Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon FM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Pentacon FM Reply with quote

Acquired this beauty the other day. Very Happy

Body works but really needs new shutter curtains and the lens could do with an internal clean.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks beautiful! Congrats for your purchase! What is this camera value, I saw one in local shop?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A true beauty! I want one!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila and Orio - I got the body and lens for 60 GBP but I don't know what the Contax/Pentacon line are really worth. According to Rick Oleson, they all generally need new shutter curtains by now and this one was no exception as although one curtain has only two pinholes and could probably be rescued by sealing them, the rubber on the other one has started to crack at one side.

I was more interested in it as an alternative M42 body to my Bessaflex as it can take the older lenses with the rear "nose" and still work, unlike the Bessa....

As an aside, the Biotar 58 that's mounted on it can, I believe, be mounted on the 5D and it doesn't foul the 5D's mirror because the lens doesn't have the rear "nose" that the presets have, although I'll need to check that to be sure.

If it does, then I'm laughing as I always wanted to be able to fit at least one of the Biotars on my 5D. Smile

Last edited by bob955i on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wasn't bad price 30 GBP for body and an good Biotar 58mm a bargain. Congratulation!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting on the Aki-Asahi shop to get back to me about shutter curtain material as we speak. Smile

Thankfully the Pentacon FM is easier to work on than the Exaktas....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera! I'm glad people are continuing to rescue these. I think the FM is the nicest of the Contax/Pentacons....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick. Smile

And thanks also for providing the body disassembly and shutter replacement notes on your site. Cool

Mr Asahi has got back to me about shutter curtain material so with any luck I should have the old Pentacon re-curtained fairly soon - it actually works fine apart from the curtains being cracked/pinholed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may have some more detail beyond what's on my website (can't remember for sure)... if i haven't already sent you some of that stuff, email me at rick_oleson@yahoo.com and i'll send you what i've got

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Congratulations. I too, consider that its beautiful camera.

bob955i wrote:
...they all generally need new shutter curtains by now ...

Thats because the shuter is not made of metal and because its older and could be more used ? Or its just less reliable ? I'm asking this because I really like that machine (and I would like one). As I read it doesn't have an instant mirror return. So the mirror comes down when winding the film to the next frame.

http://www.praktica-users.com/cams/contax.html
http://www.praktica-users.com/cams/contax/pentaconfmanual_fr.html
http://www.praktica-users.com/cams/contax/contaxdbrochure.html
http://www.praktica-collector.de/105_Pentacon_FM.htm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, yes, it's because the shutter is made of rubber coated cloth, and with age the rubber gets hard .... but the great majority of the best shutters are made of rubber coated cloth, and not all have the same problem to the same degree. The material used in East German cameras in the 1950s seems to have this trouble more than average: I have replaced curtains in Contax/Pentacons nearly every time I've encountered one, and somewhat less in Exaktas, Praktinas, and Praktisixes. Leicas of the same age seldom seem to need curtains, nor generally do Japanese cameras (although Japanese cloth shutters of that age are not as common to begin with). I've been doing this for over 20 years, so if it was just a matter of age the cameras of the 60s and 70s would be starting to show the problem by now... but they don't. So basically I think it was an East German material supply problem during that period. Some of the Russian Zorkis and FEDs also have the same problem.

The mirror in the Contax/Pentacon, like all other SLRs of its day, comes back down when you advance the film for the next shot. This is not a problem in using the camera, but be careful not to leave it in the sun with the shutter released as the lens focuses the sun right onto the shutter curtain. I drove home from work once with an Exakta lying on the seat next to me, and had a hole through the curtain and halfway through the film by the time I got home.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the explanations.