Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

which wide angle lens... for a Canon 5D MkII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: which wide angle lens... for a Canon 5D MkII Reply with quote

I just wanted to know what lenses should I be in the look out...

I would like something >50mm

Like a 28mm or 35mm Very Happy that will not create a whole in my wallet Laughing

It will be mostly for video on my 5D MkII... thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grab a Yashica ML 28/2.8 or 35/2.8 Smile Or an Olympus Zuiko possibly.

Edit: Ooops, I'm getting carried away! Best check the 5D Mark II compatibility chart first Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek has it.
Yashica and Zuiko both make great 28's and 35's for little money.
One huge advantage of the Zuiko for use with Video mode is the front Aperture ring.
It is much easier to adjust aperture while film and not accidentally move the focus ring with Zuiko lenses.

They are excellent as well. If you can pony $200 I would suggest the f2/28mm. Super lens for so little money.
The F2.8 version is also excellent but lacks the floating element of the f2 (improved close range performance).

In 35mm lenses the Russian f2/35mm Mir24 is also excellent. Beautiful colors and plenty sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 24mm zuiko and it performs quite well with the 5D. it's not an expensive lens for a wide angle like that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heathcliff wrote:
I have a 24mm zuiko and it performs quite well with the 5D. it's not an expensive lens for a wide angle like that.

I'm searching Ebay and found a Olympus OM-System 3,5/24mm Zuiko Shift

price was about $2k... does anyone know of other shift lenses that are cheaper? Laughing (a lot cheaper !! )

I have always wanted to try a shift lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zuiko 24 shift is unique and superb but very spendy.
Zuiko has a 35 shift I bought one once for $400 although they usually go much higher.
I think Nikkor has some offerings. Maybe someone else has experience.
There also some Russians.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how abt contax d28/2.8 or d35/2.8 ? they are cheap lenses with great c/p.
If you like to play video i think a wider apture lens will be of much fun,so why not a vivitar 28/1.9 ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried zeiss 20mm f2.8 and it was awesome on borrowed 5d. I heard that zeiss 20mm f4 is good too, and cheaper.

For video, try to find one that has less focus movement(little zoom while focusing) I heard some vivitars are great for that, some 28mm (35mm) I cannot remember details?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for indoor video on the 5DII, I like jena 20:4 and distagon 25:2.8
no distortion and no need of anti shake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey poilu

another vote for the yashica ml 28/2.8--i got mine for around $60usd and its easily worth 4xs that much in IQ. i also like the tak 35/3.5 for a little less money, but if the have the extra $ it's the ml, no contest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS GUYS! lot of good info...

Here is a little test video (most of the footage was done with a canon EF 50mm 1.8... The focusing ring is pretty loose in manual mode, so I might consider getting a 50mm manual lens too) Maybe something like one of the Carl Zeiss 50mm... so many 50mm to choose from on ebay Laughing

Anyway, the video might be NSFW (wife in bikini Shocked )
http://www.vimeo.com/9608229
pass: qwerty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panning with my 20mm 2.8 zeiss, vignettig is because I had big filter (just glass) made for crop cameras http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE5gcUa0jy8 ,really no perspective distorsion, awesome lens

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for a Zuiko wide angle lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zuiko 18mm/f3.5 and the 21mm f3.5 are fine,with an excellent reputation.

The Nikkors AI-S 18mm/f3.5,20mm/f2.8 and the 24mm/f2.8 are all excellent performers as well.

If those create to much of a hole in your wallet.The Nikkor 28mm f3.5 shoots well,probably better digitally then on film,and won't make a big hole in your wallet.

The Nikkor 35mm f2 AI or AIS shoot a bit better digitally then on film,too,and for the price a bargain.