Manual Focus Lenses Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch|Quick search    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Rss feed   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Telear-N 200mm vs Jupiter 21M...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manual Focus Lenses Forum Index -> Manual Focus Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnBee

Level 1

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Telear-N 200mm vs Jupiter 21M... Reply with quote

FTR. the Telear-N is NOT superior to the Jupiter-21M on both resolution and/or optical performance(edge, CA, PF) and certainly no match(not even close) for the Nikkor 180mm *ED 2.8!
I'm writing this in response to a number of posts that have been made here where the Telear-N is being regarded as a "sleeper lens" and comparable to the Nikkor 180. And since I own all of these lenses, I decided to run some tests.

Needless to say I didn't have to go far to confirm the results. In order of performance:

1. Nikkor 180mm f/2.8
2. Jupiter-21M f/4.0
3. TELEAR-N f/3.5
4. Pentax-M 200mm f/4.0
Attila

Level 4

Expire: 2016-11-18

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all above lens basically I agree, except Telear not close to Nikon ED difference is not too much in my opinion.

35mm: Konica A4, Konica IIIA, Konica FC-1
MF: Konica Pearl I,II,III 6x4,5 Konica Semi Pearl
Film: Foma,Kodak, Fuji DIY development C41, FOMA LQR
Scan: Epson V500, scanassist (http://www.scanassist.org)
Shutter tester: LCD tester from member vfmoto
Digital: Panasonic G1, Sony Nex-3, Samsung NX100
Lenses: Konica Hexanons,Carl Zeiss,Carl Zeiss Jena,Meyer-Optik,Minolta MD,Yashica ML,Nikon,Olympus OM
DIY E-6,C41 and B&W
JohnBee

Level 1

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had all above lens basically I agree, except Telear not close to Nikon ED difference is not too much in my opinion.

I found the TELEAR to have very good resolution in fact... however, it seems that the coatings are less effective than the Jup and Nikkor, which I think play's a big part in the outcome(cast, highlight sensitivity, OOF misregistration, CA).

Having said that... I was not able to find any resolution differences between the TELEAR-N and Jupiter-21M under controlled conditions. Though the TELEAR seems to suffer from more complications than the Jupiter-21M under real world conditions, the Jupiter comes out ahead more times than none(see; OOF CA).

The Nikkor on the other hand leaves the Jupiter and TELEAR as far as flaring CA, PF goes... which all work to push final IQ to the top of the list. Though interestingly enough, at/or around f/8, both the Jup and Nikkor are so close in performance that they can only be separated by pixel peeping. But what really pushes the Nikkor to the top is in with it's superior bokeh rendering. Which handles OOF color registration like a champ!

Here are a few snaps taken with the TELEAR-N and a 1.7x TC(340mm):

NB. You can see the effects of CA removal along the birds back. Unfortunately... CA was so prominent in that scene, that it was impossible to fix without leaving a mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manual Focus Lenses Forum Index -> Manual Focus Lenses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: