Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stiff focus ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Stiff focus ring Reply with quote

Hi folks, I've got a question about my C/Y 28mm 2.0 ('Hollywood') which I recently bought from eBay. The seller described the lens correct, and mentioned the stiff focus ring, but I couldn't let it slip for the price. It's a perfectly mint copy, without any noticable signs of wear.

However, the focus ring is indeed pretty stiff (compared to my 50/1.4, 35-70/3.4 and 135/2.Cool. The stiffness is the same throughout the focus range. As a matter of fact, the focusing is actually quit 'smooth', you just have to apply quit some force to get it moving Razz

What I'd like to know is how hard/expensive is it to get the stiff focus ring fixed. Also, does a stiff focus ring affect the resale value of my lens a lot (I'm not planning to do so, but would like to hear your opinion)?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here in Toulouse, a complete CLA would cost about 50 euros, done by a pro (not me) ...

For the resale value, i don't know ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I might consider to have a CLA if prices around here are comparable (and I can find someone that doesn't mess up my beautiful Zeiss Very Happy)

By the way, I'm not totally sure but I think the stiffness is decreasing the more I use the lens; is that possible? Maybe I'm just getting used to it Razz.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly possible the focus will become easier with use - one of my lenses was quite stiff when new and for six months or so.
If it becomes stiffer or feels rough though it will need regreasing - original grease can separate into a light oil & hard grease. The lighter component often migrates to the diaphragm & causes aperture problems - check for this first, it'll need CLA right away if the diaphragm is slow or sticky - sometimes you can see the oil on the blades.
Very very stiff can break internal components.