Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 70-210 lenses.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 70-210 lenses. Reply with quote

Regarding Viv S-1 glass. There are numerous (8 editions) Series 1, 70-210 lenses. However, for the sake of discussion, we will deal with the first three. The following editions are nothing to seriously consider, so we will concentrate on the first three editions, which are the good one's. The 4th & 5th editions are also 2.8-4 variable aperture model's, but lacking in construction quality (Cosina built). Due to the fact that the third one is a variable aperture lens, (2.8-4) it will be somewhat sharper than a fixed aperture lenses. It is much easier to design and build a quality variable aperture lens. The first edition was designed by Vivitar (Ellis Betensky, of NASA optics fame, had a hand in it) and built by Kiron. (67mm filter) It is a professional caliber lens, with a 1:2 macro feature built into it. It was the first zoom, designed with the aid of computers, that truly rivaled the OEM lenses of the time. That was in "76."

The second edition (my personal favorite) was built by Tokina, per, Vivitars specs. It too, is a fixed 3.5 aperture, but smaller, lighter and sharper. (62mm filter size). I really like it because of the fixed 3.5 aperture which is nice for focusing in dim light and long range flash work. However, not a true macro, 1:4 life size.

The third edition was made by Komine, and like the first two, is very well built. It is a 2.8-4 variable aperture lens, and the sharpest of the bunch. It has 1:2.5 life size macro from 100-210mm's, with a working distance of about two feet. Which can be quite useful. Can you see a discernible difference in slides taken with either one of them? No! Don't get caught up in bench tests. Any of the first three editions will give you professional-publishable images. I really like this lens, and in time may become my favorite.

Personally, I recommend the second or third edition of the line. I have and use all three of the first editions, and can highly recommend any one of them. Superb optics and construction.

If you have anymore questions about the Vivitar or Kiron lenses, or want more detailed information on a particular lens, please don't hesitate to ask. Are you aware of the Viv S-1 28-90 or the Kiron 28-85, Kiron 28-105 and the phenomenal Kiron 105 macro lens? As for Kiron glass, well that's another discussion. And let us not forget the Panagor (Kiron) lenses too...

Kiron Kid

Last edited by Russ on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you make a Panagor lens list what lens made by Kiron ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ
Best description of the Viv 70-210 series 1 differences I have seen. Thanks. How about Kiron primes? I have the 28/2 and it's pretty good. although I prefer the Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Russ
Best description of the Viv 70-210 series 1 differences I have seen. Thanks. How about Kiron primes? I have the 28/2 and it's pretty good. although I prefer the Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS.

The Kiron 24mm f/2 and 28mm f/2, are pretty good lenses. I've gotten good results with them.

Kiron kid

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6146/kironfrisbeeib1.jpg