Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian Zoom lens OB-533 for M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Russian Zoom lens OB-533 for M42 Reply with quote

Few days ago, I received this lens, I never saw before.

Hopefully anyone in this forum can tell me a bit about it.
It came in a wooden box with paperwork, a M42 mount with tripod mount, that can be swapped for the M42 mount installed.
It looks nearly like new. Indeed, it has slept for decades in an archive.
Was thinking about trying it, but the handling, specially the zoom ring, is absolutly awkward.
Surely built like a tank (and it is nearly as heavy as a tank), but not nearly as comfortable as a russian tank....

Couldn't trace it on the net, so it might be a rare beast.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian Zoom lens OB-533 for M42 Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
Surely built like a tank (and it is nearly as heavy as a tank), but not nearly as comfortable as a russian tank....

my uneducate guess it is built for a tank ..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting looking monster. Long zooms from that era tend to be large and heavy. I've a Konica AR 80-200 that is just a beast. I would be quite curious to see what kind of images it produces. Though being from 1974 I wouldn't have great hope for stellar sharpness.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting piece indeeed! I'm sure our french member and russian lens collector Pierre will chime in soon... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OB xxx is codename for every Lens before the production. So I believe it's prototype. I never heard about it before.
I'm not at home right now, but I'll take a look later on some things, trying to find some infos.

You scanned the last document or found it on the Internet?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely looks like a prototype made by GOI, they used similar marking with "..." and similar type of body (paint, lot of distance mark on the nose..).

Why paper is in German, maybe a partnership with German maker?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments and additional information.
Interesting info about that OB... naming. Makes sens, as this lenses are built so uncomfortable, that they should be still prototypes.
I have two of this lenses and one came with german and cyrillic, the other one with only cyrillic paperwork. All are original type-writer-typed sheets and the measured results from both lenses are different!
Numbers are close with 73338 and 73340 (seems, I've missed the one between, to fill the gap)

"Why paper is in German, maybe a partnership with German maker?"

Indeed! Pierre, you've nailed it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype? With that serial number and German certificate? Dont think so.

I think they simply sold a zoom to German victims, the question being whether East or West.

KN-1 seems not to provide hint, since it seems to be a russian industrial film.

The tube and 85-210 looks a bit like cheap 85-210 zoom but of course the package is metal.

It is 1974 and the lousy zooms are back (63 lpmm max isnt that nice and uh the transmission 75%?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:

I think they simply sold a zoom to German victims, the question being whether East or West.

The tube and 85-210 looks a bit like cheap 85-210 zoom but of course the package is metal.

It is 1974 and the lousy zooms are back (63 lpmm max isnt that nice and uh the transmission 75%?)

Maybe, maybe not....
Zeiss Jena had special number blocks reserved for prototypes, too, although they regulary used a V-number earlier. Meyer frequently, too. so why not other factories, too?
Optical quality may be lousy by today's standards, but who cares? (btw. mechanically it is lousy, too!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
Thank you all for your comments and additional information.
Interesting info about that OB... naming. Makes sens, as this lenses are built so uncomfortable, that they should be still prototypes.
I have two of this lenses and one came with german and cyrillic, the other one with only cyrillic paperwork. All are original type-writer-typed sheets and the measured results from both lenses are different!
Numbers are close with 73338 and 73340 (seems, I've missed the one between, to fill the gap)

"Why paper is in German, maybe a partnership with German maker?"

Indeed! Pierre, you've nailed it

So Klaus, you know something seemingly about a partnership, why
not share your wisdom with us, as we share freely ours ... to enhance
your coming ebay sale? Wink Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, when checking my auctions, it is not really a guess to see, which lens factory had this lens in their archives....
Meyer Optik! And that resulted in a zoom easier to handle and more compact.
Guess there are others here who sport their items here for increasing Ebay sales.
My intention is to show what might be interesting.
And of course I do not keep everything that flows through my fingers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for showing us this very interesting lens and don't let Klaus' bitchy comment put you off doing so in future, whether it is a lens you end up selling or keeping, we appreciate seeing these rarities.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:

Yes, prototyp. We are talking here about GOI prototyp. They always have such serial number. For exemple you can check http://www.photohistory.ru/index.php?pid=1265699541589327 or any prototyp from GOI, they have such hard-to-understand number.
You might find similarities with that lens : http://www.photohistory.ru/1263467405373563.html

KN-1 film may sound like 35mm cine film (KN-xx are cine film 35mm by Svema). But this lens does not look like a lens for cine camera at all.

What do you mean by "I think they simply sold a zoom to German victims"?

About what said Klaus (kds), I agree that , at least, you could have said before that it comes from Meyer optik archives, to help everyone as we try to help you identify this lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:

Yes, prototyp. We are talking here about GOI prototyp. They always have such serial number. For exemple you can check http://www.photohistory.ru/index.php?pid=1265699541589327 or any prototyp from GOI, they have such hard-to-understand number.
You might find similarities with that lens : http://www.photohistory.ru/1263467405373563.html

KN-1 film may sound like 35mm cine film (KN-xx are cine film 35mm by Svema). But this lens does not look like a lens for cine camera at all.

What do you mean by "I think they simply sold a zoom to German victims"?

About what said Klaus (kds), I agree that , at least, you could have said before that it comes from Meyer optik archives, to help everyone as we try to help you identify this lens.

Pierre, thank you for your additional information.
OK, did not know it is mandatory to publish the sources, I get lenses from......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not mandatory and it's not Klaus's forum, it's Attila's, so Attila sets the rules, not Klaus, so carry on, all is good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not mendatory, but it could have helped us to understand why sheet was in german, for exemple Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens designed and made by GOI (Leningrad).
It belongs to the "Yantar" family.
The receiver of the lens was VEB Pentacon.
It was a collaboration in the field of photographic equipment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KN-1 was the standard photographic film for measuring lenses photographic resolution.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarification, zoom! Friends

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected.
Nothing came out of that collaboration proposal?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
I stand corrected.

A russian source mentioned that "the russians would have to do all the work and Pentacon just a little"
so the russians gave up on this...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:

Results has been, but, from what can be bought in the store, nothing came out.