Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Teleconverter - any good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: M42 Teleconverter - any good? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm searching for some good Tele (light tele, 70-100, something like that) Primes. But, they're pretty expensive - so I thought of buying a 2x Teleconverter for my M42 lenses; so I get 56, 70, 100 and 116 (my Helios 44-2 will come in just a few days Smile ) in one shot.

So, are they any good? Do I have some problems like CA, or do I loose some stops?
I couldn't find anything with the search Sad

Regards,
Lucas

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 Teleconverter - any good? Reply with quote

CameraRick wrote:

Hi Lucas, that's strange, we had a long discussion about this only 2 months ago:
http://forum.mflenses.com/tele-converters-t26095.html

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a M42 HOYA 2x and an OM AICO 2x.

None of which gave me good results.

Nice to play with and brag about the effective focal lenghts of your tele-lenses but nothing special really.

The impact on resolution and the 2 full stops you lose made me to stop using them.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just to stupid yet to search the right way Embarassed

Thanks folks, I think then I'll spend some time in searching. For filming, I like to have the classic Prime-series (28, 35, 50, 85), even though I have an APS-C camera. High-tele isn't that interresting, you already have a high DoF. When the 135mm Pentacon is as nice as I hope (cheap thing on ebay he found in his basement (labeled it as "pentagon", I hope it has no fungus and stuff), I have something for high-tele, but not between 58 and 135 Sad Zooms aren't that interesting, and 85mm are pretty expensive... I'll go on a flea market by tomorrow, wish me luck Smile

Regards,
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 Teleconverter - any good? Reply with quote

CameraRick wrote:
Hi there,

I'm searching for some good Tele (light tele, 70-100, something like that) Primes. But, they're pretty expensive - so I thought of buying a 2x Teleconverter for my M42 lenses; so I get 56, 70, 100 and 116 (my Helios 44-2 will come in just a few days Smile ) in one shot.

So, are they any good? Do I have some problems like CA, or do I loose some stops?

Regards,
Lucas

Since you're using a crop camera, I recommend Soviet made KOHBEPTEK 2x converter K-1. Also the east german converters can be good. Both these can be good without having to stop down.

The thing to remember is that if you put a TC into a crappy or average lens, you won't get good results - effectively a TC is only a magnifier which crops part of the image away and magifies the center to fill the frame. This means that you need to have a rock solid lens with which to use the TC.

Regarding losing stops: as you increase the focal length while the entrance pupil remains the same, you will lose stops. One stop for 1.4x TC, two stops for a 2x TC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar 3x converter which I would recommend everyone should..........avoid!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: M42 Teleconverter - any good? Reply with quote

CameraRick wrote:
I thought of buying a 2x Teleconverter for my M42 lenses; so I get 56, 70, 100 and 116 (my Helios 44-2 will come in just a few days Smile ) in one shot.

All 1985/1990 7x elements converters (Tokina, Soligor, Foca, Kiron, Komura...) were good/very good
In fact, the quality is very close from the last generation converters

the only better converters are the last generations from prime manufacturers (canon, nikon, olympus...)