Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Video: Jupiter-9/Mir24 test clip
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Video: Jupiter-9/Mir24 test clip Reply with quote

Just did a test video and some side by side shots of my two new Russian lenses, the Mir 24 and Jupiter-9. Unfortunately Vimeo does something with the file that washes it out so seeing just how much contrast that Mir 24 has and the way it captures colors gets lost in translation. What you can see clearly is how sharp it is though. It might even be sharper than the sensor. The 720P file is there for download if you want to see something a little closer to what was captured in camera.

http://vimeo.com/11640891

The J-9 I'm starting to like the more I work with it. I wasn't crazy about it at first because of how it is outside wide open but stopped down to 2.8, it's starting to grow on me. Also, the bokeh is very, very nice. Another point in its favor is that it doesn't do that glowing effect indoors wide open so I'm really curious what kind of performance it will give me at a dark reception.

So to sum up: get the Mir 24 if you see it for sale. You want this lens. The J-9 on the other hand is one that might take a day to really appreciate what it has to offer. If you don't like it at first, just work with it some. It'll show it's true quality soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice reviews, I like the side by side part
I moved the post to 'DSLR Movies' section

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I didn't know which section to put it in as it's a lens test. Thanks for putting it in the right section. The side by side blew me away as well. All the settings were the same exposure-wise. I didn't expect quite the difference in rendering that I got.

The Mir was easy to like right out of the box but I think the J-9 is going up the charts quickly. It has a certain mojo to it that's hard to put a finger on. I can see why it has so many fans.

Chris W

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice test.
Thanks for sharing. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a Mir-24. Now.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CameraRick wrote:
I want a Mir-24. Now.

I just posted my results with the Mir 24 here if you want to see:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1033062.html#1033062

Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CameraRick wrote:
I want a Mir-24. Now.

You won't regret getting one and they're going for pretty decent prices these days.

This wasn't a really fair comparison with the Jupiter-9 as the J-9's strength isn't still life but live subjects. At last Saturday's wedding, I constantly reached for the J-9 during bridal prep because people look so good shot with this lens. I'll be sure to post a clip from the wedding in a few weeks when things get a little less hectic around here and I can catch up on edits some so you can see for yourself.

Chris W

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look for it by now... seems to be a really nice lens. I hope when I find one, I can adapt it on my EOS ... Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CameraRick wrote:
I'll look for it by now... seems to be a really nice lens. I hope when I find one, I can adapt it on my EOS ... Embarassed

I use it on my Canon camera with no problem so I don't foresee any problems adapting it to your camera whether the lens is M42 or Nikon fit. I think you'll love the lens.

Chris W

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a shot for a musicvideo yesterday (I was second unit, first unit was an EX3 - the guy wanted to get sure he has at least anything on set what he knows Smile). I filmed mostly with a Yashinon 35mm, my Helios 44-2 (love it!) and a Pentacon 135mm - I hope there was something usable on my camera (I don't have the footage here).

The sister from the singer was on set too, and I showed her some footage I recorded. She said "but it isn't sharp, at least at his hands!". I laughed Smile

Regards,
Lucas