Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 2X Teleconverter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 2X Teleconverter Reply with quote

First stupid question... These are adaptable, right? But for example here it says "for Nikon". Click here to see on Ebay

Which are better for macro with SP 90mm, 2x teleconverter or extensiontubes?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the specific lens, but generally speaking extension tubes are best for macro and not only because you can get closer to the object, but also because you don't add any optics to your scheme (any additional glass, be it in front or in the back of your lens, will always somehow degrade your lens' performance).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very rare exception (such as the Vivitar 90/2.5 Ser 1) where they included an adapter with glass that had been designed into the lens. The adapter on the Viv is used to take the lens to 1:1 and is extremely sharp in this case.

patrick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is an adaptall-2 converter I have one. I used only once with a 300m sp lens I couldn't handle it. Focal length was to long and speed was very slow F11! In my opinion unusable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this particular adapter was designed into the lens. Here is a picture of the adapter on the lens:

and here is a picture taken in natural light of the marking on my Sigma 105/2.8 macro by the Vivitar:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you are confused. This is not a macro adapter, nor an extension tube. It is an "extender" (what Canon calls them) the rest of us call them a 2x teleconverter.

What you do is, you remove the mount from your Tamron Adaptall-2 lens, and sandwitch this teleconverter in between the Adaptall-2 mount and the lens.

They are a little clumsy to use, because you of course must remove the Adaptall from the lens, then install this, with the same clumsiness that is usual with Adaptall mounts, and then re-install the Adaptall mount on the back, with the same clumsiness all over again. I can't imagine doing it in a hurry, or low light. They can only be used with Tamron Adaptall-2 (I don't know about the older Adaptall) lenses. Also, they won't work with some Tamron lenses, because the back lens element on some Tamron lenses will interfere with the teleconverter, just like happens on some lenses and Canon "extenders"

That would have been a good buy, if you wanted one, but they don't fit Nikon as pictured. You would need a separate Adaptall-2 mount for Nikon body, and then all the other end would fit, would be an Adaptall-2 lens

I really have not experimented very much with the one I have, except to learn that in my age and shakey hands, I can't hang on to many telephoto's anymore, much less with a 2X hanging on there.

What I DO try sometimes, is this: I have a Tamron SP 1.4X teleconverter, which fits my Canon EOS, but it WILL NOT work with the focus chips I use in some of my manual lenses, such as my Nikor 180mm F2.8. What I do there, is I made a "washer" out of a plastic lid cover, that fits down inside the Canon XT and covers up the electrical connector. I can manual focus, that's all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

440roadrunner wrote:

What you do is, you remove the mount from your Tamron Adaptall-2 lens, and sandwitch this teleconverter in between the Adaptall-2 mount and the lens.

Thanks that's what I wanted to know. But it would become a little too long for macro... I think I try to find extensiontubes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't thinking straight when I wrote the comment about macro----the thing is, that this particular 2x won't work on many "short" lenses, and I don't know if it will fit the 90mm, either, because I don't have one, referring, here, to lens element interferance. It won't for example, fit my little Tamron Adaptall 28-70mm F3.5, model 159A, on which the rear element comes out too far.

Here's some more:

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/200F.html

http://www.adaptall-2.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This TC is not optimized for macro usage, Tamron SP 90 original extension is a simple tube without lenses. I used a Vivitar 2X TC with 135mm Pentacon lens, result was only slightly worst than without TC. T loose 2 fstop big compromise, main reason is this why I not use TC. I found two technic two make good magnification for macro shooting.

1) reverse mounted Pancolar 50mm f1.8
2) Kiron made macro TC for Vivitar with this TC you can turn your 50mm lens to a pretty good macro 1:1 lens.

My personal advice forget all TC , buy a Nikkor 55mm f3.5 Non-AI lens,as usual going pretty cheap on Ebay. It has macro 1:1 capability and provide very good result.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Vivitar 2x macro teleconverter for Canon FD. It's designed for 50mm lens.

Vivitar 2x Macro TC + Canon FD 50mm 1.8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks magnification is right, I can't judge the quality based on a scanned pic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know the manufacturer of your Vivitar TC? I didn't find serial number on mine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine, made by Kiron.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/meyer_optik_oreston_50mm_f1_8/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which mount is that? Mine looks the same except it has Canon FD mount and auto/manual switch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two copies with Nikon mount. We can trade one of them ..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can use Nikon mount with Pentax Sad

Maybe I change to Canon at some point Razz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seek on Ebay, if you are lucky you can get it for a few money with Pentax mount.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Vivitar Manufacturers Reply with quote

@Riku

Here is the guide to the Vivitar manufacturers:

http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm