Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone opened an OM Macro 50/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Anyone opened an OM Macro 50/2 Reply with quote

I have a dusty one that I have attempted to clean. Managed to unscrew the smaller retaining ring in the front and cleaned the two front elements. But I was wondering if there is a way to take out the whole optical unit (I saw the instruction for 28/2) so I can clean the rear elements as well. Any suggestions/pointers? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you checked http://olympus.dementia.org ? They have the 50/2 Macro diagram freely available for download (check their hardware resource page) ... I cleaned a Zuiko 35/2 with their diagrams ...

Hope this helps

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I did see the diagram and I think I removed the part CE673600 and cleaned the two elements behind it. I think I have some difficulties removing CE673500. I think I will probably need another spanner which is thinner and can assess its notches.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I see what you mean, the Zuiko 35/2 has the whole front group that can be removed from the lens for cleaning (already did it). Nevertheless, looking at the diagrams, i don't think the 50/2 Macro is built the same way (but i may be wrong).

The rear element (LC094300) seems to be kept in place by a retaining ring. Have you checked if it is accessible from the back of the lens (maybe removing the mount) ?

Sorry, but cannot help more, i don't have this lens nor i have serviced one ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but no i haven't tried to remove the mount for fear that I might not be able to put it back together. Saw the demo on 35/2 (or was it 28/2, can't remember) that the whole glass unit can be taken apart, so I was sort of hoping that the 50/2 can be taken apart that way too... so far no luck, the two notches in the front is too deeply recessed between the front rim and the "cone" to be reached by my heavystar spanner... I was thinking of getting another set of "thinner" spanner, but can't seem to find something suitable on the bay..

Thanks for your suggestions and the link though. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the spanner i got from Alex (hk300) ? Since then, he's no longer on the forum, but i think Attila sells the same spanner (i'm sure there are some pictures in some thread), it is the one i currently use for servicing the lenses (including the Zuiko 35/2) ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't seen it. I don't see it for sale on the front page of mflenses either...

Um, wondering maybe i should get the rubber rings tool, stick it to the "cone" and try to open it instead of trying access the hidden notch...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Using the lens ring tool from microtools, I was finally able to unscrew the "cone". The front two elements come off with the cone. And I was also able to take out the middle elements for cleaning using a spanner. Didn't take out the rear elements though as they are not particularly dirty, but the notches can be seen from the front so I guess they are supposed to be taken from the front after the middle elements. Now I am happy as I didn't destroy the lens in the process. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your repair ...

Now, what about posting some sample pics Wink ?