Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lonely Planet Photo Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Lonely Planet Photo Contests Reply with quote

World trip for two ! Many member from us have excellent travel pictures , take a chance! I cross my fingers to you!

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/win/?affil=100google

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there is a winter photo too. Thanks Attila, I like Lonely Planet very much. Ian is my favourite.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Now there is a winter photo too. Thanks Attila, I like Lonely Planet very much. Ian is my favourite.

Mine too!! Such a funny guy!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the terms and conditions? Are they just harvesting photos for their own use (or the use of the stock agency that I believe they run) without recompensing the photographers?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found it - by entering the competition you give them an eternal licence to use your work for nothing in their guides and to sell it on to anybody they like without paying you a sou!

WHAT A BLEEDIN' CON TRICK!!!!

I used to respect Lonely Planet

(here's the text: General licence: Unless you opt-out of this licence by un-ticking the box on the entry page, in return for entering the competition you grant Lonely Planet a worldwide, non-exclusive, irrevocable licence in perpetuity to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of your entry in any media for the purposes of this competition and inclusion in Lonely Planet branded products and marketing materials, including the right to sublicense.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"non-exclusive" means you still have the rights to sell the picture, right? The minimum size of pic is 320x240 pixels, so if you doubt that they are just exploiting you - send some half-size pic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
"non-exclusive" means you still have the rights to sell the picture, right? The minimum size of pic is 320x240 pixels, so if you doubt that they are just exploiting you - send some half-size pic.

Yup. You can still sell it, but so can they, possibly for a large sum (sub-licensing) and they don't have to pay you anything. You effectively have given away, or at least shared, the copyright.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely they made this contest to collect best photos for free anybody win or not that is different subject.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be entering any of their contests.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

Can you explain why?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's harmful to everyone who is trying to make a living from photography. Everywhere there are travel organisations/publishers trying to fill up hard drives with photos given to them free from every part of the world in return for what? A promise that one image among 100,000 will win a free round the world trip. For that modest prize, they can avoid having to buy another Alamy or Getty stock image or pay a photographer to provide images from one city or another for years.

Look at those new photos from Burma we have posted here. I'm sure if they were entered there is a strong possibility that they would be featured repeatedly in Lonely Planet publications and yet the photographer might not even be a winner. If they were on Alamy or Getty, and Lonely Planet wanted to use them, it would probably have to pay $500 to $1,000 each time it used them.

(BTW, I really think many of them should be in a top-end stock agency, if they aren't there already).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is right Paul I think same.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Russ wrote:

Can you explain why?

I sometimes sell my snaps for publication. Why should I "give" away my "work" for someone else to profit from. I'm not opposed to giving away work and I have many times. Mostly for charity events, etc. But to just give away the rights so that someone else can profit or use as they please...

Russ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
Attila wrote:
Russ wrote:

Can you explain why?

I sometimes sell my snaps for publication. Why should I "give" away my "work" for someone else to profit from. I'm not opposed to giving away work and I have many times. Mostly for charity events, etc. But to just give away the rights so that someone else can profit or use as they please...

Russ

Got it , thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Russ wrote:
Attila wrote:
Russ wrote:

Can you explain why?

Russ

Got it , thanks!

Attilla

I don't mean to sound elitist or snobby. But many of us work hard to procure our snaps. Why give them to an organization of person that can well afford to purchase them, yet chooses to be cheap and undermine the photography market? I don't really care what other's choose to do with their snaps, but beginners being anxious to see your snap published, even if free, just discounts all the work that us other shooters go through.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The threat for professionals is not amateurs who send photos to competitions but other professionals who flock the stock photo systems with pro photos and sell them worldwide for $10-$30 per publish.

Ok - I understand if you are an amateur trying to get money out of snapshots, then the competition stocks are your main rivalry.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's going street B/W street shooting tomorrow? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much snow, really %&/#¤ to it. Mad

On the good side: the sea is almost free on some spots. Spring does come eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
The threat for professionals is not amateurs who send photos to competitions....

Among the amateurs there are some whose "snaps" are of the highest standard. When they give that free to a major publishing house they save that publisher from having to hire photographers or purchase photos.

I'm not sure if the second half of your comment was about stock agencies in general or the micros in particular. Either way, these exist in the commercial sphere, they are different models for rewarding photographers. The "competitions" are just thinly concealed efforts to grab something free.

Bear in mind that Lonely Planet's page size means that even pictures with severe CA or digital noise will probably look good, so it can substitute some pretty ropey snaps for photos from people who are investing time and money heavily in photography.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is basically standard globalization phenomenon. I just looked for a picture of a cat. Just standard cute cat. Local stock service picture is about $90. Istockphoto $15. Can't really compete on these markets here, both have the same distribution system.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"snaps"! How dare you! Just kidding. I call all photo's snaps. Regardless of how great or crappy they are. It used to really piss off my PJ teacher, and still, there are people unaware of my use of "snaps" that get offended when I casually use the term. Surprised

Yes, mine are mediocre snaps at best. But I'm trying... Crying or Very sad

Russ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
"snaps"! How dare you! Just kidding. I call all photo's snaps. Regardless of how great or crappy they are. It used to really piss off my PJ teacher, and still, there are people unaware of my use of "snaps" that get offended when I casually use the term. Surprised

Russ

Heh Smile
It's fairly common for pro PJs to be called 'snappers' by the editorial wank** (ahem!) team. Quite a different thing to use the term about ones self, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

Russ

Russ, I keep telling you to try other hobbies... Laughing

(I should be so lucky to do "snaps" like yours.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some work from an honest snapper (Insect alert, avoid if you can't bear bugs). I don't know if he is an amateur or not, but it is the sort of work some amateurs do:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallmen/473600186/sizes/o/in/set-72157603971814197/

I've never seen bugs as good as his in my life!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer, Attila!.

Regards.
Jes.