Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dust on screen > SLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Dust on screen > SLR Reply with quote

Hello people

I just get my RTS ! Fantastic camera, and like new. No wear, foam is new etc etc . Just one issue : the screen is dusty ! Its removeable though, i tried to do my best, cleaned a bit with a swab but its still dusty with several spots which seem to be very tough to get removed.

can a dust blower do the trick for good ? or any other thing ? any infos much appreciated, thanx.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for you new beauty !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanx Attila, i was searching for one since a long time as a backup for the RX. 90£ , but very good condition.
Here it is by the way Cool

This does not answer my dust problem ... any clues ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great camera! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Regarding cleaning your focusing screen, a tip I got from an old-time Nikon user when I was just getting started with photography was to put the screen in a film container, add water and a bit of mild detergent, put the cap on and shake. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary. This works very well. If your screen won't fit into a film container, just use some other small container that you can seal so you can shake it.

I just cleaned the focusing screen on my Canon FTb a few days ago. It isn't removable. A previous owner had managed to smear black gunk all over it, most likely from the decomposing mirror foam. I used a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean the gunk. It came right off, and I wound up with a pristine screen. So, I can vouch for this approach as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx a lot cooltouch, much appreciated. Will try the first solution tomorrow, i think soap will do , or a drop of liquid washer.

And yes i think i'll enjoy the camera. It feels good in hands, and is not heavy as i thought.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if you already tried to remove without success, there is another way..

If you can remember.. some decdade's away it gives old vinyl records...
some of them where "wet driven"...

There was a special with this records.. you did have to drive them wet all the time, because the dust particels where solved by a liquid named "Lenco-Clean"..

For People who wants to play this records, it was horrible to hear such records without drive them wet, because the liquid dry's out and the dust makes some noise like a campfire...

So that was the time, to find a solution to remove this thouhg dust particles.
The solution was a product called "Disc-o-film".. it was a water resolution based liquid, which lays itself in the spline and binds the dust particles..

Today this "Disco-o-Film" is also used for cleaning Sensors of DSLR and was in the post vinyl time intitially taken for cleaning Focusing Screens..

Maybe this can helpfull for you to know this.
I dont know, how this is named in your country.. but i thing it must have nearly the same name.

I would give this liquid a try..

For further information.. see this link

http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/sensor/sensorcleaning.html

the procedure is the same as described for cleaning the sensor..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My strategy for dusty screens is based on my utter lack of craft skills - I get used to the dust! On the rare occasion when I've tried to clean a fixed screen using anything other than a blower brush I've always made things worse ... I've managed to clean mirrors without damaging them, but not screens. They either get scratched, get dust and hairs stuck in the rangefinder wedges, or acquire cleaning stains Embarassed

In our house, my dear wife hangs the pictures - she says giving me a hammer is just too great a health and safety risk.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it mentioned several times that a soft artist's brush used in conjunction with a canned air duster often works very well.

If that doesn't work, Katz Eye offers some nice details for a wet cleaning. Note their emphasis in using DISTILLED WATER for final rinse.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought sensor-film (aka Henry's disc-o-film).
http://www.sensor-film.com/

I 'll try this method as my sensor needs good cleaning.

Thanks Henry.
Wink