Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Helios 44M Brass ring model 8 blades set outward Reply with quote

I have never seen this model. Is it ok that 8 blades are set outward? Never seen before.

P1050309 by Nobody Mess With Suburbans, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Helios 44 m39, 13 blades Reply with quote

Hi, i recently bought a Helios 44, m39 mount with 13 blades, sn 0031303 from a flea market, in a not so good condition, but at a really reasonable price.
I do not have an adapter, but i was able to change the lens mount with one from a helios 44-2 that i had around, until i get the adapter. I also had to clean and lube it, clean the glass from a lot of dirt and dust, but it is all done now.
I noticed that it had that really cool looking blue/purple coating, but also that thru the viewfinder everything is yellow-ish. Is that normal? The wather is bad here unfortunately, but when it improves, i will add some samples.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a Helios 44 No. 0000xxx Π
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HELIOS-44-lens-F2-58mm-f-M39-ZENIT-USSR-KMZ-BIOTAR-13-BLADES-1960-0000880-RED-P-/311164957211

Quote:
  1. KMZ
    1. silver, Π, "5,8cm", sn "N°000xxx", 13-blades, f/22 - rare
    2. silver, Π, "5,8cm", sn "N°00xxx", 13-blades, f/16 - rare
    3. silver, "2/58", sn "N°0xxx" or "N°00xxx", 13 blades
    4. silver, "2/58", sn "N°0xxx", 8-blades
    5. black + white lettering, "2/58", sn "N0xxx", 8 blades
    6. black + white lettering, M42, "2/58", sn "N0xxx", 8 blades

Mine appears to predate the 1a or it's just a lower serial number.
The one I posted about earlier with the bad flare, was a 1b.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! That's high price, but collectible, so...

I think all 000 and lower are from the same year of production (but yes, yours is earlier in the year).
Btw, I wonder if Helios 44 for start and for zenit follow the same production numbering... (a H44 for start with 000 is from the same year than H44 000 for zenit?) .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finaly solved the mystery around my Silver helios 44

The mystery was : The serial number doesn't fit to this lens. If this is KMZ, this lens should have been built in 1950, which is not possible. But it is not MMZ, because it's not MMZ logo, and MMZ never made H-44 with Red P and focal in cm.

So, after discussion with someone working for KMZ, it appears that this lens is kind of rare "hybride" from KMZ and MMZ. In 1965, MMZ started the production of H-44 in order to support KMZ. So, KMZ sent to MMZ some machines, documations and few not finished lens in order to start from something, and get used to machines. My H-44 is certainly one of those lens that were sent from KMZ to MMZ. The lens was started in KMZ, they engraved the name ring, but not the serial number, because the lens was not finished. MMZ finished it and engraved their serial number "a la MMZ". This information looks to be confirmed by the fact that the SN of my lens is the lower he saw from MMZ Helios-44.

Undirectly, it also show that in 1965 (or 1964), KMZ was still doing Helios-44 with SN 00xxxxx , because the red P and cm disappeared during the 00 production (there are some 00 with red P, other 00 (latest) without red P... and no 0xxxx exist with red P).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I purchased an unusual Helios-44M-5. I've never encountered any Vilejka made Helioses before Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: When the Vilejka made Helios was made? Reply with quote

Humulus wrote:
Today I purchased an unusual Helios-44M-5. I've never encountered any Vilejka made Helioses before Shocked

Yes, they are seen in a very little number. Please, could you tell us the year your Vilejka made Helios was made? Thank you.

Last edited by fotografiasol on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Helios 40-2 Reply with quote

Last edited by tmry on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: When the Vilejka made Helios was made? Reply with quote

fotografiasol wrote:
Please, could you tell us the year your Vilejka made Helios was made? Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: When the Vilejka made Helios was made? Reply with quote

Humulus wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:
Please, could you tell us the year your Vilejka made Helios was made? Thank you.

