Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Magnicon 80-200mm lens (Nikon Mount)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Magnicon 80-200mm lens (Nikon Mount) Reply with quote

I just bought a cheap Magnicon zoom lens, serial no. L8511xxx. Anyone knows who made this lens? Someone suggested that it is made by either Tokina or Vivitar.
Here two photos that I took with it

Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post images of the lens? I've had a Tokina 80-200/4, so I think I can identify yours if it's a Tokina.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Magnicon lens Reply with quote

A photo of the Magnicon lens

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Magnicon lenses sold by Blacks Camera in Canada were made by Tokina,Komine,Cosina and probably a few others.

In the early to mid '90's,we picked up a few of Black's lenses the MC 28mm 2.8 built by Komine and the same Magnicon 80-200mm f4.5-5.6 Macro Zoom for my wife.

They both performed better then expected for a amateur lens.

My wife used them for some time before handing them over to our daughter.

To me it looks somewhat similar to the Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm 1:4.5-5.6 Macro Zoom.

The SZ-X line were Tokinas compact amateur lenses,a step above the consumer lens....a later version of this lens is a bit more compact.

A sweet handling 80-200,about the size of a beer can at the 80mm setting,the lens is quite user friendly.

My daughter still uses these lenses on her new/used Nikon D40 as well as a few Nikon SLR's.

A couple of weeks ago she was over and I used her D40,with this lens mounted...I was surprised the dampner for the focus/zoom hadn't loosened up.

Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm 1:4.5-5.6 Macro Zoom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the lens has the same style grip as a Hanimex I had, made in Korea and a Sigma also:

The Hanimex was very good, whilst the Sigma was crap. But it easily be neither Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniramca,

Your lens appears nearly identical to a Toyo/T.O.U. Optics/Five Star lens that I have. I believe it comes from one of the lesser know makers such as Cima, Makina or someone very obscure. I am fairly certain it is not from Tokina, Kino, Tamron, or Sigma. During the mid eighties, lenses like this one were available from discounters for as little as $99 US. Mine is very lightly built with some elements retained by spring clips instead of threaded retainers.

Boomer,

Your Tokina SZ-X is another interesting bird as I have seen a lens of that specification and general build labeled as Sigma and Tamron also. I have one in Tamron Adaptall 2 configuration. It was part of a two zoom kit with a common instruction sheet. I think I've posted about that kit here previously.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info and discussion. The photo of the other lenses appear to be much newer version than mine. Are the Tokina and Hanimex on Nikon mount? Notice the rabbit ear on my lens, indicating an older version of the Nikon mount lens.

I actually had a choice between the Magnicon and another similar lens by "Image". I chose this one, as the glass looks cleaner, and has extra filter included (for the same price)

Another queation is about a Tokina 50-250mm lens. Anyone knows about this lens' quality? It has been sitting in the store for months and no one bought it (for $40). Is it a decent lens (also for Nikon mount)?

Did they make lenses for export in China, Korea, etc in the 1980s?
My lens does not said "Japan", and has f stop of f/4.5-5.5 on it.

Who made the Hanimex lens? I remember that it seems to be related to Praktika camera. Is it from East Germany?

Do you find the sharpness of the lens adequate? I thought it is a good buy for a $30 lens. I also bought a Vivitar 28mm F/2.8 prime lens, and I am also happy with the results. Here are 2 photos taken with the Vivitar:

Again, thanks for the discussion and comments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just shoot a few close distances at 80,100,135&200mm at all stops to f11 or f16(two sets @ one and five meters),then shoot a near distance of 10-15 meters....and if you wish to shoot longer distances...then a far distance set of 75 meters,then a set at a distance of 4-6 or more kilometers.

Find it's sweet spots at various focal lengths and that will give you a bit of insight of the lens abilities,and a starting point to work from.

BTW...what Nikon/s are you shooting?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aniramca wrote:
Another queation is about a Tokina 50-250mm lens. Anyone knows about this lens' quality? It has been sitting in the store for months and no one bought it (for $40). Is it a decent lens (also for Nikon mount)?

Did they make lenses for export in China, Korea, etc in the 1980s?
My lens does not said "Japan", and has f stop of f/4.5-5.5 on it.

Who made the Hanimex lens? I remember that it seems to be related to Praktika camera. Is it from East Germany?

1- Tokina 50-250 is VERY GOOD (one of the best tele lenses at that period - whatever the trade mark
Tokina lenses are Japan made

2- Hanimex lenses were sourced from many manufacturers : mainly Makinon (makina optical) and sun (goyo optical) but also from Topman.....
Hanimex is an australian company ABSOLUTELY no connection with east germany (for info sigma manufactured the NON east germany lenses for Pentacon/Praktica)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Hmm, the lens has the same style grip as a Hanimex I had, made in Korea and a Sigma also:

The Hanimex was very good, whilst the Sigma was crap. But it easily be neither Laughing

I have a Sigma which looks to be almost identical to yours:

They do look similar to aniramca's Magnicon, although I suspect they are newer. Mine was a Nikon mount before I robbed it for parts, but it shows the selected aperture in a little window, and is lacking the coupling fork that the Magnicon has. These Sigmas also have a distinct step in the lens barrel at the end, which is absent in the Magnicon:

aniramca wrote:
A photo of the Magnicon lens

I took a few photos with this lens, but ended up using it for parts for a mount conversion of a different lens. Optically, it was noticeably worse than my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 (V3) f2.8, so aside from this one being smaller & lighter, I didn't have any real reason to keep it around.... well, keep it around intact that is. Very Happy I think I paid $10 for it, and it had an old faded sticker on it marking it at $120. Shocked

aniramca - how much did the Magnicon run you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid mine for $30. It was this one or another brand called 'Image'. I also saw another 50-250mm Tokina, which has been around in the store for $40, and no one bought it.