Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canonet QL17
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Canonet QL17 Reply with quote

Today I found a very nice looking Canonet G-III QL17 in a shriftstore. They asked 6.60 for a great camera in a rather worn out case and with a horrible coarse strap.
I tried shutter and aperture - OK. Transport gave me a well known feeling somehow and yes, there even was still a film in it! Battery empty ofcourse.
Home I changed the battery. No succes.
It appeears to be that the contact in the battery compartment for the negative pole, a small metal ball, has been sunken to far away and makes no contact. Anyone had this problem and solved it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a good batt, I'd try shimming it up to the negative contact with
tinfoil to see if your meter works. Just an idea. Have you tried prying the
ball with a pin (carefully)?

I'm making a whole new positive contact out of brass plate for a Chinon
rangefinder since the old one was obliterated by leaving a leaky battery
in the compartment. Received complete refund for this ebay auction, so
worth messing with to see if I can get it to work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bills suggestion is a good one. Be catious if you decide to pry it... Could be brittle metal after 40 years.
The meters in these are good but not great.
I always shoot mine in manual with a handheld meter or sunny16rule.
Modern batteries will not give accurate readings even if the meter was right on the money. Great price for a fantastic shooter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Bills suggestion is a good one. Be catious if you decide to pry it... Could be brittle metal after 40 years.
The meters in these are good but not great.
I always shoot mine in manual with a handheld meter or sunny16rule.
Modern batteries will not give accurate readings even if the meter was right on the money. Great price for a fantastic shooter.

I have the wrong battery in mine and it reads about half a stop under. Fine for modern film.

It is the Giii version though so it may have a better meter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contact is a little ball, coming out (should be) of the plastic holder, in which the battery goes standing like a coin, not laying flat. It is out of reach for tinfoil solutions. So I fear that I have to open the bottom of the camera.

Yes F16, it is a bargain indeed, even when I don't get the meter working. I only have to replace the lightseals, they are nearly dripping out. UV filter is attached for ever I believe, but that is not a big deal, it is quite clean.
I must confess, I didn't need the camera at all (have a perfect one and a QL19), but could't let it there, staring in lonelyness. For so little money.