Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Re Topcor 135/2.8, 200/3.3, 50/1.8 (all latest, black ver)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Re Topcor 135/2.8, 200/3.3, 50/1.8 (all latest, black ver) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Has anyone used any of the above lenses? I wonder what their performance is like. I could find no info on them on google at all. It would appear that they are either rare or don't share the same reputation as Topcor's 58/1.4. Thx!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are rare branded as Topcor but are more common under other names. They were not produced by Topcon. Here's a link to more information.

http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/Topconclub/lens5.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. So in other words, these are OEM lenses not having the character and quality of earlier topcon lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not in regards to the mechanical aspects. The RE Auto Topcors are some of the nicest looking, made and working lenses I've ever laid my hands on and that includes a couple of Leitz Elmarit R lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, what about optically speaking? from what I read the OEM manufacture was merge with Topcor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 200mm f/3.3 and the 50mm f/1.8. In my opinion, they are ok, not bad, but really nothing special either. The older RE Auto Topcors are really mechanically (and to my eyes, optically) in a different league.

However, I do actually like the 50mm f/1.8, especially for its colors. But it is prone to flaring, so a hood is needed... Alas, this is the only Exakta/Topcon lens that does NOT lock into place in my 4/3/Exakta adapter, so using it digitally is a bit awkward. Sad Would use it more then, I guess...

I believe these newer RE Topcors were manufactured by the company that became Cima when Topcon stopped making cameras. They have the Cima/Cimko characteristic look. I don't know if Cima ever sold these lenses under other names, or were they just for Topcon. I doubt it...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blaahhi wrote:
I don't know if Cima ever sold these lenses under other names, or were they just for Topcon. I doubt it...

Hanimex and Continental Optics for two, and I'm sure there are more. The 200/3.3 is quite distinctive.

Cima was in business for itself before Topcon got out of the camera business. I have a Cimako labeled 135/2.8 with late 60s, early 70s styling.

http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/lenses.htm
Scroll down the page a bit.

There's also a short feature on a Cima 36-100 in a '74 or '75 issue of Modern Photography. It was to be one of the earliest wide to short tele zooms developed by someone other than a camera manufacturer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "RE Topcor" (and subsequent "AM Topcor" K-mount) lenses are definitely Cimko (Cima Kogaku). The unevenly spaced four screws holding on the lens mount are one clue, as is their patented lever system for auto-diaphragm. Also distinctive is the asymmetric diamond used as the focusing mark.

Definitely a cut below "RE. Auto-Topcor" lenses in finish and quality.

The 200/3.3 is respectable, and faster than anything Topcon made in that focal length. Very prone to internal haze on one element.

The normal is really a 55/1.7. If you have a 50/1.8, it might be the RE GN Topcor, which is "the real thing".

The Cimko lenses were sold under a lot of brands.