Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two out of three now (Voigtländer Apo Lanthars)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Two out of three now (Voigtländer Apo Lanthars) Reply with quote

So, finally I got this lens, the SL 180/4 Apo Lanhtar. Smile
Last weekend I sold my Canon EF 80-200/2.8L, been thinking about changing that one for a prime for quite a long time.
Been thinking about buying the 180/4 for a while now, and since I joined this forum and saw even more samples from it and heard what people had to say, I couldn't resist anymore.
So I started to look around for it, but they where harder to find than I expected. Didn't find any on ebay...

But well, ofcourse I found one, it's not impossible...
Photovillage.com had 2 in Nikon mount and one in M42 mount... I wanted M42 mount so it was just perfect and I placed an order this Monday... And this morning, Friday, a postman knocked on my door with a package. Smile
Thats pretty fast delivery I must say.

There was one little problem thou... The auto aperture pin wouldn't let me step down with the adapter I have. So I had to modify the lens.
Doesn't feel quite good to start screwing around with a brand new lens for a couple of houndred dollars. Razz
But it went alright, it was very easy to remove the spring that controlled the step down mechanism and now it steps down when turning the aperture ring.

You can see the small hole where the pin that controlled the auto aperture was. It would be very easy to put it back if I would like to.

And ofcourse, here are som samples from today.
Every pic is taken in my garden, this very day. Smile

Well, flower pictures... Razz
At least I'm quite happy with the bee pic.

Bokeh is of course extraordinary and lens is very sharp.
And it's so small and light. I don't regret that I changed the heavy and big 2.8 zoom that I almost never brought with me for this rather slow lens. I didn't use the zoom that much anyways, mostly when trying to shoot birds, but 200mm is often to short for that.

Well, one more Apo Lanthar to chase down now when I can afford it. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine selection I am green from envy Surprised Congrats!!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Fine selection I am green from envy Surprised Congrats!!

Thank you Attila. I am very happy about it.

This lens fits me very well, It gives pretty good distance when shooting easily scared insects. And the magnification is good enough most of the times. And of course I like the bokeh, but who doesn't like a bokeh like that? Razz

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still sick that I did not buy the 125 and 180 when I could have done. Still I have the 90 for $120 before it became so well known. Lovely series of lenses, and I am sure you are going to enjoy that one

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sad Patrick! That was a big mistake, but you have fine selection of lenses and cameras so never mind.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a great lens and photos.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I will post more photos when I get some. Seems to be a lovley day today.
Perfect for som photography. And hopefully something better than just garden flowers. Wink

These are quite expensive lenses, but I think they are worth every penny.
And still, this lens was $200 cheaper brand new than I got from my 80-200/2.8L from 1991.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Swappo! look a fine lens, great samples

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, that lens is marvellous. One of the true cream machines.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more shots from the Voigtländer Apo Lanthar 180/4.

This will be my main transport this summer, Yamaha Chappy -82.
May still need a bit fixing, but runs fine. Smile

A friend of mine, he tries to fix his old Piaggio ciao from like -87 or something.

Mopeds are fun, and great when weather is beutiful. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very lovely lens and some very lovely samples - congratulations and looking forward to seeing even more results Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I also swapped two lenses, I gave my EF 75-300 and got a Leica 4/180 for it. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following shots are from last sunday.
The lens is great close up, but I wanted to try to get even closer, so I tried to hook it up with a bellows... The result:

Well, I didn't use it fully extended all the time... Mostly it was enough to use it only a couple of centimeters extended.
Maybe not the most flexible thing to use, but it worked well.
Lens cap is not original, just some crappy screw mount, better than nothing a sunny day.

The following pictures where taken using the bellows:

Bee and flowers, I start to like those flying things: Smile

No idea what this flower is called in english, latin name is viola tricolor:

Pretty spider on a dandelion(?), (Taraxacum):

100% crop

A bee on a poppy (Papaver):

100% crop

100% crop of a bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)

I am extremly happy about this lens. It's getting better and better. Smile
I've ordered some macro rings, and I want to get it at least 1:1 when shooting macro. Working distance are quite comfortable when shooting insects with 180mm. I don't mind the loss of light when using rings or bellow as I shoot insects mostly at sunny days anyway... Although it got a liiiiiiitle dark when using the bellows fully extended. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Congratulations! I also swapped two lenses, I gave my EF 75-300 and got a Leica 4/180 for it. Wink

Don't know much about that lens, but i guess you'll be happy with it.
Primes are really nice, and as far as I know, Leica doesn't make bad lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That spider shot?

WOW!!!

Am lost for words Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
That spider shot?

WOW!!!

Am lost for words Embarassed

Thanks!

And by the way, if anyone know what spices the spider are, feel free to tell. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the last one not long ago. Smile
Grabbed it on ebay in OM mount for $428 not long after the new version was announced. Ofcourse I wanted to have the original version witch looked like the other ones. Razz

Now I have all three of the Apo Lanthars. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swappo wrote:
Got the last one not long ago. Smile
Grabbed it on ebay in OM mount for $428 not long after the new version was announced. Ofcourse I wanted to have the original version witch looked like the other ones. Razz

Now I have all three of the Apo Lanthars. Smile

Congrats and welcome to the club!

