Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to know a lens is gray market or not?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: How to know a lens is gray market or not? Reply with quote

I had bad experience about gray item earlier: guarantee is not world wide, but by the seller/store only.
DOA, and shipping cost on me, store wont ship to certain countries, etc.

But is there a real concern regarding quality?
How can i see it is a gray item?
Example, nikkor 85/1.4 AF D?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the term gray market as meaning an item of suspect origin. Is that what you mean in this context?

If the items comes with a guarantee, I'd be curious how it would be a gray market item. Perhaps my concept of the gray market is incorrect, but I think of it being used resellers without shops or a business infrastructure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google for feedback of your shop
I have good experience with most sellers wich don't offer warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray market down here, usually means it's the same Brand item only cheaper...but with no real warranty or guarantee given. I bought a Pentax battery grip for at least $20-$30 cheaper than if I had bought it from a Pentax seller/store.

I guess it depends on how much money you pay for the particular item as to whether you take the NO warranty risk. This battery grip was bought in Australia from an Australian seller.Where other Gray market items would be if I bought them from Hong Kong etc....and had them posted to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray market as I understand means no warranty/ guarantee in the country you are in. For example, a US original set means it carries warranty in US. But if it goes out to US, this means it is a gray set. One will not be able to claim warranty out of US. The way a gray set claims warranty (if any) is to send back to the original country. This is why the store or shop charges the postage. Then again, a lot of shops will tell you there is no warranty out front for gray set.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input.

As I understand, for the items selling from USA, there are 3 categories:
- store guarantee only, which also mean grey items
- US guarantee, which can be white items but limited sale/price in one region, and
- International guarantee.

Also buyer can purchase extra 'guarantee/insurance' for additional/extended time.
From big stores locally, I had been told that gray items can be
- white items that the store bought in from a brand/maker with discount priced, large quantity, or
- less qualified items during QA control and therefore sold as-is to whoever can provide a fair guarantee.

In used market, it might be important to find out about the quality of grey items.

Nikon, Sigma has grey items for sale. Perhaps other brand as well.