Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Develop canon eos 2000d raws?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Develop canon eos 2000d raws? Reply with quote

How can i develop cr2 raws?
Dxo Photolab or pureraw seems to be the only software to produce usable results.

But there should be other methid too.
However darktable does only produce poor results, rawtherapee is not better either.
Any free software that could produce nice results at lower resolution?

kind regards
bluedxca93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIMP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i can downscale the images with gimp.How does this answer my question?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcraw -w -q 3 -T -6 IMG.CR2
exiftool -tagsfromfile IMG.JPG IMG.TIF
while jpeg and cr2 is the ones ooc.
Then it loads to darkatable

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon has this software, Digital Photo Professional. I know only the software from Nikon, Sony and Olympus, but like the aformentioned, it´s rather likely that this Canon software supports batch processing into the .tif format as well. In my experience, these programs do that considerably better than 3rd party software. And in most cases, pictures only require some small corrections which these programs are fully capable of - so you save the trouble of converting everything in .tif, just the few that require intensive care. Sure, it means you have to get used to one more program, but my experience with Olympus Workspace, Nikon Capture NX-D and Sony Imaging Edge is quite a pleasant one. They are easy to be handled.

Once you have converted from raw (.cr2 or .cr3) to .tif: the quality of a tif-file is comparable to that of raw out of the camera. It has typically no compression and contains all the information from the original camera raw, just that is was developed by using the icc-profile information (see below). Tif is widely supported and can be used in every serious PP program. So it´s probably the easiest way to make a conversion into .tif and start working with that.

Most of the camera raws, so likely also the Canon .cr2 and .cr3 type are based on the .tif standard anyway. The successful development of these raws with 3rd party software is depending on a specific information, which is coming in the form of a so-called icc-profile. These profiles contain information about dynamic range, gamut etc and are therefore unique for a specific camera or at least its sensor. These profiles are on board of the camera manufacturer PP software for every digital camera they ever built (assumption, at least likely for almost every camera), but unfortunately cannot be found easily by simply searching the contents of the program folder of that specific program. I tried and failed. Likewise, I was unable to find an icc-profile for my Sony Alpha 7ii on the internet. Picture Window Pro i.e. has embedded profiles for the 7R3 and 7R4, which are unfortunately useless for the Mk2 (clear - different sensor).
Icc-profiles can be made somehow, by photographing a specific test pattern with the camera for which you want to use it, under a (or several) light source(s) with precise xy kelvin, so that´s not so easy as well.
Anyway: if you a) can manage to get the specific icc-profile for your camera and b) are able to find the place in your 3rd party PP software where you need to put that profile so that the software recognizes and uses it, then you could have achieved your goal as well.