Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Filter thread repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Filter thread repair Reply with quote

Just got my Distagon 28/2.8 and found out that not only the outside of the rim is dented (shown in ebay pic and description), but the filter thread is also bent out of shape (completely not mentioned nor shown in pic in auction) and cannot accept any filter or hood. I am wondering what would be my best option? Send it out to repair? How much does it usually cost? Or get one of those lens vise and do it myself (I have zero experience). Please advice. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can first get one of these to fix the dent in the filter ring.

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=LV1

and afterwards thread a filter on a few times to get the threads right. I ordered mine from the site a few years ago. There's also a pliers version of the above to help take the dents out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wilson, I was thinking about getting that too...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What country are you in?

If UK I have a set of filter vice tools so I could straighten it for you. If not, it will be cheaper to buy your own.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in San Diego US, I don't even know if there is a reputable repair shop nearby and how much they charge...