Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1936's collapsible Sonnar 1:2 f=5cm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: 1936's collapsible Sonnar 1:2 f=5cm Reply with quote

This uncoated, collapsible pre-war Sonnar was built in 1936 and it seems to have aged pretty well. Here on M9:

I had to adjust the white and black point to compensate for the lack of contrast of the uncoated lens and for the slight haze in some internal element.
The colour saturation was not altered from the camera setting (which I set to "middle-low", one step less than standard).

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IQ is very high.

I like this lens, very much. It's by far better than a lot of newer 2/50 lenses.

Excelent 3D.

I never should think that the sonnar was so good.

Thanks for sharing. Rino.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happen? Nobody likes the that beauties images?

That great bokeh? the 3D?

Am I so wrong?

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty surprising honestly.
That lens was in kinda tough shape as well if I remeber the one you are using.
I like the lower contrast in these color shots. The colors are definitely the Leica M-Digital version.
I get a lot of the same. Kind of on the cool side or maybe just sort of green to the blues. Could be my monitor but, I think it's the Cyan issue I have seen in my images before as well (M8 not M9 as you have).
Do you have the adapter coded for a 50mm?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the last photo a lot, the lens seems to give very nice results, there seems to be a bit of a glow where the horizon meets the sky but that might just be normal and I've never noticed it before, either way I think the pictures are great Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, yes it's your lens (thanks!) and the condition is good mechanically, but there is some haze on the glasses, and of course the cool tone of the images is due to the sensor picking up all the flare and UV from the uncoated lens.

Rino, I like the lens too, but probably it's different from the things most people is expecting being accustomed to more recent and neater performing SLR lenses.

fatdeeman, you are right, there is a lot of glow in the high contrast edges, due to the interaction of the chromatic aberration with the internal haze and the lens flare, which "spread" the blue of CA around.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Don't you just love the way Sonnar renders?

estudleon wrote:
The IQ is very high.

I like this lens, very much. It's by far better than a lot of newer 2/50 lenses.

Excelent 3D.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 Shocked

such a ghostly effect, spirits in the grass.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
#4 Shocked

such a ghostly effect, spirits in the grass.

I come back to these samples and see a lovely combo for Portrait work. Especially with a long background. This is a lovely uncoated lens.

Funny how we all go for the " perfect " performance on these forums. These show a perfect brush for the pallet.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two portrait/glamour/nude sessions booked in June.
So I will be able to use some M9 and Sonnars also, we'll see what will come out of it Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have two portrait/glamour/nude sessions booked in June.
So I will be able to use some M9 and Sonnars also, we'll see what will come out of it Smile

Yes, please use this uncoated Sonnar for some of your shots! What you have shown here is nothing short of wonderful. It's funny, but I prefer pre-war glass more and more... Did they put more soul in the lenses back then?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting combination!

Can you post a picture to the equipment gallery?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Yes, please use this uncoated Sonnar for some of your shots! What you have shown here is nothing short of wonderful. It's funny, but I prefer pre-war glass more and more... Did they put more soul in the lenses back then?

I certainly believe so. At the time, lens making was totally a craftsmanship. It still is, for most part, in Oberkochen and Wetzlar.
And craftsmen, compared to poor workers in big factories, do certainly put their soul into their creations.
I believe that part of the love of the making passes through on to the object made.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Very interesting combination!
Can you post a picture to the equipment gallery?

I will, I still have to find the time to clean up my studio a bit and make a good photo session of equipment Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they look great - but I'd love to see one without any post processing. I know that really isn't fair to your lens, but it be good to see how much 'improvement' can be had with PP.

I recently found some Agfa CT18 slides taken forty years ago with a Leitz 50mm f2.5 Hektor - after all this time I can't be sure whether the lack of saturation and contrast results from the lens or the slides' fading over time - hence my curiosity.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the IQ of this lens. Bokeh and saturation are very good.

Is it the same one as I said I didn't like just a few days ago?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

I certainly believe so. At the time, lens making was totally a craftsmanship. It still is, for most part, in Oberkochen and Wetzlar.
And craftsmen, compared to poor workers in big factories, do certainly put their soul into their creations.
I believe that part of the love of the making passes through on to the object made.

+1

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
+1

Don't you just love the way Sonnar renders?

estudleon wrote:
The IQ is very high.

Excelent 3D.

Yes, I like them.

Anyways, I found that the ernostar schame in 135 mm lenses, gives a similar IQ than the sonnar.

I wanted to say that the old 1936 sonnar gives a high IQ, more than I should think before see the images.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you show us the lens itself, please ? I love the "haze" on the blue sky BTW !