Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My old Nikkor lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: My old Nikkor lenses Reply with quote

Hi to everybody,
right now I'm shooting with a Canon 7D and some EOS lenses, but a friend of mine gave me a couple of old nikkor lenses that belonged to his father.
The lenses are
Nikkor Ai-s 105 f2
Nikkor Ai-s 35 f2

What's the quality of these lenses? Is it worth the price of buying an adaptor EOS/Nikkor to use them?

Is it a sacrilege to mount a nikkor lens on a Canon body? Smile

Last edited by poetofprague on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 105 AI s should be either f1.8 or f2.5, if it is a f2.0 it should be an AF 105 D DC (with defocus control...very expensive)
your lenses are absolutely worth to buy an adaptor. 105 is one of the best in its class, i think the 35´s reputation is influenced by f 2.0 35 AF, which often is reported to have oily blades, but this is not the case for the manual lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

der einrahmer wrote:
the 105 AI s should be either f1.8 or f2.5, if it is a f2.0 it should be an AF 105 D DC (with defocus control...very expensive)
your lenses are absolutely worth to buy an adaptor. 105 is one of the best in its class, i think the 35´s reputation is influenced by f 2.0 35 AF, which often is reported to have oily blades, but this is not the case for the manual lens.

Sorry, the 105 its an AI-S 2.5..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two very well regarded lenses you've been given - 100% get the adapter(s) for them and enjoy using them on the 7D.

Oh, welcome aboard too - the madness starts here Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you don't like them, you can always give them to me as we seem to live in the same city. Smile

Welcome and enjoy two very nice lenses!

ps - se vuoi un adattatore senza conferma di messa a fuoco in prestito fammi un fischio che dovrei averne due

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
And if you don't like them, you can always give them to me as we seem to live in the same city. Smile

Welcome and enjoy two very nice lenses!

ps - se vuoi un adattatore senza conferma di messa a fuoco in prestito fammi un fischio che dovrei averne due

Ops! I just ordered one with AF confirm.. I paid for it 40 euro..
But they told me that without AF confirm it's really hard with a 105mm...
Scusa se scrivo in inglese ma magari gli altri non capiscono

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have only used an "old" Nikkor-O 35/2, and i decided not to sell it Wink (i'm actually waiting for a Nikon to EOS adapter Very Happy ) ...

Quote:
Is it a sacrilege to mount a nikkor lens on a Canon body?

To end with a Cankor setup Wink ? Well, when i look at the results i have got from some Nikkors on my Pentax K10D, i would say that you can take the risk Very Happy ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="poetofprague"]
ludoo wrote:
Ops! I just ordered one with AF confirm.. I paid for it 40 euro..
But they told me that without AF confirm it's really hard with a 105mm...

AF confirm is a good choice if you don't have a focusing screen for manual focusing. I think you'll have a nice surprise when the adapter arrives and you'll be able to test those lenses!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:

AF confirm is a good choice if you don't have a focusing screen for manual focusing. I think you'll have a nice surprise when the adapter arrives and you'll be able to test those lenses!

Canon 7D has the live view screen, but I don't like to shoot this way. I didnt understand very well how this Af confirm works, I hopr they're not too complicated.. I tried these lenses on the old Nikon FM camera and it seemed quite easy to focus, is it really so different on a modern camera?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poetofprague wrote:
Canon 7D has the live view screen, but I don't like to shoot this way. I didnt understand very well how this Af confirm works, I hopr they're not too complicated.. I tried these lenses on the old Nikon FM camera and it seemed quite easy to focus, is it really so different on a modern camera?

The adapters are easy to use, they just have a chip on them that allows the camera to use metering and AF confirm.

As for focusing screens, modern ones are optimized for brightness, not manual focusing. They are mostly useless below f 3.5 or 2.8.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poetofprague wrote:

Sorry, the 105 its an AI-S 2.5..

oowh the 105/2.5 ais has it's own legend. try googling

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and they are both terrific lenses. You will be very glad indeed to have bought the adapter (and don't worry about the focus chip, it will actually help).