Thank You! Please, can somebody explain why the Vilejka plant without a tradition of making Helios-44 manufactured at last a very little number of them so lately?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: When the Vilejka made Helios was made? Reply with quote

fotografiasol wrote:
Humulus wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:

Thank You! Please, can somebody explain why the Vilejka plant without a tradition of making Helios-44 manufactured at last a very little number of them so lately?

Hi FGF,

MMZ and Vilejka merged around 1970 and became BELOMO.

They continued using their own logos on Zenit/Helios products, along with the original branding. Probably, simply tae use up stocks. Their photographic products were mainly aimed at home markets, so maybe an added distinguishing logo so that buyers would recognise export from local products. Since the home products were always perceived (in later years) as inferior.

Ah think Zenit cameras/equipment are still made in the original Vilejka plant. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: When the Vilejka made Helios was made? Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:
Humulus wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:

Hi FGF,

They continued using their own logos on Zenit/Helios products, along with the original branding. Probably, simply tae use up stocks. Their photographic products were mainly aimed at home markets, so maybe an added distinguishing logo so that buyers would recognise export from local products. Since the home products were always perceived (in later years) as inferior.

Ah think Zenit cameras/equipment are still made in the original Vilejka plant. Cool

I'm not sure about it, there were a lot of legal problem between them and KMZ... and on BeLOMO site there isn't any camera.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: When the Vilejka made Helios was made? Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:
Humulus wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:

Hi FGF,

Thank you for your answer. I'm also not sure. The problem is I never saw a Vileyka made Helios until I see this 44-M5 from 1997. And this Helios does not look like any MMZ made Helios, instaed it looks 100% like a Valdai made 44-M5.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: When the Vilejka made Helios was made? Reply with quote

fotografiasol wrote:
TAo2 wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:
Humulus wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:

Hi FGF,

Thank you for your answer. I'm also not sure. The problem is I never saw a Vileyka made Helios until I see this 44-M5 from 1997. And this Helios does not look like any MMZ made Helios, instaed it looks 100% like a Valdai made 44-M5.

Ah know that Zenit 130s were made in Vilejka, so that takes them intae the 21st C. at least. Mebbe no camera production now.

The Helios lens is likely (as said above) a Valdai product, since they made lenses for Belomo for years after that company was formed. Ah think the Vilejka symbol was used as mentioned above. FSU cameras and lenses had been branded like that throughout their history - e.g. FED branded Industar lenses.

If it was easy tae work out, this thread would've lasted around 3 pages... Laughing Cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: More about this lens? Reply with quote

Can someone tell me a bit more about this lens that I purchased? I've read through here and it doesn't seem to match up with the dates that MMZ manufactured the 44-2, but it has their logo and a serial starting with 76. Any help would be appreciated!

My picture isn't uploading, but the description in my message is accurate, MMZ logo, 76 serial, on a 44-2.

Last edited by Nero299 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: More about this lens? Reply with quote

Nero299 wrote:
Can someone tell me a bit more about this lens that I purchased? I've read through here and it doesn't seem to match up with the dates that MMZ manufactured the 44-2, but it has their logo and a serial starting with 76. Any help would be appreciated!

My picture isn't uploading, but the description in my message is accurate, MMZ logo, 76 serial, on a 44-2.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the way production of the 44 moved around so much, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that MMZ was ordered to produce the 44-2 in 76 just to keep the factory busy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research and it seems that the rare Vilejka Helios-44M-5 was one of kit lenses for the ZENIT 130 camera (together with Valdai Helios-44M-5 with new barrel design and Valdai Helios-44M-4) manufactured in Belarus in the late nineties.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: More about this lens? Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Nero299 wrote:

MMZ was still producing the 44-2 in 1976.
Well, this lens was not produced in 1976 because the serial number system of MMZ is different. Important here is the first digit (7). So the lens was produced in 1977. MMZ then tried to make their "own" Helios-44, the Helios-44-3, since 1980.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: More about this lens? Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Nero299 wrote:

Well, this lens was not produced in 1976 because the serial number system of MMZ is different. Important here is the first digit (7). So the lens was produced in 1977. MMZ then tried to make their "own" Helios-44, the Helios-44-3, since 1980.

