Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humulus wrote:
Your "44M-7" is actually a Helios-44M. You can tell by the silver A/M switch (later Helios 44 designs did not have it).

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Humulus wrote:
Your "44M-7" is actually a Helios-44M. You can tell by the silver A/M switch (later Helios 44 designs did not have it).

Thank you.

I agree with Humulus. But I also want to point out the Helios 44M is a very heavy version due to biger metal parts in relationship with other Helios-44, my experience told me the 44M is a good lens mechanically speaking. Test the lens and told as about. If you want to sell it, tell it is a 44M with a fake M7 name ring. I am collecting genuine Helios-44, when I get all the version I will buy fakes ones as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotografiasol wrote:
newst wrote:
Humulus wrote:

Thank you.

I agree with Humulus. But I also want to point out the Helios 44M is a very heavy version due to biger metal parts in relationship with other Helios-44, my experience told me the 44M is a good lens mechanically speaking. Test the lens and told as about. If you want to sell it, tell it is a 44M with a fake M7 name ring. I am collecting genuine Helios-44, when I get all the version I will buy fakes ones as well.

Sounds like a plan. I might just keep it for when you are ready. Rolling Eyes

One question, how will you know when you have all the versions? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:

Good one Laugh 1
I myself focus on collecting the 44Ms only. I'm getting close to having all its varieties.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:
newst wrote:
Humulus wrote:

Thank you.

Sounds like a plan. I might just keep it for when you are ready. Rolling Eyes

I'll never know for sure exactly if I have all versions, given the high number of them, and difficult historical tracking, but everything in life has some uncertainty. But forums like this allow us to know a lot of history.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I've decided to purchase an Helios 44-2 58mm in search of the gorgeous swirl bokeh, but I'm not sure which version I've found.
The serial number looks like it is from 1983 (83450192), but reading the first post of this topic says that there are 1983 copies from JOV plant and from MMZ plant…
Body is black and lettering is colored.
Serial number is on the barrel, not on the front.
Wich version is this?
It is from KMZ, JOV or MMZ plant?

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the JOV plant.

See, the logos here

http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.com.ar/p/sur-cette-page-vous-trouverez-les.html

[quote="jrsilva"]Hello!

I've decided to purchase an Helios 44-2 58mm in search of the gorgeous swirl bokeh, but I'm not sure which version I've found.
The serial number looks like it is from 1983 (83450192), but reading the first post of this topic says that there are 1983 copies from JOV plant and from MMZ plant…
Wich version is this?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! Smile

[quote="fotografiasol"]From the JOV plant.

See, the logos here

http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.com.ar/p/sur-cette-page-vous-trouverez-les.html

jrsilva wrote:
Hello!

Wich version is this?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more question;
The iris diaphragm opens and closes opposite from the scale…
I mean when I rotate to f/2 on the scale it closes the diaphragm, and when I rotate to f/16 it opens full.

Are there more copies of the Helios 44-2 like this?
Is this a normal defect?
Or the previous owner could have opened the lens (to clean or something) and then could't mount it right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:
Just one more question;
I mean when I rotate to f/2 on the scale it closes the diaphragm, and when I rotate to f/16 it opens full.

Is this a normal defect?
Or the previous owner could have opened the lens (to clean or something) and then could't mount it right?

It's normal. Preset system works like this on Helios-44 (and some other soviet lenses).
Some consider it's more logic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:
Just one more question;

Is this a normal defect?

Hi jr,

Are ye using the aperture ring (the second ring from the front of the lens?

Ye set the preset ring (first ring at the front) at say f4 - aligning it with the red dot, ye then close the aperture ring anti-clockwise and the ring will stop at that preset f stop with the diaphragm set . If set at f16 then the aperture ring has tae be closed all the way then ye'll see the f16 aperture. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
jrsilva wrote:
Just one more question;

Is this a normal defect?

Hi jr,

Ye set the preset ring (first ring at the front) at say f4 - aligning it with the red dot, ye then close the aperture ring anti-clockwise and the ring will stop at that preset f stop with the diaphragm set . If set at f16 then the aperture ring has tae be closed all the way then ye'll see the f16 aperture. Cool

Thank you Pierre.

TAo2, I don't get it...
I've never used an Helios 44 before and the previous owner didn't gave me any instructions about how to use it.
The first ring on the front of the lens (where there are printed the f/ numbers) is fixed.
The second ring (the one with the Red dot) open and close the iris (this ring it's very loose by the way), and that's the only ring I'm using to control the iris.
Then there's the moving barrel that controls focus and a last ring, close to the mount, that is also fixed.
I'm I missing something?

In the meantime, I can't mount the lens on my camera right now because I'm still waiting for the adapter that is on is way from Hong Kong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
jrsilva wrote:
Just one more question;

Is this a normal defect?

Hi jr,

Now that I'm at home with the lens in front of me I've managed to see what you mean.
I didn't noticed this feature before Smile
I've played a bit with the preset ring, but It's a bit confusing because of the inverted aperture scale.

I will shoot only between f/2 and f/2.8, and so I've placed the lock at f/2.8.
So it is now only open between f/2 and f/2.8.
I think this way I know exactly where f/2.8 is.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fault jr, ah wasn't clear enough...There are two red dots on the lens, one at the front of the lens and one on the aperture ring.

The first photo below shows...

the top arrow pointing to the red dot on the lens barrel- it doesn't move.
the middle arrow points to the preset ring @ f16
the bottom arrow points at the aperture ring- fully closed.

the preset ring will move, it is often very stiff, especially if the lens hasn't been used frequently.

