Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strange FD serial number
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Strange FD serial number Reply with quote

I notice that the serial number of my FD 200mm f/1.8L is strange.

As far as I know, during the period of production (1989 - 1991), Canon used the format XXYYYY with X is the code for the factory (U = Utsunomiya, F = Fukushima, and O = Ōita), Y is the code for year of production, and the first YY is the indication of the month.

Mine is TF0202, so I guess it's produced on February 1991, but I can't figure out the meaning of letter T.

Can someone enlighten me?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T stands for "toxic"!
Please send it to me for safe storage.

Wink
Don´t really know for what it stands.

I work in a machine vision company as lens designer, and there I tested a special high end lens. Not sure, but I think it was Canon Fd mount with adapter, or at least that manufacturer still uses today this old outdated mount!
From Nikon it is well known, that they produced very long (or still do?) manual lenses for example for machine vision.
So I would not wonder, when that lens you have was made for a special project / application outside of consumer photography.
For example for traffic control or such.

By the way: What we see in our image is the filter? Or the back lens? How far is the back-lens away from the FD-flange surface?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a kind of special lens, but it's designed for normal Canon film cameras so it's a consumer lens. What you see is just the mount of the lens, like other FD lenses. It was made after the EF 200mm f/1.8L as the demand of some Pros who was still shooting FD mount cameras. I'm using it normally with my Sony A7iii.