Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Air Mail Delayed by Iceland Volcano
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Air Mail Delayed by Iceland Volcano Reply with quote

Just curious... Has anyone here noticed the cargo impacts of Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano yet?

The news agencies are heavily focused on the passengers who are unable to fly.... but what they are completely forgetting about are the huge volumes of freight, including air mail, which travel across the world by airplane. Shocked

My predictions:
* Air mail already in transit in effected areas will be significantly delayed
* Some if not all airmail will be redirected via alternate means (truck or train to parts of the world which are unaffected, and then via air from there)
* Standard ground shipments will be delayed due to the burden of the extra mail & parcels that would have otherwise gone by air
* Shipping costs, especially international, are going to increase in the short term Sad
* In the long term, shipping costs will probably take a while to come back down, as companies try to recoup their losses from earlier.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one DHL package delayed. Usually it takes 1 business day to arrive (express service) but last Friday they didn't conclude the delivery. I called DHL and they explained me the situation due the vulcano eruption.

I hope I can get the package tomorrow...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sending a lens to a Russian Ebayer at the moment, hope it isn't held up or I'll be getting a few impatient buyer messages.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it sounds like flights are resuming... Did everyone's packages get through?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No response from my buyer, think I'll get the post to look into it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had almost two weeks of lucrative work cancelled due to force majeure from Icelandic volcanic activity. Sure there are worse consequences of the eruption but as a one-man-enterprise that is not of much comfort to me.

So, in stead I'll have to sell something on eBay. Which isn't going to be easy as Priority Airmail these weeks equals Economy Snailmail Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massive delays from Asia to Europe, I have several packages sent and all hang in the system. One just seems to have made it today, just got a call.

Sorry to hear that Vilhelm, but if one one doors closes, others open up!!
What will you be selling if I may ask...?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Air Mail Delayed by Iceland Volcano Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Just curious... Has anyone here noticed the cargo impacts of Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano yet?

One cheap and little package I bought from UK has clearly been delayed.