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the adapter, I took some pics just to try it.. God, it's difficult to focus manually... The only problem is that I don't have idea how to take the lens away from the adapter.. Can anyone help me?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My olk Nikkor lenses Reply with quote

Certainly worth buying the adapter, the 105/2.5 Ai-S lens is of quality enough to deliver pro quality on the most demanding and large DSLR sensors. Your 35/2 Ai-S is also a great lens, perhaps not as legendary as the 105/2.5 but nevertheless good for demanding work as long as you don't use it wide open.

poetofprague wrote:
Is it a sacrilege to mount a nikkor lens on a Canon body? Smile

No. Strange question btw, since I thought this forum consisted of lots of Canon/Nikon/Pentax etc. shooters who mount or adapt 3rd party lenses to their DSLRs. Excellent lenses will outlive the body they're attached to - just think of how many SLR/DSLRs have gone by since those two were introduced...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...as I experienced that 7D have such nice big and bright viewfinder that I haven't any problem with manual glass even though didn't testes such fast glasses like you have. Enjoy those Nikkors. I am sure that you won't be dissapointed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poetofprague wrote:
The only problem is that I don't have idea how to take the lens away from the adapter.. Can anyone help me?

Everything Nikkor spins opposite, the focus ring and the adapter. Try that? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
poetofprague wrote:
The only problem is that I don't have idea how to take the lens away from the adapter.. Can anyone help me?

Everything Nikkor spins opposite, the focus ring and the adapter. Try that? Very Happy

Yes I made it.. Last night I tried them, but the light wasn't good enough, so I will test them tomorrow..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. If you're only going to have one Nikon lens, the 105/2.5 is a great one. The 35/2 is very good, too, and I've gotten some excellent images with mine. But there's a caveat--watch lighting conditions because it can flare and ghost. Actually, mine is an Ai, and yours is newer. Maybe they changed the optical formula/lens coating. Still, if the 35/2 has weakness, that's it.

I wish I could use Canon lenses on my Nikon, but they won't focus to infinity without an optical correction adapter, which screws up the image. So, what would be the point?

Let us know how it goes, and, more importantly, have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my garden there aren't many flowers, sorry that's all I had to show.
Nikon Ai-s 105

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor Ai-s 105

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt seem very sharp or it's my impression??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, results don't look sharp from a lens that should deliver much better. Exposure data, EXIF? It doesn't at all look like what I'm used to from the 105/2.5, and I have access to three copies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I agree, results don't look sharp from a lens that should deliver much better. Exposure data, EXIF? It doesn't at all look like what I'm used to from the 105/2.5, and I have access to three copies.

These have been all taken at F2.5..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shutter speed is my main interest. You're on a 1.6x crop sensor and though lens is small it's safe to assume 1/160s or 1/200 doesn't guarantee camera shake is not involved.

Flowers can move from wind, the bicycle and pint not likely Laughing I would give it some tripod use and rule out any camera shake to be sure, though it is always possible your lens needs service. Dirt/haze inside, fungus, scratches, camera shake, moving subjects, wind, hand-held ie movement from focus to exposure moment, too small depth of field, mirror slap, too slow shutter...

So many things that can go wrong with close-ups, impossible to tell what is the factor diminishing detail here when circumstances, shooting technique used and exposure is unknown.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Shutter speed is my main interest. You're on a 1.6x crop sensor and though lens is small it's safe to assume 1/160s or 1/200 doesn't guarantee camera shake is not involved.

Flowers can move from wind, the bicycle and pint not likely Laughing I would give it some tripod use and rule out any camera shake to be sure, though it is always possible your lens needs service. Dirt/haze inside, fungus, scratches, camera shake, moving subjects, wind, hand-held ie movement from focus to exposure moment, too small depth of field, mirror slap, too slow shutter...

So many things that can go wrong with close-ups, impossible to tell what is the factor diminishing detail here when circumstances, shooting technique used and exposure is unknown.

Pic 1 1/500
pic 2 1/200
pic3 1/100