No, it is 1976, first 2 digits are the year on MMZ lenses since 1971/2.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: More about this lens? Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
BurstMox wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Nero299 wrote:

From what I read on zenitcamera, which is quite faithfull source, it isn't :

"У объективов Гелиос-44-2 производства ММЗ 1969 г. и 1970-х годов был тот же способ нумерации (соответственно, объектив с номером 5012345 — здесь выпуска 1975 года)."
from : http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-serialnumbers.html#n3

It tells that Helios-44-2 made in MMZ in 1969 and 70's still use the usualy MMZ sn system (exemple is given).

Maybe you misunderstand with Valdai (Jupiter optiks) H-44-2?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: More about this lens? Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
TAo2 wrote:
BurstMox wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Nero299 wrote:

"У объективов Гелиос-44-2 производства ММЗ 1969 г. и 1970-х годов был тот же способ нумерации (соответственно, объектив с номером 5012345 — здесь выпуска 1975 года)."

It tells that Helios-44-2 made in MMZ in 1969 and 70's still use the usualy MMZ sn system (exemple is given).

No BM, the translation is Helios 44-2, made in MMZ in 1969 and 70 not 70s. As I said, from 1971 MMZ used the first 2 digits of the s/n (as all other manufacturers) allowing for old stock etc.

Cool

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: More about this lens? Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
BurstMox wrote:
TAo2 wrote:
BurstMox wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Nero299 wrote:

No BM, the translation is Helios 44-2, made in MMZ in 1969 and 70 not 70s. As I said, from 1971 MMZ used the first 2 digits of the s/n (as all other manufacturers) allowing for old stock etc.

Cool

It's not that big deal, but 70x mean that it's not only 70, and all the 70's. Also the exemple given is pretty clear : if serial is 5012345, then it's 1975. Smile First digit is 5, so even in 1975, the first digit rule ruled.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: More about this lens? Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
TAo2 wrote:
BurstMox wrote:
TAo2 wrote:
BurstMox wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Nero299 wrote:

Cool

It's not that big deal, but 70x mean that it's not only 70, and all the 70's. Also the exemple given is pretty clear : if serial is 5012345, then it's 1975. Smile First digit is 5, so even in 1975, the first digit rule ruled.

Well BM, Calvin's asking for info on his lens, the info is...MMZ followed KMZ'S S/N.There was a brief hiatus in 1969/70, when both[i] KMZ and MMZ change their system (coinciding with MMZ becoming Belomo). Lenses beginning with 9 were made in 196[b]9[/b] - lenses beginning with 0 were made in 1970.

Under the old system, if a lens from KMZ or MMZ begins with 5 it was made in 196[b]5[/b]. From 1971, both KMZ and Belomo (MMZ) used the two digits of the year as the first two digits of the S/N . eg 71xxx - 1971, 76xxx - 1976. Ah can't be any clearer than that. That is the correct sequence... Cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: More about this lens? Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:

Well BM, Calvin's asking for info on his lens, the info is...MMZ followed KMZ'S S/N.There was a brief hiatus in 1969/70, when both[i] KMZ and MMZ change their system (coinciding with MMZ becoming Belomo). Lenses beginning with 9 were made in 196[b]9[/b] - lenses beginning with 0 were made in 1970.

Under the old system, if a lens from KMZ or MMZ begins with 5 it was made in 196[b]5[/b]. From 1971, both KMZ and Belomo (MMZ) used the two digits of the year as the first two digits of the S/N . eg 71xxx - 1971, 76xxx - 1976. Ah can't be any clearer than that. That is the correct sequence... Cool

What you say is clear, but that doesn't mean that it's true Smile . Zenitcamera says the opposite (lens made in 1975 used the old 1 digit system). Btw, what is your source?