Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Zeiss: Germany or Japan ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Contax Zeiss: Germany or Japan ? Reply with quote

While searching eBay for lenses of the Contax system,
I have seen copies of the same lens (e.g. 1,4/85 Planar)
made in either (west) Germany or Japan.

Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to check the aperture numbers.
If the last number (f 11) is in white colour, the lens is of AE type which means that on a contax body can be used only in automatic exposure or manual modes.
If the last number is in green colour, it means the lens is of MM type which means that all automations of Contax bodies are supported.
The difference between German made and Japan made are, in my opinion, meaningful only for the collectioners. For the real use, the two appear identical to my eye.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Orio!

Does this mean that for use on a modern DSLR, it makes no difference which type one has?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Thank you Orio!

Does this mean that for use on a modern DSLR, it makes no difference which type one has?

Yes, no difference on a DSLR

There are however some lens models which were improved in the passage from AE to MM:

Distagon 2.8/25
Distagon 2.8/28
Sonnar 2.8/135

The above have been confirmed by Zeiss to have been optically redesigned for better performance for the switch to MM.

There are rumours about other models too but no confirmation from Zeiss, only people's talk.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally German lens price is a bit higher .

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Generally German lens price is a bit higher .

I find that generally the prices for MM versions are higher than those of AE glass, regardless of place of manufacture. If there are two MM lenses offered in the same condition, the German-made one will usually fetch higher price.