2, f/2-f/4, mostly at f/2.8, though...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44-3 on Panasonic G6
[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused about the oranges. But I want to know more Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my 44M-4 for my GH2 recently, locked the aperture pin and went out to test it at f16, I have to say I love the star diffraction. I really like this glass.

Star diffractions by Tomislav Mavrovic, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really nice Helios pics, folks. I have the 58mm f/2 Helios 44M. Its in M42 mount (aren't the all?). It's a finely made lens, but doesn't get as much attention as either my 50/1.4 Super Tak or my Yashinon-DX 50mm f/1.7 because it is noticeably less sharp than either. It is no mean slouch, however.

Here's a self portrait and a crop of same:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
A few of mine with 44M-4
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lena_i/sets/72157630027748471/

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two copies of this lens, the first being the "probably typical" ebay purchase and the second being an impulse purchase maybe three years ago from a sales listing over at Talk Photography.Co.Uk and which was listed as modified.
I have no doubt there was more to the sales listing but it was an impulse purchase and I've recently taken it off the shelf to have a go at learning it: I definitely need more time.

The standard version and I get along just fine....

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
I have two copies of this lens, the first being the "probably typical" ebay purchase and the second being an impulse purchase maybe three years ago from a sales listing over at Talk Photography.Co.Uk and which was listed as modified.
I have no doubt there was more to the sales listing but it was an impulse purchase and I've recently taken it off the shelf to have a go at learning it: I definitely need more time.

This kind of result is often caused by reversing the front element. Perhaps this is what has occurred to your modified lens.
If you don't like it, you can always return it to normal.
The second lens produces beautiful results
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 44M4
http://forum.mflenses.com/zenit-and-the-art-of-motorsaw-maintenance-t81806.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

44-2

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Hawthorn and Iris Reply with quote

Hi,
It has been quite some time since I last posted here or been active taking photos.
I have recently become a proud grandfather so I need to brush up on my basic skills.
Have enjoyed reading through loads of the threads on this excellent site.

Helios 44-2 on E-520 both wide open.

Barry