Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Polarizers on MF lenses with rotating front element?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Polarizers on MF lenses with rotating front element? Reply with quote

Anyone have any tips for how to use a polarizer (or any other rotating filter) on the front of a lens with a rotating front focusing element? Question

For example, I was trying to use a polarizer on the front of the D40's 18-55mm kit lens. When in Auto-Focus mode (Can you say those words here? Very Happy ), you can just set the filter, then lightly hold it while you half-press the shutter and the auto-focus does its job, maintaining the correct orientation of the filter.

However, when the switch is set to manual focus, then you end up with two pieces which independently rotate, and the 18-55 has very very little stiffness on the focus ring. Combine this with the fact that the 18-55 doesn't have a hard stop at infinity (at least mine), it pretty much becomes impossible. Confused

Anyone have any tips or tricks? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the habit of rotating the PL filter for each shot anyway,
so it's never been an issue for me. I tend to focus first, then
rotate the PL to desired effect, then take the shot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SkedAddled.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't use CPLs on those lenses that rotate. After you've been here long enough you tend to have a few of the same focal length.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
I'm in the habit of rotating the PL filter for each shot anyway,
so it's never been an issue for me. I tend to focus first, then
rotate the PL to desired effect, then take the shot.

I would do that, but it would take two hands to do that on the 18-55. If you try to rotate the polarizer, you need a second hand to hold the focus in place, otherwise it turns that too... it's just that easy to turn. Confused