Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor O 35mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Nikkor O 35mm f2 Reply with quote

This is my lens for the month.I have been trying to get one for over a month now, and I finally won one. Very Happy

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!!

One bid only ? Isn't people are silly ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! That's a bloody great price. And you had to wait only a month for that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Walter, you really are the king of bargain hunting. Smile

Look forward to samples. if you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Congrats!!!

One bid only ? Isn't people are silly ?

Thanks. Very Happy
I was suprised. Really thought it would of sold for more.

Last edited by walter g on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Congrats! That's a bloody great price. And you had to wait only a month for that?

Thanks. Very Happy Yes, I must be slipping it took a whole month. Smile Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Damn Walter, you really are the king of bargain hunting. Smile

Look forward to samples. if you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands! Wink

Thanks. Very Happy This one will be a keeper for me, if it is as good a lens as I think it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, from the samples I've seen from it I would expect it to be a keeper too. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to have that lens and sold it when I got the Leica Summicron-R 2/35.
I have to add "unfortunately"!!

I actually liked the character of the Nikkor better than the one of the Cron 35.

Now, I own a MIR-24 (as my 2/35) but I would trade it for a nice Nikkor 2/35 anytime.

So, congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good solid lens! Had the same non-AI version.... Mine used to be glued to my Nikkormat FTn back in the day...that lens was excellent.

When I first started shooting the F3 picked up the 35/2 AI-S.Don't know if it was copy variance or what,but I went through several 35/2 AI-S's till I found one as good as that the old 35/2 O.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Used to have that lens and sold it when I got the Leica Summicron-R 2/35.
I have to add "unfortunately"!!

I actually liked the character of the Nikkor better than the one of the Cron 35.

Now, I own a MIR-24 (as my 2/35) but I would trade it for a nice Nikkor 2/35 anytime.

So, congratulations!

Thank You. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
Good solid lens! Had the same non-AI version.... Mine used to be glued to my Nikkormat FTn back in the day...that lens was excellent.

When I first started shooting the F3 picked up the 35/2 AI-S.Don't know if it was copy variance or what,but I went through several 35/2 AI-S's till I found one as good as that the old 35/2 O.

Thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. Great price!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the OC multicoated version, great lens, congrats.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Very Happy
I should have it monday. If this rain ever stops, I will post some test shots.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the AIS version - it is an excellent lens Smile . Actually I like it better than Distagon 35 2.8 QBM Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stilian wrote:
I've got the AIS version - it is an excellent lens Smile . Actually I like it better than Distagon 35 2.8 QBM Smile

Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it today, but didn't really get much time to try it. The scuff on the front optic is very small and shouldn't effect IQ at all. No slop in the focusing, and it is butter smooth.
I wouldn't be suprised if at some time in the past if it had a CLA. Probably when it was AI converted.
One thing strange is the fstops are very soft. Not like it's worn, but more that it was modified on purpose.

I tried shooting with it for a few minutes, but didn't get any good results wide open. I will try tomorrow with a tripod.
This was my best atempt, and it's not very good. It's got me worried. Hope there are no issues with the lens.
Minor PP. Shot at MFD.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...I wonder why you are worried? Question Looks to me like it's going to be very
good judging by the quick snapshot. In-focus area looks very sharp, and the bokeh
looks like it's creamy smooth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile
I was shooting at MFD which is 0.3, so thin DOF. So it could be user error,but if I look thru the shots I took almost all of them are backfocused.
I will test it properly tomorrow.

I did a quick test against my Minolta Hg 35 2.8 just to see what I would gain with the faster lens.
With the camera set at ISO100, 0EV, the Nikkor at f2 the camera chose 1/250th sec.
With the camera at ISO100, 0EV, the Minolta at f2.8 the camera chose 1/100th sec.
Handheld , so not an acurate test, but one I want to repeat with a tripod.
The camera was my Panny G1.

Last edited by walter g on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always tough to get details with light bright colors.I'm sure the lens will do fine.

Besides the O version and AI-S version, also have an AI version of the lens.Got the lens for free,since light degassing was visible on a few elements.Did some test shots,but the degassing didn't seem to degrade image quality much compared to the other 35/2's.Dis-assembled and gave it a CLA and shot it again.The image quality improved ever so slightly.Here's a shot just after cleaning and re-assembly at MFD, stopped down a wee bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Boomer. Smile That gives me a real good idea what to expect from this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know all versions were susceptible to flare & ghosting....so leave the hood on,so it's ready for any stray bright light.

Still one of the sharpest vintage Nikkors every made,and is sharper especially in the corners compared to the Nikkor AF-D.

There was reason this lens was favored by photographers and still is....more then a few kept this lens on a dedicated body,because it always delivered in spades and still does....and many famous photographs have been taken with this lens.

The Nikkor 35/1.4 is a touch sharper at f2.0,but stopped down to f2.8 they are almost equal, beyond that the 35/2 starts getting sharper then the 35/1.4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
Just so you know all versions were susceptible to flare & ghosting....so leave the hood on,so it's ready for any stray bright light.

Still one of the sharpest vintage Nikkors every made,and is sharper especially in the corners compared to the Nikkor AF-D.

The Nikkor 35/1.4 is a touch sharper at f2.0,but stopped down to f2.8 they are almost equal, beyond that the 35/2 starts getting sharper then the 35/1.4

Thanks. Smile I actually wanted the 35 1.4, but it's out of my price range. It's nice to know how they compare.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35/1.4 AI and AI-S needs to be stopped down to f2 just to sharpen up the center of the image....both the 35/1.4 and the 35/2 are extremely sharp in the center from f4 to f5.6,with the 35/2 being a touch sharper in the corners...by f8 the 35/2 is better in the center and the corners then the 35/1.4 AI or AI-S...the 35/2 also has a flatter field shown less distortion then the 35/1.4,and has a much more pleasing bokeh then the 35/1.4 (the 35/1.4 bokeh is horrible unless shot very close or stopped it down).

One other note about the 35/1.4 wide open, besides not being very sharp it has very pronounced curvature of field and veiling glare at f/1.4...and it's also harder to focus wide open...the good points about the 35/1.4 is it's one of the sharpest Nikkors in the very narrow range of f/4-5.6 (but so is the 35/2)....and handles flare and ghosting surprisingly well for a fast lens.

All in all I like both lens....with the 35/2 being more versatile with a wider usable aperture range,has a flatter field with less distortion and is sharper in the corners,but doesn't handle flare and ghosting well.....the 35/1.4 handles flare and ghosting well for a wide,has more distortion, and has a very narrow aperture range for sharpness(but all is not lost if you use the wider apertures for artsy rendering where distortion,veiled flare or ghosting is desired and/or a absolutely sharp image is not required),be aware that the most pleasing bokeh with busy backgrounds is achieved close up or stopped down.

Shooting on film the 35/1.4 does fine...shooting on a crop sensor DSLR the 35/1.4 image is sharper corner to corner,though there is some CA towards the corners...however shooting on a full frame DSLR the CA (chromatic aberration) is better behaved but the corners require f4-5.6 for the best quality.

The 35/2 shoots excellent on film and crop or full frame DSLR's with a flatter field,image sharpness excellent throughout the aperture range and well controlled CA....but be aware the flare and the qhosting and shoot appropriately to handle this.

In closing Nikkor 35/1.4 is typically given higher marks then the slower 35/2...

My conclusion is they were prejudiced or blinded by the speed,because it's obvious which lens is more versatile,easier to use and has a wider range.