The second photo shows the lens preset ring at f4, lined up with the front red dot and the aperture ring closed down so that the diaphragm is opened to f4

The best way is to open the aperture ring wide open (clockwise), then adjust the preset ring to the required f number, then close the aperture ring fully, anti-clockwise. The lens isn't "wrongly" set up, that's the way preset lenses are... Cool

Must have been writing as you were posting... Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
My fault jr, ah wasn't clear enough...There are two red dots on the lens, one at the front of the lens and one on the aperture ring.

The first photo below shows...

the top arrow pointing to the red dot on the lens barrel- it doesn't move.
the middle arrow points to the preset ring @ f16
the bottom arrow points at the aperture ring- fully closed.

the preset ring will move, it is often very stiff, especially if the lens hasn't been used frequently.

The second photo shows the lens preset ring at f4, lined up with the front red dot and the aperture ring closed down so that the diaphragm is opened to f4

The best way is to open the aperture ring wide open (clockwise), then adjust the preset ring to the required f number, then close the aperture ring fully, anti-clockwise. The lens isn't "wrongly" set up, that's the way preset lenses are... Cool

Must have been writing as you were posting... Like 1 small

Thank you for spending your time to describe with pictures how the preset works.
In fact, the ring was so stiff that I've never thought that it would move.
My version of the Helios 44 is different from yours.
I don't have the first red dot on top. I only have a small red dot on the aperture ring itself (the second ring from the top).
But I've managed to lock the aperture on the f/2.8, so now it only moves from f/2 to f/2.8 just like I wanted.
I will get used to have in mind that when I set f/2 on the aperture ring t really means f/2.8 Wink
Anyway, I will see the difference on the viewfinder.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Helios 44 2/58 n.0084594 KMZ (M39 mounted now to EOS 550D with M39-M42 adapter and M42 to EOS adapter) from father in law with (Helios) Jupiter-6 2.8/180 and Zenith M3.

Here is Helios 44
Helios-44 2/58 by Janne Ström, on Flickr

Helios-44 2/58 by Janne Ström, on Flickr

And here is Jupiter-6 (out of topic)
Helios Jupiter-6 by Janne Ström, on Flickr

Helios Jupiter-6 by Janne Ström, on Flickr

Today took few first photos both lenses with EOS 550D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found it odd that the Helios 44 & 44-2 preset system wasn't labeled the way I would have expected, it's recently been pushed further into the odd territory by my purchase of a very early 44 with the f22 aperture.

The early 44's preset ring is very Zeiss like, you have to push the ring in towards the camera and turn to set it, each f stop has a notch and the preset ring locks into it, the preset ring is part of the aperture ring, so moving the aperture ring means the preset ring moves with it as one, it's preset rings work as you would expect based on the markings, the marking all look similar, but how the preset rings work is slightly different, likely its more complicated, so it was probably simplified at some point, but the markings were not updated for some reason.
CZJ:

http://forum.mflenses.com/list-of-czj-m42-t-marked-lenses-t14105.html#119119

Helios 44 Early on the left:
If you set the 2 lenses as above, the early lens is stopped down, and the later version is wide open.

http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100,start,150.html#1349779

As an interesting tidbit, in searching for pics to use, I came across a post where someone has an early 44 nearly as old as mine.
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-44-and-helios-40-on-full-frame-canon-5d-i-t62595.html#1354624
Misha_M wrote:

The serial on my lens is really early 0000891,

Mine is a few numbers earlier.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lightshow,

Ah have a similar, later Helios 44 (M39/13 blades).

"Helios 44 Early on the left:
If you set the 2 lenses as above, the early lens is stopped down, and the later version is wide open."

The later version is wide open because the aperture ring has not been closed after setting the f11 aperture - evidenced by the red dot still at f11. The aperture ring has tae be turned anti-clockwise fully, it'll stop opposite f2 on the preset ring and the lens will be set at f11. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that the markings on the early version match what the aperture does, that the markings on the later version are opposite to how the aperture works, ie. if the aperture ring is @ f16 or what ever the preset ring is at, the aperture is wide open, and when the aperture ring is @ f2 the aperture is stopped down to the preset amount.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, this old preset system was also used on early KMZ Jupiter-11. Then some KMZ Jupiter-11 used the usual preset system like did a bit later KOMZ. Not only H-44 is in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version of Helios 44-2 is a 8 blade copy from 1983 and it have the same weird aperture and preset system.
I can't get used to it because I need to think in an opposite way.
I always need to look at the front of the lens to see if it is wide open or closed down.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:

I always need to look at the front of the lens to see if it is wide open or closed down.

You are not alone. Very Happy

Actually I don't really like those preset lenses for that reason....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I'm huge fan of all Helios lenses and I see you did a great job here. Well done!

I heard a 'rumor' of an old Helios version with lots of production bubbles in it, but I found no info in the web.
Have you heard, saw or owned such version of a Helios lens (58mm probably ...) Rolling Eyes

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 95AT 51.6mm/2 from TV camera

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say that the Helios 44-2 is not the sharpest edition of this lens, but I love my copy and it is very sharp.
I've piked up a 1983 copy of this lens to do portraiture and I find it very sharp.
Here's an example just a bit stopped down. Maybe at f/2.8... I find the reverse aperture ring on the preset version absolutely useless.
I just look directly to the front of the lens and stop down until I see the blades starting to show up. I think it stays more or less at f/2.8

(By the way: are there other editions of the 44.2 with a "normal" aperture ring?)

Di by Jaime Silva, on Flickr