Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Auto S3 38mm f1.8 RF - Sensia 100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Konica Auto S3 38mm f1.8 RF - Sensia 100 Reply with quote

Hi-res images are here

This camera was long time ago on my wish list, finally I could get one from Carsten on very friendly price. Many thanks again!

It works fine even with slide, but need to use in this case hearing aid battery. Alkaline battery+ ISO shift works with print film only fine.

Last edited by Attila on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE THEM!

I am sorry but EVERY time I see film used, albeit with the 'degradation' of scanning to digital, everything seems so sharp, so fresh, and well delineated, a series of qualities quite lacking in Digital with its 'plastic' smoothed look. How can any medium that sticks a filter in front of its 'film' ever achieve the translucency of real film, where it is light / lens / emulsion?

I am seriously thinking of using film exclusively as I find I 'chimp' so much when using a digital SLR that I miss the next great shot as I walk past, only to collide with some street furniture!

Great work Obi Wan

PS let me hijack the thread and ask

HAS ANYONE used the ML 1.4 50mm Yashica lens, what are their thoughts and as there are very small signs of fungus, has anyone taken one apart AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER? lol

Well no-one seems to answer my pleas for help posted under my ID so I am sure my leader won't mind me borrowing his? Smile Smile

My original thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/yashica-ml-50mm-f1-4-t31154.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, these are excellent and exciting results! That is one excellent lens, plus the metering looks spot on.

Now, why do you say " Alkaline battery+ ISO shift works with print film only fine."? Is it because alkaline voltage slopes down as you use it? I'm curious as I have a S2 on the way, and was planning to see if one of my silver oxide batteries (maybe a SR44?) will fit, and then adjust ISO to compensate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Attila, these are excellent and exciting results! That is one excellent lens, plus the metering looks spot on.

Now, why do you say " Alkaline battery+ ISO shift works with print film only fine."? Is it because alkaline voltage slopes down as you use it? I'm curious as I have a S2 on the way, and was planning to see if one of my silver oxide batteries (maybe a SR44?) will fit, and then adjust ISO to compensate.

I did try ISO shift with alkaline battery, all frame was over exposed a bit,
this means not for slides, but okay for print films.
Hearing aid battery was perfect as you seen on this photos. Hearing aid battery is cheap and available, only short life time is a negative, but due battery is cheap no problem to put fresh one for each rolls.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
LOVE THEM!

I am sorry but EVERY time I see film used, albeit with the 'degradation' of scanning to digital, everything seems so sharp, so fresh, and well delineated, a series of qualities quite lacking in Digital with its 'plastic' smoothed look. How can any medium that sticks a filter in front of its 'film' ever achieve the translucency of real film, where it is light / lens / emulsion?

I am seriously thinking of using film exclusively as I find I 'chimp' so much when using a digital SLR that I miss the next great shot as I walk past, only to collide with some street furniture!

Great work Obi Wan

Very Happy Thank you! I have same opinion about city and landscape shoots I prefer over slides any digital even the top one like full frame digital cameras.

Portrait, macro, etc is works on digital to me so I follow this selections.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my, great photos!
it really is time I finished the film inside mine

Nesster wrote:

Jussi I suppose the Auto S2 also needs 1.35V, just like the Auto S3?

there are adapters available to drop the voltage of LR44 1.5V batteries to the 1.35, respectfully one can simply solder a socalled 'BAT 41' Schottky Diode costing about 50 Cents between the + of the battery compartment and the wire leading from there into the caemra to make it 1.35V, see: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/batt_adapt_us.pdf

I did this to my Auto S3 ( well, C35 FD, the japanese name for the same camera ), it is very easy to do, there is enough space for the diode, and the voltage metered now exactly is 1.35 Volt!

( If I remember correctly with 1.5V it is supposed to underexpose by 2 or 3 stops, but mine did by 5 stops, so I am not sure if my camera now does expose correctly, I have not verified, not yet finished shooting a film Embarassed )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Kuuan - yep, my longer term plan will be to do the diode, but first things first: I'm waiting for the package to arrive, and then I'll test the meter vs. others with a silver oxide battery. See what happens. Maybe the meter doesn't work at all, which is a risk I am happy to take for $5 Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I should have known that you knew Wink

that's just the same mine had cost me, 500 Yen or 5 uds then. Had fished it out from a junk basket in a store, junk because it's light-meter did not work, thrown together with mostly Telezoom Tamrons, some Nikkors ( oh my...if I had not overweight luggage all the time..) but this little camera I just could not leave there getting rummaged

Sure there must have been a leaking battery inside, on opening I saw that both cables were disconnected from the battery compartment. now it seems to be alright!

the camera is right next to me on my table. counter at 16. must go out and finally shoot a film for gods..oh well, this marvelous camera's sake! Laughing