Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

spiratone varxtender
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: spiratone varxtender Reply with quote

I just picked up one of these on a whim. I won't get it for a few days. Anybody familiar with it? It seems like an m42 helical but has a teleconverter as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. A 2X TC with two screw on extension tunes marked 2.5X and 3X. I can't remember if I ever tried it. Unsure if extenders go before or after the TC. Redlections look like 4-element, but maybe only 2, they are close together difficult to count. No helical.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well. It was cheap and I can always use the m42 extension tubes. The 2x well....we'll see. Spiratone stuff is a bit of grab back some quite good others....not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first got into photography in the early 1980s, by which time Spiratone ads were the photo equivalent to JC Whitney ads for cars. I spent lots of time scouring the Spiratone listings, but the Varxtender was an accessory that I never paid any attention to. It seems rather clunky in operation, but I imagine it works ok for what it does.

Here's an eBay ad for one:

Click here to see on Ebay

Here's another listing from Google books -- an article from a 1970 edition of Popular Mechanics which mentions the 2x Varxender, and which includes a brief description as to how it works.

https://books.google.com/books?id=bdgDAAAAMBAJ&pg=RA1-PA125&lpg=RA1-PA125&dq=spiratone+varxtender&source=bl&ots=DrmowZWQaf&sig=ACfU3U05-b4S0FQ01cG3nxttHaeushzLAg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwinr9feoODjAhVIKKwKHdVSAO4Q6AEwDXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=spiratone%20varxtender&f=false

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. The popular mechanics link was a trip down memory lane. "Skylab the US first space habitat" !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Popular Mechanics has always been a cool read.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks Michael for the PopMech link! The usage notes. Like stop front lens by 2 for better iq, etc..