Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron/Vivitar 28mm f2 (Nikon mount)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Kiron/Vivitar 28mm f2 (Nikon mount) Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this lens? An elderly friend of mine says he has one for me...

Last edited by Puplet on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard only 28mm f2 and 20mm f2.8 or higher.Which one ? Are you sure 20mm f2.0 ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought exactly the same but there is mention of a Vivitar 20mm f/2.0 Close Focus Lens on this page:

http://www.craigcamera.com/lit_tuvw.htm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be very rare I watch Ebay and local photo shops frequently I never seen any copy of them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! typing mistake! 28mm f2...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well respected lens I also want to buy one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone will want this... very reputed lens...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend doesn't want anything for it! He said he doesn't know when it got it and doesn't use it any more, and I was the first person he thought of when he wondered who would make use of it...

I have very good friends!

Is the Kiron/Vivitar 28mm f2 worth a lot of money? If it is, I shall suggest he sells it instead (he is very elderly and doesn't have much money).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I've got one and it is a very nice lens. But you won't sell it for really much money (maybe Euro 80 - 90,- at the most for a mint copy, for a normal copy you might get Euro 40 - 50,-, I guess). I got mine for € 10,- but this was an absolute bargain, I was really lucky. That's not the normal price.

Here are some pictures:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=1020&highlight=kiron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, and thanks for the valuation! I'm looking forward to having a go with the 28mm and will post a few shots myself once I have some!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: First samples Reply with quote

Well, got my lens this morning and took a couple of test shots of my cats. I've lost my umbrella so the light from my flash is a bit harsh... Clearly, from my quick play, the strength of the 28mm f2 is the shallow depth of field it offers to relatively close subjects - not something I have done in either picture. I shall try this later though!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Samples at f2 Reply with quote

I'm getting really excited about this lens at f2 now. What it's doing to the out-of-focus highlights (see yellow flowers) is absolutely amazing. A little bit like "Leica glow"?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet, I have the Viv (Kiron) 28/2 lens. Does yours have the blue "VMC"
around the rim of the front element?

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not even sure it's a Kiron-built Vivitar anymore. It says: '49mm Vivitar 28mm 1:2.0 MC Close Focus Wide Angle No, 28500874"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not Kiron made, Kiron serial numbers started with 22xx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Kimone (28-xx) manufactured.. Kiron quality... will never go wrong..
(Just keep yourself to 22-xxx and 28-xxx line up)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Komine built lenses are as good as Kiron built lenses.
BTW, I am selling a Vivitar (Komine) 2.8/28 at the moment... Wink
EDIT: No longer I do!

Last edited by LucisPictor on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Seymore! Had another go with this lovely little lens - great portrait lens both wide open and stopped down:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love your cat pictures puplet.

One thing I like about cats is: no matter where it is taken, a good cat picture makes you always feel like home Smile

EDIT: ooh I see now the baby pics - what a lovely little one!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Its Kimone (28-xx) manufactured.. Kiron quality... will never go wrong..
(Just keep yourself to 22-xxx and 28-xxx line up)

The earlier Vivitars, amde by Tokina are very good too. Tokina made the classic Series 1 90mm f/2.5 macro lens for Vivitar. They also made the second edition of the Series 1 70-210, which is very good. Better than the Kiron model.

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I didn't know that better than Kiron, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Hmm, I didn't know that better than Kiron, thanks!

Attila

The second edition (Tokina made) and the third edition (Komine made) are both, smaller and sharper than the original Kiron made model. You really should try the third edition. It's very good, and goes 1:2.5 life size in macro mode. And you are about two feet from the subject matter when in macro mode.

Kiron Kid

Your picked up wrong url see below the right one, seek on page url for forums!
[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kironlensesstickerao1.jpg[/img]

[URL=http://imageshack.us]