Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any EF lenses with mechanical focus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Any EF lenses with mechanical focus? Reply with quote

I bought an EF to FX dumb adapter thinking I would set the 40mm pancake wide open and manual focus. I later realized that is of course impossible as it has electronic focusing. I Googled it but only found talk of a Canon 50mm f1.4 having a manual focusing clutch. I am not sure if that would work? Do you know of any lenses which will work?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them. I thought all of them had mechanical focus but maybe the STM lenses do not?

The ones I have used on E-mount with a dumb adapter are: 10-22mm, 100mm 2.8 usm macro, 70-300mm is usm.

I used the macro the most with the aperture locked at f/8 to scan film.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

how do you control aperture with a mechanical adapter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
blotafton wrote:

how do you control aperture with a mechanical adapter?

The only way (using the lenses iris) is to mount the lens on an EF camera, set the aperture desired, press & hold down DOF preview then dismount the lens before releasing the DOF preview.

This option doesn't work for me as I don't have an EF camera, but the only two EF lenses I have aren't worth using anyway. In a much worse state than any of my 50 year old lenses...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Most of them. I thought all of them had mechanical focus but maybe the STM lenses do not?

The ones I have used on E-mount with a dumb adapter are: 10-22mm, 100mm 2.8 usm macro, 70-300mm is usm.

Great news, thanks. Time for shopping Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small collection of EF lenses and they all have mechanical focus. I think you'll find that it is only the more expensive "pro" models that have electronic focus, such as the 85mm f/1.2L and other large, fast telephotos.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find that most, if not all, EF/EF-S lenses have a terribly short focus ring travel.
This can make it pretty sketchy landing proper focus with such lenses, particularly
shorter focal lengths. The same generally applies also to third-party lenses such as
Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc.

I've owned a few; I have 2 now.
My current EF 28-135 has a longer focus travel than my Sigma 10-20,
but both are short as compared to manual lenses. I find it nearly impossible
to attain proper manual focus with the Sigma at any 'zoom' setting, while the
Canon 28-135 is difficult at 28mm but easier going as the reach increases.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
You'll find that most, if not all, EF/EF-S lenses have a terribly short focus ring travel.
This can make it pretty sketchy landing proper focus with such lenses, particularly
shorter focal lengths. The same generally applies also to third-party lenses such as
Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc.

I've owned a few; I have 2 now.
My current EF 28-135 has a longer focus travel than my Sigma 10-20,
but both are short as compared to manual lenses. I find it nearly impossible
to attain proper manual focus with the Sigma at any 'zoom' setting, while the
Canon 28-135 is difficult at 28mm but easier going as the reach increases.

Thanks Mr Addled. I didn't find any on eBay yesterday so the adapter is going in the "camera stuff" basket. My recently bought Yashica is ultra easy to focus and the pristine metal construction of a mint Super Takumar yesterday left me cold when looking at EF lenses. Maybe my forthcoming first FD lens will warm me up to Canon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BnG_Murphy] I didn't find any on eBay yesterday so the adapter is going in the "camera stuff" basket. My recently bought Yashica is ultra easy to focus and the pristine metal construction of a mint Super Takumar yesterday left me cold when looking at EF lenses. Maybe my forthcoming first FD lens will warm me up to Canon.[/quote]

I don't use my EF lenses, but I do use EF adapters quite a bit.
They are about the shortest of the SLR mounts and widely adaptable, so if using a range of legacy mounts there's much less space needed for an mirrorless to EF adapter & then EF to lens adapters for the lenses being used.

I also use several special EF adapters (helicoid, focal reducing...) and can use these with nearly all my other SLR lenses greatly increasing flexibility without excessive cost/weight penalties.

There are a few SLR mounts that don't adapt to EF currently I think I only have a few of them - one Minolta/Sony A mount and five MD lenses that are rarely used.