Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First Roll Through an Old Russian
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: First Roll Through an Old Russian Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1956 Kiev II rangefinder. These are the Soviet version of the Contax cameras. After WWII, the USSR took over many German factories, one of them being the Zeiss factory that made the Contax cameras.

Anyway, I just scanned in my first roll shot through this camera. Shot on Foma 100 b&w film and developed on Pyrocat MC for 9 minutes. I don't know if it's the film or the camera, but these turned out a little soft compared to what I am used to for 35mm, though I've never shot Foma 100 in 35mm before so it just might be the film.

1956 Kiev II by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Kiev II First Roll 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Kiev II First Roll 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Kiev II First Roll 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Kiev II First Roll 4 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Kiev II First Roll 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice looking camera and lens.
Foma 100 is a good film and I have had excellent results from 120 size developed in R09.
I have not used Fomapan in 35mm.
Interestingly, I have just shot some HP5+ on a Zorki 4 - also with a Jupiter 8 lens - and the negatives are drying in my bathroom as I write.
When they are done, I'll scan some and add them for comparison.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots with Zorki 4 and Jupiter 8 for comparison.
Film is HP5+

Oops- can't load images - problem with upload from forum end I think
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your purchase!
I have the same camera. Here are some photos with Fomapan 100 film.

There seems to be a problem with uploading photos now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to post them when you can guys. I'm interested in how the j8 looks.

I shot another roll using a Helios 103 and it turned out much better. Everything was in focus anyway! I think my j8 lens must have been taken apart sometime and whover put it back together left out some shims or something.

I'll post cup a few images using the helios 103. They were shot on tri-x rated at 3600 iso though, so they are somewhat grainy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you got good results using the Helios 103. I recently bought that lens, but haven't used it yet.
I enjoy using the Kiev with its bright viewfinder and different method of focusing. I only wish it had diopter
adjustment like my Zorki 6.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Some shots with Zorki 4 and Jupiter 8 for comparison.
Film is HP5+

Oops- can't load images - problem with upload from forum end I think
OH

I am still having problems uploading images, but my film has come up reasonably well.
I have used my Jupiter 8 (M39) on digital and was not impressed by it and thought that it would do better on film - I am not sure that it did.
The other Jupiter 8 that I have is in the alternate mount like yours and it has been modified to fit on digital only - It is a much better lens in my opinion.
I will post some pictures when the image upload problem is resolved
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Attila has fixed the images so here we go.
Thank you Attila Like 1 small
Jupiter 8 on Zorki 4 HP5+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few shots from mine, but I have the Jupiter 8M. I think they are the same lens though.
I will be happy to see your results with the Helios 103.
Thanks for fixing the photo uploading, Attila.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are quite good uddhava.
I have to agree that also in my case the Jupiter 8M seems to be the better lens of the two.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: First Roll Through an Old Russian Reply with quote

Colorado CJ wrote:
I recently bought a 1956 Kiev II rangefinder. These are the Soviet version of the Contax cameras. After WWII, the USSR took over many German factories, one of them being the Zeiss factory that made the Contax cameras.

Anyway, I just scanned in my first roll shot through this camera. Shot on Foma 100 b&w film and developed on Pyrocat MC for 9 minutes. I don't know if it's the film or the camera, but these turned out a little soft compared to what I am used to for 35mm, though I've never shot Foma 100 in 35mm before so it just might be the film.

Kiev II First Roll 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Looking at the first image of your first roll, I saw that the focus seems to be at the very right bottom part of the shot.
I guess that was not where you wanted to focus, meaning serious front-focus offset of your Jupiter-8 lens.

The images from your next roll look nice indeed.
Although, quite some grain and high contrast, perhaps more than what I would express from the Fomapan 100 film.
Or is that the combination with developer?