I had the chance to acquire the 125/2.5 when it was still in production. At that time, the lens looked like a bargain for a fast macro lens. I also had read a few rave reviews about this lens, so I decided to buy it. The other two Apo Lanthar lenses didn't look very interesting to me, mainly because of their limited aperture.

After using the 125/2.5 for a while, I was so enthusiastic about its performance that I decided to buy the 180/4, which was already out of production but still available new from Cameraquest at a reasonable price. I started to use the 180, mainly for traveling, because of its reasonable weight and bulk. The more I used it, the more I loved it but I was still reluctant to buy the 90mm because of some negative comments by friends and reviewers (Photozone).

When the new 90mm SLII lens was announced, I decided to acquire the SLI version to complete my set of original Apo lanthar. It was still available from Cameraquest in Pentax K mount -- at a much higher price than when it was first introduced but still cheaper than the new version.

Now that I have the three lenses, I have discovered that the 90mm was by far the one I use the most, then only the 180mm and last the 125mm. Of course the 125mm is far from being a bad lens but its size and weight make it a pain in the neck to carry along all day long. Having F/2.5 is certainly nice and being able to shoot at 1:1 magnification is sometimes handy, but this lens is too bulky to be part of my everyday kit.

On the other hand, the 90mm is small and light, while retaining the optical quality and some close focus capability of its bigger siblings (at its 50cm minimum focus distance, the magnification is 1:5). Chromatic aberrations are much better controlled than on most other 80mm or 90mm lenses -- and, yes, purple fringing is mainly absent, except occasionally around very bright specular reflections when used wide open.

I have always loved 135mm lenses on film cameras. On my Pentax DSLRs, the Voigtländer 90mm has the angle of view of a 135mm lens. It's a great multipurpose lens for travel. As for its F/3.5 maximum aperture, it's no big deal by today's standards, considering the results obtainable in high ISO with recent digital cameras. Coupled with the diminutive Pentax DA 15/4 and Pentax DA 40/2.8, it forms a compact trio of lenses able to handle most photographic situations with flying colors.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Abazz!

I first came over the 125/2.5 and absolutley loved it from first moment.
I still love it and I rate it among the highest of all my lenses.
I paid about half the price of what i goes for now at the bay.

I agree it isn't the smallest and most light weight lens of all, but I had it in my camera bag when I was on Zanzibar earlier this year and I don't regret it. I came to use several times... The lens i used the most was the Ultron 40/2.

Anyway, here are some pics from the 90/3.5:

Pics may look a bit strange, don't know.. I don't have my computer with regular software on. I used AcDSee 3.1 to resize pictures.
The last one is a crop, not 100% but can't tell how much really. Razz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swappo wrote:
Anyway, here are some pics from the 90/3.5

Pics may look a bit strange, don't know.. I don't have my computer with regular software on. I used AcDSee 3.1 to resize pictures.

Thanks for the pictures Swappo. They look beautiful and there's nothing wrong with them!

As for the 125/2.5, I still like it a lot and will certainly not sell it anytime soon, but I tend to carry the 90/3.5 more nowadays, especially when hiking! Maybe I would make the effort and carry the 125/2.5 if I had a 24x36 DSLR but on an APS-C format camera, I find the 90mm focal length more usable.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crop

The bokeh really came as a surprise for me.... Uh, not really!
It was just as smooth as expected. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the bee on dandelion one! The whirling wings, Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shots in previous posts highlight the CV 180's superior performance at near and medium distances. Some reviewers claim that its performance is not optimal near its close focus, peaks at medium distances and degrades at infinity focus; attached is a distant shot at infinity focus and a tight crop just below. As is immediately apparent, there are fine details on the rooftop just to the left of the microwave array nearly invisible on the full frame view. When time permits I intend to do a comparison @ infinity on the CV 180/4 APO, Nikkor 180/2.8 ED, Leica 180/3.4 APO Telyt and Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 AF (@180mm).

D700, ISO 200, CV 180 @ f/5.6:

Last edited by james on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing in the CV 180/4 APO-Lanthar's infinity performance that should refrain from using it for infinity landscapes. Most of the detail is eaten away by the distance and atmospheric conditions.

All the SL series APO-Lanthars have a focusing that is geared for close-up use. This allows critically precise near focusing, but at the same time focus near or at infinity is very very touchy and likely to cause focusing errors unless the user is aware of this characteristic of the lenses.

Nikon D3, Voigtländer SL 180/4 @ f/5.6

same photo but 100% crop

Last edited by Esox lucius on Tue May 18, 2010 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to second Vilhelm's comment about the 'touchy' focus at near-infinity on the 180 Lanthar. By the way, that's a fascinating photo of the multi-colored houses. Where is this?