Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy howdy. Also mis-categorized items. This is why I always conduct my searches from eBay's home screen. I've found a few keepers that were mis-categorized that way.

And +1 on poor photos. I scored my Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 from an eBay auction for a Canon outfit with fuzzy photos, but in one, I could barely make out a 55 on the lens "name" ring. There was no mention of the lens's focal length or aperture in the description, but I knew that, because it was a 55mm, it had to be an f/1.2. I ended up returning the camera because it was defective, so by the time the dust settled, I'd picked up a clean FD 55mm f/1.2 and a decent little Sunpak flash for less than $90US.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
leemik wrote:
Some of you guys are really lucky... (

Luck has nothing to do with it. At this point it's about the number of listings you scan, ability to identify lenses based on a poor photos/insufficient info, ability to valuate on the spot, willingness to take a risk, and budget.

And it depends on the place you're living.
Importing a "bargain" from the US simply is too expensive.
I have found all my bargainy locally - but if someone's living in a place where 30, 40 of 50 years ago there was nearly no expensive gear ... what can he/she do now ...?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Gardener wrote:
leemik wrote:

Luck has nothing to do with it. At this point it's about the number of listings you scan, ability to identify lenses based on a poor photos/insufficient info, ability to valuate on the spot, willingness to take a risk, and budget.

And it depends on the place you're living.
Importing a "bargain" from the US simply is too expensive.
I have found all my bargainy locally - but if someone's living in a place where 30, 40 of 50 years ago there was nearly no expensive gear ... what can he/she do now ...?

I can empathize. I think the USPS's international rates are way too high, but there's nothing I can do about it. I shop around for the best rates for my international customers, but the USPS always ends up being cheapest, and it's expensive.

I've found that the UK has very good international rates, and frequently I've found bargain items that were listed there, so I occasionally buy items from UK sellers, especially when the price is right. So that's a possibility for you to check into. I would think that shipping from the UK the Switzerland should be substantially less than it is to the USA. And what about Germany? I see many items from Germany on eBay -- alhough they also seem to be priced higher than other countries.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

I can empathize. I think the USPS's international rates are way too high, but there's nothing I can do about it. I shop around for the best rates for my international customers, but the USPS always ends up being cheapest, and it's expensive.

I've found that the UK has very good international rates, and frequently I've found bargain items that were listed there, so I occasionally buy items from UK sellers, especially when the price is right. So that's a possibility for you to check into. I would think that shipping from the UK the Switzerland should be substantially less than it is to the USA. And what about Germany? I see many items from Germany on eBay -- alhough they also seem to be priced higher than other countries.

Oh, i'm not complaining at all !! Switzerland was (and is) a rich country, there's plenty of interesting stuff around ... often at very reasonable prices.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
And +1 on poor photos. I scored my Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 from an eBay auction for a Canon outfit with fuzzy photos, but in one, I could barely make out a 55 on the lens "name" ring. There was no mention of the lens's focal length or aperture in the description, but I knew that, because it was a 55mm, it had to be an f/1.2. I ended up returning the camera because it was defective, so by the time the dust settled, I'd picked up a clean FD 55mm f/1.2 and a decent little Sunpak flash for less than $90US.

At least you had some letter to read. Last month I correctly identified a Rokkor 58/1.2 from this photo:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
leemik wrote:

This is so true! You also need to give yourself enough time! When you just keep your eyes open, eventually you will make some great findings. Also this thread is only about found bargains. When taking risks, one gets not only bargains but not so good deals too. Small local places are the best for finding cheap equipment.

My biggest bargains (all within last year):
- Minolta MD Rokkor 45/2 with Minolta SRT 100X body for 2 (from local charity shop)
- Broken Chaika 3 with Industar 69 28/2.8 for 2 (from nearby swap meet)
- Praktica super TL2 with Pentacon 50/1.8 and 135/2.8 for 5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought these 40 cameras for 35 British pounds , and I am on my way to collect them, only photos available are these (sorry for the link I don't know how to upload photos from mobile directly) pretty poor quality photos

So I don't know yet if it is a bargain but I thought. Com'n this is less than a pound each

Now my question please from what you see here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88124856@N08/shares/17AS5B

I am planning to take all the lenses but due to wieght I can only take about 5-10 cameras
Which ones would you take please, obviously as far as the photos can tell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several cameras that you can reject out of hand, The plastic fake cameras -- especially the ones with the handle flashes -- those are dead giveaways.

Now, you say you want to take all the lenses -- I don't see any separate lenses, so I assume you'll be taking lenses off cameras. I wouldn't do that, unless I'm taking a lens that fits a camera I'll be taking or that I already have. Otherwise, what's the point?

So, if you restrict the lenses you take to the cameras you take, you'll save weight right there and you can take more cameras. As to which cameras, well, I see a few Minollta SRT models and what looks like an X7A -- those are good bets. There's also a Canon AT-1. I'd definitely take that one and any other Canon FD camera, in case I missed one. There are a couple of Fujis, a few Pentaxes and a couple of Ricohs and I think one Yashica that I'd also be interested in. That's probably quite a bit more than what you want to take with you, but you can winnow from that standpoint. I didn't pay attention to the AF cameras, since they most all look a lot alike and it's hard to tell which is which. Didn't pay much attention to the P&S or rangefinders, either. Except that one in the second row in the left picture. It looks kinda interesting.

Good luck and happy picking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is at least one Chinon, a Konica and a Topcon that would qualify for me - and all the Pentaxes of course - these over and above what Michael has listed
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: The big fish that got away! Reply with quote

Thought I'd scored with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401225061607?_trksid=p2060353.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The price just for the FA 80-200mm was great, add in the sought after AF 1.7x TC, 2 examples of which had bid up to £190 odd only a week ago, well you can see why I was excited. Then I get this message:

Quote:
Hello Mr. Brown,
I am terribly sorry to inform you, that due to an accident, the lens has been damaged and is unserviceable.
I will of course refund....

