Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 28-105 f/2.8 Adaptall II?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 28-105 f/2.8 Adaptall II? Reply with quote

Anybody know anything about this lens? Constant f/2.8 aperture, four low-dispersion elements, as well as three aspherical ones.

I followed a link over to Tamron's website, and they show it as a current product. Hmmm . . . I didn't think Tamron built any Adaptall II lenses anymore.

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/m28105mm.asp

Kept searching, found one used one on eBay. In Germany, must be a friend of Boris's because his price sure was high. Then I continued my searching and found a listing for it at B&H Photo and Video. They list it as a special-order only item, with a wait time of 7 to 14 days. $600 new.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/142491-REG/Tamron_A76100_28_105mm_f_2_8_LD_Aspherical.html

Dang, I want one of these!

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not familiar to me, though I do have an SP 28-80mm Adaptall II
lens from a long time ago. I like the lens a lot, but it needs a UV filter
to cut down the CA it produces. I'm waiting for the filter to arrive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know this lens !

Does anyone test it ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, but have it for sale at the moment.
It's really the af lens without the af motor. Manual focus is OK but not nicely damped like a 'proper mf lens would be and can be irritating because of that.
It's a very bulky lens, as perhaps you'd expect for a constant 2.8, but still a bit too big for my liking. Image quality is very good, very sharp and contrasty, but does have CA wide open. It's good value if you want a relatively cheap 28-105/2.8 but I only kept it this long because of my GAS problem with adaptall 2 lenses. I'm better now though and am beginning to let them go.... Confused

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a dutch photomagazine it was once reviewed as being rather soft at f/2.8, a step back from its predecessor the 35-105/2.8. Annoyingly, I can't find the article at the moment. What's the use of so much shelf space being used by magazines I can't find anything in. If you do portraits the softer f/2.8 may not be such a bad thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while I have never owned either lens, I recall reading somewhere that the tamron 28-105/2.8 was not as highly regarded as the earlier 35-105/2.8 lens.