Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kalimar MC 28-85mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Kalimar MC 28-85mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about the Kalimar MC Auto Zoom 28-85mm f3.5?

This was another lens that I picked up to use as a mount donor, then couldn't bring myself to take it apart. Wink

It's quite compact for a zoom, only a bit longer than my Soligor 28/2.8. It's a push/pull that takes a bit of effort to move, but the rotation for focus is very smooth. In terms of performance, it seems to be just a bit on the soft side, but gives very saturated colors and a pleasant bokeh. It is very prone to flare, but it is somewhat forgivable because the flare is interestingly colorful. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a sample of the flare. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice flare Surprised

I've seen that pattern grip on Sigmas and Hanimex lenses. Was it made in Korea or Japan? Wondering if it could be a Cimko or something similar. I wonder if the 'K' means anything in the serial number?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was made in Korea.

It took me a while to find the marking, as it was printed in tiny letters in dark grey. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably from the same line as this one then:

http://forum.mflenses.com/hanimex-70-210-made-in-korea-any-info-t13667,highlight,hanimex+70210mm.html

I thought it was an OK lens actually!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Here's a sample of the flare. Very Happy

No doubts, it's a multicoated lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
No doubts, it's a multicoated lens. Very Happy

Is that what does it? Hmm... I suppose the fact that I've never seen it like that before probably says something about the rest of my lenses... Very Happy