Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Revolver MicroProjector Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Revolver MicroProjector Microscope Reply with quote

On a local auction site
"Zeiss Revolver MicroProjector Microscope w/ six Objectives
6.3 mm, 16 mm, 25 mm, 32mm, 40mm , 63mm"
Can one use these objectives with success on bellows for larger than life macro?
the objectives has only " Carl Zeiss ,a number and the length (60mm,etc) written on them
Would the quality be better than a good enlarger lens reversed on the bellows for the lower magnifications like 2-3 times life size? Any experience anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you can't, these are projection-only Luminars without iris.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired a projection Luminar 40mm and I found this old thread while looking for information.

It's nonsense that the projection Luminars aren't suitable for macro photography.

Here's a straight out of camera unedited, unsharpened shot of the label of an SD card, as you can see, no problem here, lens is very sharp and very highly corrected.

100% crop:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a 40mm Projection Luminar not too long ago...maybe it was to you? Anyway, I do a lot of macro work with these, so for sure they can work well for macro, you just can't stop them down. That's not a big deal since much work is done with stacking these days. Key is that the lens performs well wide-open, and indeed these do.

Klaus, what was the reason you were negative about these for macro work?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray

I'm in England, if these shots are from your auction, then yes, it was me that bought yours. I am liking it a lot, got it on a 36-90mm helicoid with an RMS-M42 adapter.

As you say, the lack of iris is no obstacle, especially with stacking.

I'm working on a stand for it, I might buy a cheap old microscope stand and modify it for this purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back at my auction photo archive I see the one I sold was a 25mm, not 40mm. I bought both 25mm and 40mm together, but was not as happy with the 25mm so I sold it. I really like the 40mm and kept it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this one very cheap, it's clearly an excellent lens, so I'm happy with it, I just need to improve my macro skills to get the most out of it now.

Tomorrow I'm off to the beach to hunt interesting things to collect and bring home to shoot some macro shots of.

BTW Ray, do you have any advice on setting up a stand for macro work? I have several bellows as well as the aforementioned helicoid, I just need a stand to mount it all on and allow fine movements for focusing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I got this one very cheap, it's clearly an excellent lens, so I'm happy with it, I just need to improve my macro skills to get the most out of it now.

Tomorrow I'm off to the beach to hunt interesting things to collect and bring home to shoot some macro shots of.

BTW Ray, do you have any advice on setting up a stand for macro work? I have several bellows as well as the aforementioned helicoid, I just need a stand to mount it all on and allow fine movements for focusing.

Sounds good! Sand is an amazing macro subject.

For the stand, I can certainly make some suggestions. I've been building systems for folks for almost a decade and have learned quite a bit about how to do it right, and cheaply. My most recent systems are really simple and effective. If you build it yourself it will cost perhaps US$60 for the stand itself. For fine focusing I highly recommend the Chinese Z-stages which you should be able to source in the UK I believe. I can make a parts list for you and build instructions if you like. I could build you one but shipping would cost almost as much as the whole stand, so better for you to DIY if you are able.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, so I definitely asked the right guy, cheers, any assistance is very much appreciated as your experience will help me avoid making all the mistakes you have already learned to avoid.

I'm definitely able to do some DIY, I've been looking at microscope stands like this Olympus BHM unit, just not sure how to go about modifying it. I think I already have a suitable Chinese macro rail, I'll have to dig into my boxes to find it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-BHM-Metallurgical-Microscope-Stand-1/143671107477

We have several beaches here, shingle, sand and rocky, so there should be no shortage of little things I can find, especially in and around the rockpools.