Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canonet QL17
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Canonet QL17 Reply with quote

Today I found a very nice looking Canonet G-III QL17 in a shriftstore. They asked € 6.60 for a great camera in a rather worn out case and with a horrible coarse strap.
I tried shutter and aperture - OK. Transport gave me a well known feeling somehow and yes, there even was still a film in it! Battery empty ofcourse.
Home I changed the battery. No succes.
It appeears to be that the contact in the battery compartment for the negative pole, a small metal ball, has been sunken to far away and makes no contact. Anyone had this problem and solved it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a good batt, I'd try shimming it up to the negative contact with
tinfoil to see if your meter works. Just an idea. Have you tried prying the
ball with a pin (carefully)?

I'm making a whole new positive contact out of brass plate for a Chinon
rangefinder since the old one was obliterated by leaving a leaky battery
in the compartment. Received complete refund for this ebay auction, so
worth messing with to see if I can get it to work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bills suggestion is a good one. Be catious if you decide to pry it... Could be brittle metal after 40 years.
The meters in these are good but not great.
I always shoot mine in manual with a handheld meter or sunny16rule.
Modern batteries will not give accurate readings even if the meter was right on the money. Great price for a fantastic shooter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Bills suggestion is a good one. Be catious if you decide to pry it... Could be brittle metal after 40 years.
The meters in these are good but not great.
I always shoot mine in manual with a handheld meter or sunny16rule.
Modern batteries will not give accurate readings even if the meter was right on the money. Great price for a fantastic shooter.

I have the wrong battery in mine and it reads about half a stop under. Fine for modern film.

It is the Giii version though so it may have a better meter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contact is a little ball, coming out (should be) of the plastic holder, in which the battery goes standing like a coin, not laying flat. It is out of reach for tinfoil solutions. So I fear that I have to open the bottom of the camera.

Yes F16, it is a bargain indeed, even when I don't get the meter working. I only have to replace the lightseals, they are nearly dripping out. UV filter is attached for ever I believe, but that is not a big deal, it is quite clean.
I must confess, I didn't need the camera at all (have a perfect one and a QL19), but could't let it there, staring in lonelyness. For so little money.