Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question for Orio.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Question for Orio. Reply with quote

How does the Distagon 25 compare with the Flek 25 for distortion, with reference to the Flek 4/20 as a benchmark?

Thanks. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not made test shots for this, from normal use the Flek 25 seems excellent with regards to distortion, however I must say that the Distagon 25 is fantastic lens, with nearly nonexistent distortion and excellent centre sharpness, make sure however that the Distagon copy is not build before 1985 because in 1984 the lens design was modified to improve edge performance. All MM copies are safe, for the AE copies consult the engine, from my experience I can say that copies with a serial number beginning with 68 or higher should be ok, the 68 serial is usually from 1985.
Or even better consider a new Z series copy instead of Contax, which was again redesigned and has excellent cinematic mechanical parts.
Price factor is all for the Flek, which easily costs 4 times less, however the sharpness of the Flek 25 is not even comparable with that of the Distagon.
Both lenses (Flek 25 and Distagon 25) are amongst the oldest designs in the Zeiss catalogues, as the Flek 25 existed longtime as a rangefinder model and the Distagon 25 was the first Distagon ever made, it exists in Contarex version. So both are desireable historical pieces.

Comments about many Contax lenses:
http://www.nadir.it/ob-fot/contax_eyes.htm

Engine to find year of production of Zeiss lenses (not complete):
http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HT/HTDating.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio - the reason I ask is because I've found an AE Distagon 25 in C/Y mount lurking on a dealer's site for ?179 GBP.

If the distortion of the Distagon 25 is as good as that of the Fleks then there's really no contest, especially given that the Distagon will be a lot sharper as you say.

To be honest I was leaning more towards just biting the bullet and saving up for the new Distagon 25 in M42 although I must admit that the Flek 25 is very tempting in the meantime....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Thanks Orio - the reason I ask is because I've found an AE Distagon 25 in C/Y mount lurking on a dealer's site for ?179 GBP.

Check the serial number and if it start with 67 or lower my advice is not to buy, as tempting as the price may be.