Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone familiar with Kodak Retina Reflex lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Anyone familiar with Kodak Retina Reflex lenses? Reply with quote

Just got a Schneider Tele-Xenar 135 f4, on which the diaphragm spring appears to be very weak to non-existent, compared to the Bessamatic lenses I already have, using the same mount.
The Bessamatic iris springs are quite strong and the iris snaps back no problem to the default closed position, same with the DOF indicator return spring.

This is the first Kodak Schneider lens for the Reflex I've bought so I'm wondering if it's meant to be a bit unsprung, that's all. It closes down and opens up smoothly enough but there's a distinct step when it reaches f4.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it could be a camera related issue, more likely the lens is old and the iris has some resistance (maybe caused by gelatinized oil) in one point.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I don't think it could be a camera related issue, more likely the lens is old and the iris has some resistance (maybe caused by gelatinized oil) in one point.

This is off the camera, working the iris and DOF levers manually. I've left the lens to warm up a bit and will work it back and forth tonight and hope it frees up. If not, it can go back to the seller.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that you can keep the lens, Schneider lenses are top quality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I hope that you can keep the lens, Schneider lenses are top quality.

I hope so too- it's a nice little lens and will have oddity value if fitted to an EOS if nothing else.
Warming it has freed it slightly - tomorrow I'll take the rear element off and attempt to clean the iris with lighter fluid. I'd rather keep it if I can free it off, it was half the price of others available.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little piece of advice, don't deal with the aperture unless absolutely necessary. If the aperture works, although not ideally, my advice is to leave it alone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect it's dirty. I have the 135 TX in retina reflex mount, which I've adapted so I can use it on both the RR3 and a Bessamatic. It works fine on both.

I don't have any repair sketches for the lens.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@orio and rick

I'll attempt to clean it up until it frees off a bit. I've no intention of stripping it down - too many intricate parts in there and the way the iris leaves intertwine is interesting. Not surprising that it got a bit sticky after 40 years of that.