Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

can't put Helios 44M-4 back together
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: can't put Helios 44M-4 back together Reply with quote

Hello everybody...

Spent 3 (!!) nights dis- and re-assembling this damn thing. There and back again. And I simply CAN'T figure the right allignment of the internal helicoids. I managed to put it together a few times, but the scales were totally off and the stop "screw" didn't do its job, obviously...

I had to disassemble it because of oil on the apperture blades.

I can't find any guide for this version anywhere and the situation is becoming more and more depressing, since I DON'T want to give up Very Happy

Help? Pretty please? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, figured the helicoids. It all seems to work now.

The only problem that stays is with the apperture control mechanism.

The blades close "too fast" (fully stopped down at f8 already)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put the pin in the aperture to the inside of the fork? If it is on the other edge, then it could stop too quickly?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. The mechanism must have been messed with before - the problem with apperture control probably wasn't because of oil in the first place... a few moments ago I took the mechanism apart and used a hammer (what a tool for lens repair Laughing ) to straighten the strangely bent circle... and now it doesn't even fit in..

Does anyone know if 44-2 version has the same apperture control mechanism? I could get a cheap 44-2 and use it for parts here...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

44-2 is preset and totally different.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lensless wrote:
I took the mechanism apart and used a hammer (what a tool for lens repair Laughing )

I think we've all been there, I sure have Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is possible to use 44M without the auto-mechanism. Just remove auto-parts and use some thick glue or other substance to stick the auto-mechanism - aperture pin in 'closed' position. (the one that sticks right out of the aperture mechanism, not the one on the mount - that you probably just destroyed Smile ). Then the aperture ring just opens and closes the blades without the auto-mechanism.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this will take hours... Sad

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://psychoticstudios.net/blog/archives/140

http://psychoticstudios.net/blog/archives/118

I found a wonderful detailed description, in French but the pictures were first class, of a 44M stripdown a while back and bookmarked it, but now it won't open.
Here's the URL, maybe it will work ?

http://izondil.free.fr/tuto%20h%A9lios.pps

I have it saved as a page somewhere as well, I'll try to find it and maybe post it here.

Any help ?