Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had much luck at garage sales. Best I've ever done was a Minolta Hi-Matic AF2. Not a bad P&S, but still . . . .

Back when I lived in Southern California, swap meets were everywhere and I had much better luck at them. Sadly, there's only one in Houston, and almost all the vendors have the same new crap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my catch of garage sales last weekend for € 12. A bag full of gear in good working condition.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
This is my catch of garage sales

Yeah, i know ... that's always fun Wink. Or nearly always;)

Earlier this year i met a guy with his Minolta XE, and a few lenses such as the Minolta MC 1.8/35mm, the MC 1.4/50mm and the MC 3.5/100mm Macro. I looked a the stuff, and he asked how much i would pay for the entire bag. I told him that i already own all these items, but that they certainly were >CHF/EUR/USD 150.--. We were talking a bit, and after some time he instisted that i would buy the lot ... for as little as CHF 50.--! Later - and that was bit frustrating - he told me that he had already sold a "large" Minolta lens earlier in the morning, for as little as CHF 60.--, belonging to the same Minolta camera.

It was a rare MC 5.6/400mm APO.

Of course i woved to get up earlier next time ...

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an olympus om 2 with an 50mm 1.4, 28mm f2 and 21mm f2 for 100$ in an antique shop. Very exctied

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonyA7Shooter wrote:
Found an olympus om 2 with an 50mm 1.4, 28mm f2 and 21mm f2 for 100$ in an antique shop. Very exctied

Wow, that is a good find!

I bought a few days ago Nikkormat EL with winder, Nikkor 50/2 pre AI, Nikkor 105/2.5 pre AI and Makinon 24/2.8 for 60EUR. I already had 105mm but 50mm was really nice surprise. Very good quality even wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonyA7Shooter wrote:

Very nice indeed Wink
I'd be excited as well Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 USD...

Not included are the Pentacon 135/2.8 and electric 50/1.8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Congrats

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I found a 1965 Hasselblad Super Wide C, with film back and viewfinder, for $175. And splurged on a second back for $50. It is the only reason that I will be taking my 6x6 reels, tanks and negative carriers out of storage Smile.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats
Looks exciting

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina Cosinon Auto MC 40mm f2.5 pancake lens. Pentax K Mount. Found at a thrift store for $15 USD. It is just a tad over 20mm from the mounting flange to the front of the lens. The lens also came with a plastic lens hood without any markings on it. I don't know if the lens hood is original or a generic one.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysticeyes wrote:
Hello, I found a 1965 Hasselblad Super Wide C, with film back and viewfinder, for $175. And splurged on a second back for $50. It is the only reason that I will be taking my 6x6 reels, tanks and negative carriers out of storage Smile.

WUT, that with the 38mm Biogon for $175??? Man, what a STEAL!!! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the missle tracking lens for about $150. Mine is a Chinese one. It weighs about 30+ kilograms.Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This for $75. Purchased based on the single photo provided. You might wonder if the second left lens in the bottom row is what you think it is. The answer is yes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10€

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you guys are really lucky... I never find anything of real interest at any local yard sale/craigslist/thrift store... I asked a local used camera dealer once: How come you never have old rangefinders or even old fixed lens cameras. He goes 'oh when we get those or anything valuable we immediately put them on ebay'.. Me: So you have some but won't sell it to me.. He shrugs.. Which made me really angry.. Why support my local camera dealer? ..sigh Sad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: what are the biggest bargains you have found? Reply with quote

seta666 wrote:
I know that some years ago you could find very good deals, but now prices seem to have gone crazy, especially with anything with zeiss or SMC written on it
In my case these would be:
-Tamron SP 90 2.5 macro with OM, FD and C/Y adapters, near mint condition 16� on a local cash converters few months ago.
- Fujinon W EBC 35mm 2.8 with hood, quite beaten up on the outside but lenses OK, 5� on a local market some months ago too

And also very good deals, my yashicas MLs, from 35� (28mm, 50mm 1.7) to 150�(24mm), tokina 17mm 65�, mint Mir-20 150�, 3 leitz summars for 150�, etc....

Now tell me about your findings and make me cry Wink

Taylor-Hobson brass-bodied selective blur portrait lens. $40 surplus. Sold it for $1200.00 (financed a camera body). Schneider 25mm f/0.95 c-mount lens, $150.00. Kodak Ektar 360mm lens, $20.00 flea market, eventually sold for $400. $40 for a Leica R 50mm f/2.0, $100 for Leica R 28mm, Zeiss 25mm Tevidon c-mount lens, $10, $5 for a Minolta 58mm f/1.4, Older Pentax 500mm f/4.5 for $80, 35mm f/2.0 Pentax Takumar (smaller one) $12, Nikon 135mm f/2.8 Q lens for $14, $125 for Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 Nokton. Still waiting for the $50 Leica 50mm f/2.0 Apo Summicron...I don't see that happening any time soon.
But nothing beats a friend of mine: $16,000 in Nikon glass...for nothing. School cleaned out its A/V department. "It's who you know."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
One of the missle tracking lens for about $150. Mine is a Chinese one. It weighs about 30+ kilograms.Smile

Is it a Cassegrain or a Maksutov-Cassegrain? You could remount the optics in a light tube assembly. Probably about 3000mm f/6 or 7?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sceptic"]22 USD...

Wow!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leemik wrote:
Some of you guys are really lucky... I never find anything of real interest at any local yard sale/craigslist/thrift store... I asked a local used camera dealer once: How come you never have old rangefinders or even old fixed lens cameras. He goes 'oh when we get those or anything valuable we immediately put them on ebay'.. Me: So you have some but won't sell it to me.. He shrugs.. Which made me really angry.. Why support my local camera dealer? ..sigh Sad

So, ask the guy for his eBay ID. If he's selling with a BIN, it makes no sense not to sell to you direct -- unless he's trying to avoid reporting sale for sales tax reasons perhaps -- but if he's doing auctions, you might be able to pick up some stuff for cheap -- cuz often auctions aren't well attended anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RichA"]
kievuser wrote:

Is it a Cassegrain or a Maksutov-Cassegrain? You could remount the optics in a light tube assembly. Probably about 3000mm f/6 or 7?

It is a very sharp lens. I can read numbers and letters of about 1cm size 300-400 meters away with an eye-piece. I think it is a 2000mm+, F8 lens. It looks like a Maksutov-Cassegrin type of lens. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kievuser"]
RichA wrote:
kievuser wrote:

It is a very sharp lens. I can read numbers and letters of about 1cm size 300-400 meters away with an eye-piece. I think it is a 2000mm+, F8 lens. It looks like a Maksutov-Cassegrin type of lens. Like 1 small

Sounds good. I've owned telescopes like that, another reason to rehouse the optics in a light assembly is cool-down time. It can take over an hour for the optics to reach thermal equilibrium if it's say colder outside than in. Plus, easier to carry!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leemik wrote:
Some of you guys are really lucky... (

Luck has nothing to do with it. At this point it's about the number of listings you scan, ability to identify lenses based on a poor photos/insufficient info, ability to valuate on the spot, willingness to take a risk, and budget.