I'm not stupid. I reply:
Quote:
I've been "gazumped" haven't I !?!?

No answer. I left negative fb in a fit of pique, not that it will make any difference. Oh well, YWSYLS.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The big fish that got away! Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
No answer. I left negative fb in a fit of pique, not that it will make any difference. Oh well, YWSYLS.

I'd ask to see a few photos of the irreparably damaged lens. It would be quite an exercise for him to provide any if the story isn't legit. Who knows, maybe he did drop the thing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the replies, I was so busy that I couldn't look back
The cameras were not usable that I had to leave them behind, they were all drilled on the back to fit them as decoration!! Epoxy was also glued, so it is not fair to even sell them as spares.
However, I found over 20 lenses mostly primes in very good condition
Here are some
4 minolta mc/md 50 (f1.7x2, f2x2)
Canon fd 50mm1. 8
Fujnon 551.8 m42
Fujnon 50mm 2.2 m42
Pentax M 50f1.7
Fujnon dm 50mm 1.6
Sears 50mm2 x2
Yashica 50mm 1.9
Vivitar 28-200 kmount

Some no names third party Japanese primes

2 af zooms Canon and Minolta both work
So overall I am quite happy with this,
Thanks again for the responses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon FE plus a like-new Nikkor Ai 2.8/24mm and MD-12 Motor for CHF 40.-- (about EUR/USD 40.--), at a local "used stuff" store.
The camera is a bit dusty, but otherwise the entire set looks and feels like new.

Stephan

Image taken "on spot" with Sony A7 and Hexanon AR 2.8/35-100mm, wide open, at about f=80mm.
While the fast Hexanon zoom is fairly good at "infinity", its f2.8 aberrations at close distances are ... should i say "characterful" ...?

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great find! The FE and MD12 are one of the greatest pairings of Nikon gear ever! And a 24 in the mix, to boot!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now an Admiral Panagor 2.8/90mm Macro and a Vivitar 2.8/100mm Macro (same as the legendary Kiron 2.8/105mm Macro) ... the first for free, the latter for CHF 15.--. Damn, i simply can't resist to these opportunities ... Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Damn, i simply can't resist to these opportunities ... Wink

Why would you? You can easily sell those at a nice profit if you don't like them...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
What a great find! The FE and MD12 are one of the greatest pairings of Nikon gear ever! And a 24 in the mix, to boot!

Today i found that there was a Nikkor Ai 4.5/80-200 included in the set, which i had overseen, like new as well - for another 15 bucks.
I couln't resist, again ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: I know it s not very original... Reply with quote

I know it s not a very original item but i went for a walk this morning in our town and there was a flea market. I neve ever bought something on a flea market before, but for 10 eur i couldn t resist, both the camera and lens are mint, the lens even focuses smoothly and needs no CLA. There was even some film in the camera!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the гелиос has excellent condition by photo/ congrats/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
the гелиос has excellent condition by photo/ congrats/

Yes indeed, there is still "glue" on the screws of the focusing ring, there are a couple of small scratches visible under direct light on the front element though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
And what about Germany? I see many items from Germany on eBay -- alhough they also seem to be priced higher than other countries.

Well Michael,
there is a hardly know shipping method from Germany abroad, which actually is rather low cost, has tracking and additional insurance could be added to it (up to EUR3.000 in theory at 2% fees - and this is a hidden insurance, hint hint): Have it sent as a REGISTERED MAXIBRIEF (MAXIBRIEF EINSCHREIBEN in German) (maxi brief means "large letter") which can be up to 2 Kilos in weight and Length + Height+ Depth girdle has to be smaller that 90 centimeters (which is quite a lot actually). THIS IS IDEAL FOR SHIPPING LENSES!!! Much much less cost than using a DHL parcel. [Story behind is, when Deutsche Post sold off their parcel business as DHL, they lost a lot of turnover, so they extended their letter service by the so called Maxibrief, which basically is a small parcel, to gain back some turnover I guess]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
And what about Germany? I see many items from Germany on eBay -- alhough they also seem to be priced higher than other countries.

Well Michael,
there is a hardly know shipping method from Germany abroad, which actually is rather low cost, has tracking and additional insurance could be added to it (up to EUR3.000 in theory at 2% fees - and this is a hidden insurance, hint hint): Have it sent as a REGISTERED MAXIBRIEF (MAXIBRIEF EINSCHREIBEN in German) (maxi brief means "large letter") which can be up to 2 Kilos in weight and Length + Height+ Depth girdle has to be smaller that 90 centimeters (which is quite a lot actually). THIS IS IDEAL FOR SHIPPING LENSES!!! Much much less cost than using a DHL parcel. [Story behind is, when Deutsche Post sold off their parcel business as DHL, they lost a lot of turnover, so they extended their letter service by the so called Maxibrief, which basically is a small parcel, to gain back some turnover I guess]

The <2kg version isn't exactly a bargain (17 base price), only the <1kg version (7) and the <500g "Grobrief International" (3,70).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but if that is postage to a country like the US or Canada, then I think that even 17 Euros for a 2kg package is reasonable. At least, compared to what the USPS charges these days. Yet they are still WAY cheaper than UPS, FedEx, or DHL.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a small lens with its box from Germany the other day. Postage was $AUD 9 to Australia. Internal postage prices tend to be more than this, so I was happy and marked the seller a favourite Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last purchase - Minolta 35-70/ f3,5 in Konica mount for $5 on flea market before it closed down for the winter.

Last edited by Paulius on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total