Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Focus helicoid of Volna-9 is slow, what grease to use?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Focus helicoid of Volna-9 is slow, what grease to use? Reply with quote

I'm really new to these type of lenses.
I fell inlove with the Volna-9 after seeing how well it performed and bought one for myself.
When I got it, the focusing was so smooth! But my hands felt kind of sticky afterwards after playing around with it but decided to wipe the area of the lens that extended (I put a red arrow on the picture to show you which part I wiped off) which is... not such a wise idea. My brother explained to me that the focusing helicoid needs to be lubricated so that it can turn smoothly.

*Edit: The red arrow is REALLY tiny in the photo! I don't know how that happened but can you still see it? It's the one that looks like a line in the photo

Right now, turning the focusing helicoid takes more effort. It feels really slowed down. Can you advise me on what I should do? I read in one of the forums that white lithium grease would work, what do you think? Also, how do I apply it?

PHOTO HERE:
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20141/7726_003vert_1.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view is that the commonly available 'general purpose grease' that mechanics use for car wheel bearings, bicycle cranks and that kind of stuff is just fine. It's designed to work at temperature extremes we wouldn't normally subject a lens to, and far higher dynamic loads than any of us will exert on a helicoid.
I also will not use molybdenum disulfide grease because the oil separates from the grease.

But a lot of people disagree and use MD grease, or spend a lot of money on ultra high performing greases. It's something that's always the subject of debate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
My view is that the commonly available 'general purpose grease' that mechanics use for car wheel bearings, bicycle cranks and that kind of stuff is just fine. It's designed to work at temperature extremes we wouldn't normally subject a lens to, and far higher dynamic loads than any of us will exert on a helicoid.
I also will not use molybdenum disulfide grease because the oil separates from the grease.

But a lot of people disagree and use MD grease, or spend a lot of money on ultra high performing greases. It's something that's always the subject of debate.

I read that organic substances are a bad idea for lenses especially for the glass and was recommended something synthetic like "Silicone" grease. I checked the online shop of our local hardware store since I can't physically go there yet because of college and they are selling "Silicone Oil". Do you know what the difference is? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicone oil is too thin, the grease should be ok though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not use Silicone based grease. Use Teflon/Lithium grease used in bearings/moving parts with good temperature stability. Different grease has different viscosity so you may need to try which one works best.