Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Very nice find Cabessius, it's a very early one, of the earliest I've ever seen(any that stop down to f22 are very early, late 50's?), older than mine(00008xx), but seen more abuse than mine, it's worth having it CLA'd and have the dents removed from the filter ring.

Yes, I want to CLA it.
Does anyone know about a place to do that in Europe?.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cabessius,

Some folk say that the 000xxxx denotes preproduction/test models or prototypes. There's no definitive proof. There are old stories about them being reserved for party officials etc., with the subsequent argument that these lenses were made tae a higher standard than the others.

The 000 probably means 1960. The first zero or number, in the serial no., was the year of manufacture of Helios lenses 'til 1971, when they started using the first 2 digits. Probably no later than the early 60s as the f22 was phased out sometime around then. You have a rare lens, it's worth a CLA. Mine's is 00xxxx, made in 1961, fitted to a Zenit 3M and sold in early January 1962 ( ah have the provenance, in the shape of receipts and authentication certificates from the build)

Only the START version was made before 1960 (1958). The standard version first appeared in 1960/61.[/b]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
Hi Cabessius,

Some folk say that the 000xxxx denotes preproduction/test models or prototypes. There's no definitive proof. There are old stories about them being reserved for party officials etc., with the subsequent argument that these lenses were made tae a higher standard than the others.

The 000 probably means 1960. The first zero or number, in the serial no., was the year of manufacture of Helios lenses 'til 1971, when they started using the first 2 digits. Probably no later than the early 60s as the f22 was phased out sometime around then. You have a rare lens, it's worth a CLA. Mine's is 00xxxx, made in 1961, fitted to a Zenit 3M and sold in early January 1962 ( ah have the provenance, in the shape of receipts and authentication certificates from the build)

Only the START version was made before 1960 (1958). The standard version first appeared in 1960/61.[/b]

Thanks, awesome answer.
I also think that the numbers depend on the manufacturing date instead of pre-production or gifts for VIPs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VIP thing seemed plausible at the time, but as more serial numbers are seen, it just seems like they started at 0000001 and at some point few years later they switched to a date code prefix.